Team Quebec

Mont Royale

Originally posted by Mont Royale

The leader of the Bloc Quebecois, Gilles Duceppe, has proposed that a Team Quebec be created, to compete along with Team-Rest-of-Canada at the Olympics.

http://tinyurl.com/bdehu

This ridiculous idea brought to you by: the Blocheads.

:can::hlogo::can:

Not living in the FUN province of Canada, are the people of Quebec really against all of Canada? It just baffles my mind how people can vote for a party that has no chance of power in Canada and exists only to separate all of us. (I know the rest of the political clowns don't deserve our vote either, but they will not divide our country)

Do people in Quebec really hate the rest of Canada by voting this way? I am only curious as I cannot fathom My Canada without Quebec. Quebec is just as important as all other provinces and territories to me. My fathers side of the family grew up in Val d'Or and I don't get this from my cousins, aunts and uncles. Just trying to figure out why so many people in Quebec hates the rest of Canada.

I'm a born and raised english Quebecer, who loves the game of hockey, and wakes up at 3am to watch our boys in the olympics! It would kill me to see us seperate from Canada!

I think most Quebecers are against seperating, but a lot of us vote for the Bloc in the federal elections so that we have a voice in parliament. Also, what are the other options? not to get too political, but the Liberals steal from us, the conservatives are pretty much republicans, and the NDP is a pure joke.....

Hey guys wake up, it has nothing to do with you or if we love or not the ROC (rest of Canada)! We love you very much! We just want to be recognized as a legitimated and distinct nation.

I think the idea of a Quebec hockey team is great. It has been done in Scotland and Wales for Soccer/rugby, so why not hockey? Plus, for the ROC, why wouldn't they be happy if their country gets 2 medals at the olympics? One more chance to get the USA out of the podium hehe ;)

Originally posted by Makh2o

I'm a born and raised english Quebecer, who loves the game of hockey, and wakes up at 3am to watch our boys in the olympics! It would kill me to see us seperate from Canada!

I think most Quebecers are against seperating, but a lot of us vote for the Bloc in the federal elections so that we have a voice in parliament. Also, what are the other options? not to get too political, but the Liberals steal from us, the conservatives are pretty much republicans, and the NDP is a pure joke.....

:clap::clap: Good Post.

I feel like I walk around all day with Martins hand in my back pocket. Harper would have us all in Iraq toting guns and Layton would go on a spending spree...

A voice in parliment is good if it has teeth. Did the Bloc do anything to help Quebec in the last year? All I saw was bickering and shouting between all four parties with nothing really accomplished for anyone except another election.

I really would not want to see Canada create groups like in the USA where they have for example city blocks or streets either Republican or Democrat. That really confused me as I would hope all Americans would stick together to kick ass when required. I watched this last USA Federal Election where they showed how people moved into neighborhoods by how neighbors voted.

Never will I judge a fellow Canadian by how they vote, live or what province they are from as we have to stick together to protect our nation. I just get confused when I see a party bent on the destruction of Canada get so many votes from the citizens of Quebec.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

The leader of the Bloc Quebecois, Gilles Duceppe, has proposed that a Team Quebec be created, to compete along with Team-Rest-of-Canada at the Olympics.

Not living in the FUN province of Canada, are the people of Quebec really against all of Canada? It just baffles my mind how people can vote for a party that has no chance of power in Canada and exists only to separate all of us. (I know the rest of the political clowns don't deserve our vote either, but they will not divide our country)

Do people in Quebec really hate the rest of Canada by voting this way? I am only curious as I cannot fathom My Canada without Quebec. Quebec is just as important as all other provinces and territories to me. My fathers side of the family grew up in Val d'Or and I don't get this from my cousins, aunts and uncles. Just trying to figure out why so many people in Quebec hates the rest of Canada.

This is way too complex an issue to discuss in this space. Simple answer: no, most Quebecois don't hate the rest of Canada. But if you go read the messages boards on the Globe and Mail website once in a while, you'll see enough "kick those frogs out of Canada" remarks to make you sick to your stomach - things like make a certain segment of the population in Quebec think that the rest of the country hates THEM.

As for voting for the Bloc... listen, ignore sovereignty for a second. If there was say, an Alberta-based political party who pledged that, if elected, they would only look our for Alberta's best interests in Ottawa. Don't you think this party would win a whole bunch of seats in Alberta?

As for the PQ, there are only two real political parties in Quebec. One happens to be sovereigntist. So who should the people in Quebec vote for if the provincial Liberals run the province into the ground? There many reasons why people in Quebec vote the way they do, sovereignty is hardly the only political issue in that province.

