Team Quebec

Mont Royale

Originally posted by Cataclaw

Team Québec? Stupid.

Québec a distinct society? Yes. (more or less)

Is that a reason to separate? No.

De-centralizing federal gov't thereby granting more power to provinces? Yes.

:can::que:

I think that pretty much sums it up.

As far as Team Quebec goes though... anyone remembers the mini-Tournament the NHLPA held during the 94-95 lockout? Team West, Team Ontario and Team Quebec played some 4-on-4 tournament. Not all big names were there, but it was still fun. Sakic & Linden were great together. Claude Lemieux was on fire. Fun stuff.

Its more than just language. Its culture, values, way of life, way of thinking, laws, history, etc. Unless you're living in some isolated bubble, living in Quebec is like living in a different country. Quebec is distinct, weither one wants to admit it or not. Its just a fact.

Now do I think it means Quebec should seperate? Not at all. But basic logic is that Quebec should at least be governed in a fashion more adapted to its reality. And the same applies to Newfoundland or Saskatchewan.

The majority of Canadians are not gaining anything from the Federal's Government over-centralization and overzealous Nation-building through Social-program spending; except for a certain class of bureaucrats.

That's a cop out. There is no difference in ways of life, values, laws between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

Every province in different. Ontario is different in ways to Alberat and Manitoba, does that mean everyone should sperate cuz they're a little different and speak a different languaue?

And what part of Quebec culture is different? I am not buying this. They're a province in Canada and happens to speak more French then English. WHat is this world coming to when a province wants to seperate because of a few differences that are no more different then other provinces.

Team Québec? Stupid.

Québec a distinct society? Yes. (more or less)

Is that a reason to separate? No.

De-centralizing federal gov't thereby granting more power to provinces? Yes.

:can::que:

I agree that Quebec is a distinct society. (Altough only due to the fact that they speak a differnt language then the rest of the country, and the french movies and tv shows on tv.)

2. Completely agree on that one. Quebec should be in Canada and Canada needs Quebec.

3. He comes the disagreement. If you do this you eventually turn the country into a bunch of mini-countries like The United Kingdom for example. If you think the beaucracy is bad now then you don't want this option. It also kills national unity. If you go to britian and talk to an englishman he will say I am ENGLISH! If you go to Wales you will here I am WELSCH! And you really will get it if you go to Scotland.

And if you think this will kill the separatist movement you are completely wrong. Why? Because in Scotland for example the have a Prime Minister, hell Scotland is a country. But its in the United Kingdom or Great Britian and its leader is Tony Blair. So really all Scotland is, is a province like Quebec where instead of calling the goverment leader a primier the call him the prime minister.

This is why the Meech Accords and the Charolette Accord would not have quinched the separatists thirst. Because in the end Quebec would have become a Country within a country. (See Scotland Above). And the Bloc and PQ would end up becoming the likes of the Scotish Nationalists who want complete independence from Britian.

This is why the referendum will never go thru if the question is phrased right because in the end I think Quebecers just want to call their premier prime minister but still want to stay in Canada.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

That's a cop out. There is no difference in ways of life, values, laws between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

Every province in different. Ontario is different in ways to Alberat and Manitoba, does that mean everyone should sperate cuz they're a little different and speak a different languaue?

And what part of Quebec culture is different? I am not buying this. They're a province in Canada and happens to speak more French then English. WHat is this world coming to when a province wants to seperate because of a few differences that are no more different then other provinces.

Um, Leafs Suck -- no offence but maybe you should stick to leaf-bashing?

There is nothing here about separation by the way -- I will weigh in. I've lived in Québec, Ontario and Alberta (and BC and California and Japan and Guatemala) and I will grant you that Newfoundland is different from Manitoba, ok sure -- but there is something more qualitatively different between Québec and the ROC. For sure, it's in the spirit in the street and the mood in the home, and you'll find in in the food and in bed too...

And in hockey of course, which I hope is an acceptable segue back to an area where we can be more comfortable in discussion...:hockey:

But just for arguments' sake, consider:

Forwards: Simon Gagne, Martin Lapointe, Vincent Lecavalier, Mario Lemieux, Mike Ribeiro, Luc Robitaille, Marc Savard, Martin St. Louis, Alex Tanguay, Patrice Bergeron, Daniel Briere, Marc Chouinard, and Pierre Turgeon.

Defence: Francois Beauchemin, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Phillipe Boucher, Patrice Brisebois, Matthieu Dandenault, Eric Desjardins and Denis Gauthier

Goal: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo José Theodore.

The D is weak, no?

For sure, it's in the spirit in the street and the mood in the home, and you'll find in in the food and in bed too...

