Mathieu Garon (merged)

mathieug

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GARON

Los Angeles Kings goaltender Mathieu Garon, who led all goaltenders in victories with a 9-3-0 record, 2.40 goals-against average and .924 save percentage, has been named the NHL Defensive Player of the Month for December.

Garon edged goaltenders Miikka Kiprusoff of the Calgary Flames, Manny Fernandez of the Minnesota Wild, Antero Niittymaki of the Philadelphia Flyers and Chris Osgood of the Detroit Red Wings for the award.

Garon posted six of his nine victories on the road and won four of four against divisional opponents.

Appearing in 28 of the Kings' 42 games this season, Garon has posted an 18-8-0 record, 2.67 goals-against average and .912 save percentage. The 27-year-old native of Chandler, Quebec is tied for fifth in the NHL in victories.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=149256&hubname=nhl

Garon has proven himself.

I am happy for him, wish he could have remained in our system but I still respect Bob for giving him the chance to be a marquee player in this league.

Garon has proven himself.

I am happy for him, wish he could have remained in our system but I still respect Bob for giving him the chance to be a marquee player in this league.

OH its Rollie's fault LEts Fire him for preparing Garon Too well!

All we can say about Garon is that his tenure as a prospect playing behind Theodore in Montreal was an exemplary success.

It had all the signs of an ideal NHL situation where teams can replace their highly paid stars with EQUIVALANT

PERFORMING prospects from within the organisation,...thus establishing the proper ground unto which...a ''positive only'' trade can take place with the rest of the league. Wether it would end-up being... a player for player trade or multiple draf picks for the futur,... or using the money saved for the acquisition of a player throught free agency,.....this is the position where any GM are trying hard to be in.

Most people did not react very well when he was send away,....the fact that we have not had to savor yet

any short term benefits,... and that we had to waste a long term benefit by wasting our lucky fifth draft pick

on a prospect goaly replacement,.. as made the whole thing taste a little.............ahhh never mind.

Ok well at this point i wish we had garon back he better then theo is right now and if i were gainey i would go get garon back for i unno something worth trading for him...bonk and 3rd lol and trade theo for a star forward to be on our first line.

GARON

Los Angeles Kings goaltender Mathieu Garon, who led all goaltenders in victories with a 9-3-0 record, 2.40 goals-against average and .924 save percentage, has been named the NHL Defensive Player of the Month for December.

Yeah, but we got Bonk!

*Ok now I really want to cry like a little girl.*

The difference is that Garon actually has some NHL defencemn in front of him and some forwards who score more than 2 goals a game! Theo is the least of our problems. Yes he's not playing up to expectations, but lets get serious, the amount of odd man rushes and traffic in front is unnacceptable. Not to mention that we are one of the worse teams in our conference/the whole nhl for scoring goals. The whole team is playing horribly right now, Theo is not the only one, he's just the guy on the hook when the puck goes by him. Look at the game's we have won recently (not many, i think 6 of 18) the only reason we have won is because he has played well. At the beginning of the year we were winning games when he was struggling because the team was playing with heart and following the system. My point is this, on most nights Theo is a better than average goalie, at the beginning of the year we were winning the one goal games because the whole team was performing at a higher level. The last 20 games we have been losing all the one goal games because the team has lacked desire and players have not stepped up when players went down.

NEVER should have gotten rid of this guy. Bonk is an all around dissapointment. HE HASN'T SCORED 1 GOAL YET...omg....I thought we brought him in here to do just that

Actually we brought him in here to do exactly the opposite. He was pressured in Ottawa to score goals so Gainey decided to bring him in as a checker and for some defensive play. Of course he expected a few goals by now but now that Bonk's injuries are healed he looked great against Pittsburgh. He's a good player. Don't give up on him yet. But it's probably true that had we kept Garon then we wouldn't have had to "waste" our 5th overall pick on Carey Price.

Being a goalie myself 90% is OK.

Hey, did you noticed how much Garon improved - technically- since he was playing in Montréal?

Trust me on this one: not that much has changed!