Again, this is way too big a topic to properly hash over here...

Funny he started with the goalies, huh? He probably doesn't want to talk about a Robidas-Dandeneault defensive pairing trying to stop a Crosby-Iginla-Heatley line...

Thanks for the responses guys. I have French relatives that never talk about this as to them it is not important. I just kind of feel like English/French in Canada is in a war because of IDIOTS like foreign and French player hater Don Cherry and T-DOT media that consistantly trash French people. Sometimes I m embarrasd living close to T-DOT.

This is sort of like the old days with Western Canadians that felt like they were not included in Canada. Guess we all have beefs with confederation and just have to work together to centre out the biggots and people who would divide us. I know this is a hockey board, but just wondered what my fellow habs fans felt about this. Canada is pretty big hockey nation and could probably put together a French and English team. Would make for fun arguements here. :)

Originally posted by sakiqc

Hey guys wake up, it has nothing to do with you or if we love or not the ROC (rest of Canada)! We love you very much! We just want to be recognized as a legitimated and distinct nation.

I think the idea of a Quebec hockey team is great. It has been done in Scotland and Wales for Soccer/rugby, so why not hockey? Plus, for the ROC, why wouldn't they be happy if their country gets 2 medals at the olympics? One more chance to get the USA out of the podium hehe ;)

International soccer, rugby and cricket STARTED with England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland playing each other. It's hardly the same situation.

The only comparable situation really is the Basque Country and Catalonia in Spain. They have their own national soccer teams, but they aren't recognized by FIFA and therefore don't play any official games, only exhibitions.

Quebec would have to separate first before international sports governing bodies recognize it and Quebec gets to compete internationally. That's just the reality of international sports...

Quebec has full participation in Canada, from considerable influence on politics, the economy, bilingualism, and yes, contributing to a very strong hockey team! Why is it better to be separate, when you can be part of a stronger whole?

Everybody knows that Quebec is unique (a 'distinct society', if you will). The rest of Canada is distinct from Quebec. Newfoundland is distinct from everyone! It's our differences that make Canada the unique country it is, the best in the world - in a lot of people's opinion (including the UN... until recently, but we're still highly rated).

Also, I'm not sure about getting 2 medals. One of the comments on the Globe was that we could have 2 teams that never win a medal, instead of 1 that wins gold... much like we haven't seen England, Scotland, Wales win the World Cup for a long time.

On the topic of having Quebec's concerns represented by the Bloc, it's really only when there is a minority government when they hold the balance of power that they are of some importance. Even then, the federalists want to avoid working with them because of the political consequences in the ROC. Real influence is controlling who's in power, which Quebec can do if they line up in numbers behind a federalist party.

On the topic of having Quebec's concerns represented by the Bloc, it's really only when there is a minority government when they hold the balance of power that they are of some importance. Even then, the federalists want to avoid working with them because of the political consequences in the ROC. Real influence is controlling who's in power, which Quebec can do if they line up in numbers behind a federalist party.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'll go even a step further and say that the Bloc will never effectuate real change even in a minority government, for the simple reason that no other party will want to be seen as collaborating with them. But in this situation, perception is much more powerful than reality - and the perception of many is that Quebec's interests are better served by sending 60 Bloc MPs to Ottawa rather than voting for a federalist party. Not saying I agree with them. And this is hardly a new phenomenon in Canada: the Progessive Party, the United Farmers of Alberta, the Reform Party and others have played the "regional protest card" to get MPs elected. It seems to be the Canadian way...

Originally posted by Makh2o

You got the Marijuana Party

Candian Action Party

The Communist Party of Canada

And the Progressive Canadian party...

THe NDP has to put a Candidate From QUebec not one imported... thats the biggest problem from Quebec Eyes (me being one in the past):que:

in any case vote for what feels right (or left) At least vote... My Scientific non comformist upbringing tells though if Quebec separatist divide wouldnt we have the same right to have Each city say Montreal for example and vote to seperate from Quebec or not?

And not to mention all of our Native populations Why dont they get a saying...?

:can:

The NDP's organization in Quebec is a joke. In 2000, they ran a first year McGill student in Westmount-Ville Marie who'd only lived in Quebec for 3 months and didn't even have a Quebec health card. Mind you, that's probably the safest Liberal riding in Canada so the candidate would have been destroyed no matter what, but still...

I personally wish the Rhinoceros party would come back. I'd love to put the federal debt on visa!