I didn't realize I needed a degree in order to have an opinion on why Quebec should stay in Canada. All provinces are different, and you don't hear them crying to seperate. The arguments from the Bloc and there supporters are trivial.

Why does Team Quebec have Stephane Robidas, Dandenault, etc on their team? They can find better. Bouillon is in their top 3. And Brad Richards can play for them too.

Dion Phaneuf wasn't listed on the team but only on Team Canada. Strange. I thought he was from Quebec.

It would be a pretty sick team though. Of course, a lot of players would only want to play for Canada, though.

hehehe I was just treating it hypothetically.

Like what if teams were alphabetically determined, the "K" team with Koivu Kovalev and Kovalchuck would be good up front.

Anyway right let's respect each others' politics but stick to hockey I agree.

...Or an all-mullet team, now that would be something...

Originally posted by sakiqc

Hey guys wake up, it has nothing to do with you or if we love or not the ROC (rest of Canada)! We love you very much! We just want to be recognized as a legitimated and distinct nation.  

I think the idea of a Quebec hockey team is great. It has been done in Scotland and Wales for Soccer/rugby, so why not hockey? Plus, for the ROC, why wouldn't they be happy if their country gets 2 medals at the olympics? One more chance to get the USA out of the podium hehe ;)

To tell you the truth and I may sound like a reactionary dinosaur for saying this but I feel that accepting to have something like this to take place would simply put more gas in the separatist movement in that province.

As it is, this sentiment is pretty well located in the traditionalist francophone segment of the population. Many of the younger people are too concerned with more universal considerations to get really involved in this kind of movement. So, to put more of a focus on this kind of thing will simply make the nationalist feelings more 'real' for a greater portion of the population.

And here we would go again... for the 4th time... sheeeeshhhh. :puke:

Originally posted by Leafs Suck
Its more than just language. Its culture, values, way of life, way of thinking, laws, history, etc. Unless you're living in some isolated bubble, living in Quebec is like living in a different country. Quebec is distinct, weither one wants to admit it or not. Its just a fact.  

Now do I think it means Quebec should seperate? Not at all. But basic logic is that Quebec should at least be governed in a fashion more adapted to its reality. And the same applies to Newfoundland or Saskatchewan.  

The majority of Canadians are not gaining anything from the Federal's Government over-centralization and overzealous Nation-building through Social-program spending; except for a certain class of bureaucrats.

Maybe you should'nt venture in discussions where you know too little to comment.

All the differences I mentionned are facts. You say there's no differences in laws? Quebec kept huge portions of the Napolean Code, whereas the ROC uses Common Law. Right there you're proven wrong.

Do I need to go on? Do I need to start naming a whole list of actors, singers, bands, TV shows, movies, events and etc. which are famous in Quebec but completely unknown in the ROC, and vice versa? Do I need to start listing all the small and big differences in dating, friendships, familly, etc.? Do I need to start listing all the differences of views on common historical events?

Refusing to recognize those fundamental differences is the issue that has been dragging down the entire Canadian political process for the past 30 years.

What you said Leafs_Suck was a perfect example of this seemingly irationnal, stubbordned refusal to admit that there's this one place in Canada where everything is radically different. Not better, not worse: just plain different.

To realize just how different Québec is, you need only turn to American and "rest of Canadian" television. Then watch a Québec show. The differences are rather startling.

Still, I maintain that despite these differences, separation is not the answer. The inuits are even more radically different than Québecers and they don't seek independence.

Anyway.. there are a gazillion arguments on both sides of the coin and i don't feel like getting dragged into this. Last time i debated the issue on another forum, the thread went on to 45 pages!

My view? No to separation. Still, If ever it happens, ho hum, i'll live. I'm not leaving the best city on earth (Montreal) just for some silly change of nationhood!

;)

:can: and :que: equally in my books

but :hlogo: above all else :lol:

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by Cataclaw]

To realize just how different Québec is, you need only turn to American and "rest of Canadian" television. Then watch a Québec show. The differences are rather startling.

Still, I maintain that despite these differences, separation is not the answer. The inuits are even more radically different than Québecers and they don't seek independence.

Anyway.. there are a gazillion arguments on both sides of the coin and i don't feel like getting dragged into this. Last time i debated the issue on another forum, the thread went on to 45 pages!

My view? No to separation. Still, If ever it happens, ho hum, i'll live. I'm not leaving the best city on earth (Montreal) just for some silly change of nationhood!

;)

:can: and :que: equally in my books

but :hlogo: above all else :lol:

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by Cataclaw]

:can::que: united in :hlogo: