Ulf Dahlen

CerebusClones

It's too bad that we already have a lot of deadwood to get rid of because Dahlen is actually a guy who could help this team. Is a great veteran who works hard every night. He is very strong along the boards, and consireding that most of our players (except maybe Bulis) hardly ever come out of a corner with the puck, his addition would be very much appreciated.

Now, Im not saying that he's the last piece of the puzzle, and he's all we need to win the Cup, but IMO siging him to a 1 year contract could fill a hole in our lineup, which would allow us not to burn some kids like Perezhogin or Higgins by putting too much pressure on their shoulders too soon.

However, since we are already looking for unloading a few players, I doubt the Habs would go for a guy like Dahlen.

Also, I think the media (and thus the fans) would be on his back a little too much, since he's a little slow, and not very agressive for his size...

Originally posted by CerebusClones

IMO siging him to a 1 year contract could fill a hole in our lineup, which would allow us not to burn some kids like Perezhogin or Higgins by putting too much pressure on their shoulders too soon.

Uh?

Where is this "hole" in the lineup?... we cleared deadwood so kids could play, and you want to bring in more dead wood.

Btw we have a full lineup without Perezhogin or Higgins in the lineup, if either sticks with the team it'll be because he has shown he's ready... not "pressure".

Bulis-Koivu-Audette

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Juneau-Ward

Dwyer-Kilger-Ryder/Dackell

And that still leaves out Perreault.

The only type of player worth bringing in would be of the 1st liner variety, anything less than that we're better off just playing the kids.

I believe he was saying that Dahlen would be a good signing without guys like Audette on the team...and I totally agree with that.

If Audette wasn't there then Zednik would be on the 1st line and Dahlen could slide in nicely on the 2nd or 3rd line...

Dahlen is strong, plays hard, and is skilled. I think he would fit in well with the Habs offensive AND defensive schemes.

Unfortunately, with Audette around there is no place for Dahlen...

With or without Audette... I want no part of another average vet like Dahlen.

No more average vets damnit!!!

Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Geez.

Gimme Ward, or Ryder, or Perezhogin on the right side instead of Dahlen any day of the week. Or move Zed back to RW and Higgins comes in at LW.

We also have Sundstrom on RW we barely have any room for.

No more!! ;)

Repeat after me: Youth movement, Youth movement, Youth movement !!!

:wall:

You need veterans to be successful. You cannot just go with kids... not that we are Cup contenders anyway, but a good veteran like Dahlen could be the difference between at least making the playoffs or not.

And as Zowpeb understood, I would need to see guys like Audette and Dackell leave before even thinking about bringing in Dahlen.

People only talk about Theodore, but Gilmour had a huge role in the Habs making it to the playoffs 2 years ago. I don't think we would have made it without him.

Also, good veretans make good teachers for kids. Juneau's presence helped a guy like Bulis, and Gilmour was good teacher for Zednik. Im sure Theodore benefited from Hackett's experience, just like Im sure Hossa could learn a thing or 2 with Dahlen's presence in the lineup.

Just look at Steve Thomas with the Ducks last year. He was a key element to their success in the playoffs, even though statistically he didn't look so good.

That's one thing I find sad here. People don't seem to realize that it takes more than scorers to win hockey games. It doesn't matter that Juneau brings stability and great defense to the game, people are on his back because he can't produce as much as he did in Boston (and btw, played with Oates).

Originally posted by CerebusClones

That's one thing I find sad here. People don't seem to realize that it takes more than scorers to win hockey games. It doesn't matter that Juneau brings stability and great defense to the game, people are on his back because he can't produce as much as he did in Boston (and btw, played with Oates).

Those arent the only reasons people dislike Juneau. I (among others) dislike Juneau because he is a rumoured "locker room cancer" and some also (myself included) beleive he was the media-rat back in the 01-02 playoffs... Not to mention that his only friend on the team is Dackell...

Juneau is a cancer , Juneau is a problem... factor in his lack of offensive production and his "average" defensive play from last year and we HAVE TO GET RID OF HIM...

Sure rumours are rumours (about Juneau being a locker-room problem) , but when you follow the team as closely as I do (Not trying to toot my own horn) you get to a point where you can tell the real stuff from the bs.

Glad we could find closure to this.

I watched him for 2 years in Washington DC, where he came together with Jeff Halpern and Steve Konowalchuk to form a solid checking line.

Unfortunately, his old age has caught up with him, but I still respect his achievements.

Underrated to say the least, I wish him well in Sweden.