"I've always thought Mathieu was a good goaltender. I've always said he might have the best legs in the league." -Jeff Hackett, 12/02/2003

I agree that you can't evaluate Bonk yet. But based on the knowledge available to Bob at the time - i.e., Bonk's many years of solid performance as the Senators' #1 centreman - that was a reasonable trade. This is especially true given Ribeiro's debatable status. And if Bonk finds his game, he may still prove to be a very valuable addition for us.

Also, Montreal is a terrible place to bring along a young goalie without having established veterans around to help with the load, especially if a popular star goalie has been moved to make room for the young goalie in question. That's the main lesson of the disasterous Jocelyn Thibault Experiment. So don't assume Garon would have done it here; he may well have cracked under the insane pressure following his bad start.

Finally: one good month doesn't mean he's 'proven' himself. Let's see how he does down the stretch and into the playoffs before rending our garments.

I liked Jeff Hackett. Good guy and a solid goaltender. I'd take him over Thibault anyday, and that was one of the brightest moves Houle ever made.

I wish Garon well, I was a fan of his when he was on Montreal and I still pay attention to his career. Fourth in the NHL in wins, sure is something. :)

Hopefully Bonk will get it going ;)

Roy wasn't moved to make room for Thibault. The pressure was on Thibault because Roy was traded for him.

Bonk's solid performance as the #1 centreman? Hardly. The Senators knew for years that this guy was decent, but not first line material. But they didn't have any other options at the time. As soon as Spezza was ready, he was out the door. If he were first line material, do you really think Gainey would be downplaying expectations from the moment we got him?

I personally hope Bonk can get into gear and replace Ribiero as the second line centre. Remains to be seen if it can be done.

As for Garon, good for him. But the Habs really had to let him go or trade Theodore. And you can be sure that the latter won't happen.

Hackett was very underrated. He used to be very good.

True, good goalie, great guy. I had the privilege of meeting him, a real classy guy.

All we can say about Garon is that his tenure as a prospect playing behind Theodore in Montreal was an exemplary success.

It had all the signs of an ideal NHL situation where teams can replace their highly paid stars with EQUIVALANT

PERFORMING prospects from within the organisation,...thus establishing the proper ground unto which...a ''positive only'' trade can take place with the rest of the league. Wether it would end-up being... a player for player trade or multiple draf picks for the futur,... or using the money saved for the acquisition of a player throught free agency,.....this is the position where any GM are trying hard to be in.

Most people did not react very well when he was send away,....the fact that we have not had to savor yet

any short term benefits,... and that we had to waste a long term benefit by wasting our lucky fifth draft pick

on a prospect goaly replacement,.. as made the whole thing taste a little.............ahhh never mind.

...has made the whole thing taste a little.... :angry: B) B)

Thanks for the correction corvina,...it will sink-in eventually.

PS: I agree with earlier posts that Theo is not one of our problem on the ice right now,...my

suggestion that cheaper prospects within the organisation replacing highly paid veterans

as being an ideal situation remain valid thought. Thats what developping draftees is all about..

Garon might not have been a foolproof replacement in the circumstances....yet the money saved

would have contributed throught UFA spending to solve some weeknesses elsewhere and thus

alleviate the somewhat differents level of performances beetween the two goalys.

It would have been one way on gambling about the situation,.....the other one is what

they did.....keeping Theo and getting Bonk and Huet in return of Garon.....this could well

be the better choice but.....it as not reflect itself to be obvious as of now.

I was never a huge Hackett fan when he played for Montreal.

Anyone who ever went to a gem when he was in nets was probably made sick by all the yelling he does at the defenseman and the forwards during the game he never shuts his mouth. I have also had the privilege of meeting him he is very nice and kind to the fans.

Garon gets a shutout tonight against the Yotes.

The NHL defensive player of the month, he follows up the award with a shutout. I'm happy for him!

But then I think how Théo let in 11 goals in the last two games. Then I think about how Garon is making $1.2 mil.

I am conflicted about this. Ok, maybe "pissed" is better than "conflicted." I never liked that trade...

*sigh*

Hindsight is 20/20.

No one can honestly tell me they would have thought before the season started that Theo would be this bad.

Sure everyone wishes he played amazing either that or we kept Garon.

But would we be all angry if we traded Theo and he stood on his head this year somewhere else and Garon cracked under the pressure in Montreal.

• 9 months later...