Mar. 13, Habs vs Flames, 7 PM

dlbalr

5 minutes ago, brobin said:

... bergevin has twice tried to reset this team. He has failed over and over again... he had a choice.. reset or rebuild.. he chose reset and IMO, he made a mistake... 

The ONLY unknown is whether MB wanted to but Molson wouldn't let him ... as I recall his hiring, it certainly sounded like Molson set the bar as playoffs ASAP

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The ONLY unknown is whether MB wanted to but Molson wouldn't let him ... as I recall his hiring, it certainly sounded like Molson set the bar as playoffs ASAP

I am absolutely certain that a strategy-level question (reset, rebuild, tank, whatever) is, in the end, a Molson decision.

Just now, tomh009 said:

I am absolutely certain that a strategy-level question (reset, rebuild, tank, whatever) is, in the end, a Molson decision.

Agreed ... but did MB ever ask to use a true rebuild ... if not, the "make the playoffs and see what happens" crap of most of his tenure is on his shoulders

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... but did MB ever ask to use a true rebuild ... if not, the "make the playoffs and see what happens" crap of most of his tenure is on his shoulders

That's true. But I don't think we'll know that unless and until Geoff Molson some day writes his memoirs.

Yes... molson could have fired him if he disagreed with the strategy... so ultimately he needs change the direction...

personally, I think the barn will be full or close enough during a true rebuild..

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

All true ... unfortunately this team was built such that KK and Suzuki have carry much of the load at centre, even if danault was his usual self

Danault has now received some "treatment" (physio?) for his injury and Ducharme expects him in the lineup for tonight.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Danault has now received some "treatment" (physio?) for his injury and Ducharme expects him in the lineup for tonight.

Danault at 100% hasn't been helping the Habs this season ... he may be in the lineup but at what: 80-70-60% ... last game he was only able to take 10 face-offs, and DD admitted post-game/next-day that the injury impacted Danault being able top take faceoffs ... a full strength Evans might better than a "gutting it out" Danault ... while any player can be injured in any game, if Danault relapses the Habs are left with two REAL, if very inexperienced, centres and jack-of-all-trades Byron

Just now, GHT120 said:

Danault at 100% hasn't been helping the Habs this season ... he may be in the lineup but at what: 80-70-60% ... last game he was only able to take 10 face-offs, and DD admitted post-game/next-day that the injury impacted Danault being able top take faceoffs ... a full strength Evans might better than a "gutting it out" Danault ... while any player can be injured in any game, if Danault relapses the Habs are left with two REAL, if very inexperienced, centres and jack-of-all-trades Byron

Conventional wisdom heading into the season was that the Habs would be on the lookout to add a veteran C at the deadline.

With Danault having completely forgotten how to play in the offensive zone, that has become absolutely imperative, assuming the Habs make the playoffs and intend to make a serious run.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Conventional wisdom heading into the season was that the Habs would be on the lookout to add a veteran C at the deadline.

With Danault having completely forgotten how to play in the offensive zone, that has become absolutely imperative, assuming the Habs make the playoffs and intend to make a serious run.

AND ... the quality of centre required has increased (i.e., a Nate Thompson won't help much)

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Stall would be perfect for us. 

Byron - Stall - Perry would be great

I don’t see a centre coming though. I see a Dman in our future. I just hope this Dman is an actual upgrade and I also hope we don’t give up a young player to make it happen 

They're somewhat different needs. At D, we arguably need a serious acquisition - a top-4 puck-mover who will become part of the core. That's waaaay harder to get (and to work under the cap, etc.). At C, though, I'm thinking more in terms of a rental, like Staal. Should be a lot easier and more realistic to attain.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Stall would be perfect for us. 

Byron - Stall - Perry would be great

I don’t see a centre coming though. I see a Dman in our future. I just hope this Dman is an actual upgrade and I also hope we don’t give up a young player to make it happen 

At least one very-good, non-roster prospect will have to be included IMO to get anyone who is an upgrade ... likely along with at least a first rounder (I've no issue with giving up this years') ... I expect another prospect or decent pick will be required

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

At least one very-good, non-roster prospect will have to be included IMO to get anyone who is an upgrade ... likely along with at least a first rounder (I've no issue with giving up this years') ... I expect another prospect or decent pick will be required

I agree 

I guess I should have said that we can’t afford an A level prospect to be dealt. 

A B level is expected but not a Caufield unless an elite player is coming back.