I believe that 70 some-odd percent of the residents of Quebec said, after the last referendum, that they wanted to stay in Canada and that the question that was given by the Bloc was misleading which led to the very close actual vote.

I'm not sure that the people of Quebec realize that they will NOT be allowed to use the Canadian dollar, they WILL have to take a percentage of the Canadian debt, and they WILL have to have passports to enter Canada. As I understand it, they were consistently told by the Bloc that they would separate but still get all the benefits of being in Canada.

Sure, have your cake and eat it too.

;)

~~

As to Quebec having its own team, here are my thoughts: ABSO-frikkin-lutely... if they agree to sign the Constitution and stop talking about leaving the country. If that's a part of what it takes to ensure they have their distinct society while remaining in Canada, that's something I'd be 100% for.

On the other hand, let's be honest here, that's a very low political tactic employed by the Bloc. They're now appealing to the hockey fans in the Province and that will actually have hockey fans who are ignorant of politics voting for the Bloc just to see a Quebec team. It's a cheap buying of votes and another deliberate attempt by that political party to mislead voters in order to get what the party wants.

Originally posted by Colin

I believe that 70 some-odd percent of the residents of Quebec said, after the last referendum, that they wanted to stay in Canada and that the question that was given by the Bloc was misleading which led to the very close actual vote.

I'm not sure that the people of Quebec realize that they will NOT be allowed to use the Canadian dollar, they WILL have to take a percentage of the Canadian debt, and they WILL have to have passports to enter Canada. As I understand it, they were consistently told by the Bloc that they would separate but still get all the benefits of being in Canada.

Sure, have your cake and eat it too.

;)

~~

As to Quebec having its own team, here are my thoughts: ABSO-frikkin-lutely... if they agree to sign the Constitution and stop talking about leaving the country. If that's a part of what it takes to ensure they have their distinct society while remaining in Canada, that's something I'd be 100% for.

On the other hand, let's be honest here, that's a very low political tactic employed by the Bloc. They're now appealing to the hockey fans in the Province and that will actually have hockey fans who are ignorant of politics voting for the Bloc just to see a Quebec team. It's a cheap buying of votes and another deliberate attempt by that political party to mislead voters in order to get what the party wants.

I agree 100% Colin. I would just like to bring up that this notion was brought forward by a leader of a national political party. He has no real decesion making power in Quebec (other then being elected by a national party in Quebec) and I think he should leave the decesion to the people who actually have been elected, perhaps the Premeir of Quebec...

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by TheBigRedC]

back to the Equipe Quebec idea -- bad for Olympics but it would be cool if there were a North American regional tournament -- teams from Quebec, Ontario, West (Can and USA western-born players), and East (as above Maritimes down through Eastern US). That would be an interesting tournament...

I think the idea of a Quebec hockey team is great. It has been done in Scotland and Wales for Soccer/rugby, so why not hockey?

One problem Quebec is not a country Scotland and Wales are a country.

The Bloc has made a huge blunder, Quebec hockey players are celebrities in Quebec. And the Bloc has just lost their support if they ever had it.

Vincent Lecavalier for example said today, " I play for Canada not Quebec." All the Quebec hockey players interviewed today said that this was absurd.

But what is even more damaging to the Bloc is that I wouldn't be suprised if ex-nhl stars start running against the Bloc and the PC.

Mario Lemiuex comes to mind among many others I can think of.

We just want to be recognized as a legitimated and distinct nation.

Why? What exactly about Quebec makes them a "distinct" nation. Because they speak a different language? I got news for you, alot of countries have people who speak more then one language.

There is a country that speaks all French, it's called France incase you didn't know.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

We just want to be recognized as a legitimated and distinct nation.

Why? What exactly about Quebec makes them a "distinct" nation. Because they speak a different language? I got news for you, alot of countries have people who speak more then one language.

There is a country that speaks all French, it's called France incase you didn't know.

Its more than just language. Its culture, values, way of life, way of thinking, laws, history, etc. Unless you're living in some isolated bubble, living in Quebec is like living in a different country. Quebec is distinct, weither one wants to admit it or not. Its just a fact.

Now do I think it means Quebec should seperate? Not at all. But basic logic is that Quebec should at least be governed in a fashion more adapted to its reality. And the same applies to Newfoundland or Saskatchewan.

The majority of Canadians are not gaining anything from the Federal's Government over-centralization and overzealous Nation-building through Social-program spending; except for a certain class of bureaucrats.