Mar. 19, Canucks vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That was always the gamble when it comes to that insane contract: that he will retire to maintain his dignity rather than play out the whole thing. We’ll see what happens; for all we know, he downsizes his expectations, accepts a modest role as a bottom-6 guy and “veteran leader,” and plays out the contract because he loves the game...

Or he decides he wants to retire, and we trade him to Nashville for some picks and prospects (so that Nashville can try to put him on LTIR and avoid the huge cap recapture penalty).

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Or he decides he wants to retire, and we trade him to Nashville for some picks and prospects (so that Nashville can try to put him on LTIR and avoid the huge cap recapture penalty).

This is the shrewd thinking that I hope our GM will have at the time - whoever that may be...

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This is the shrewd thinking that I hope our GM will have at the time - whoever that may be...

Agree with you PMK ... hopefully.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yea let’s all smoke start smoking too - cuz you know even Reagan used to advertise for cigarette companies - we knew it was bad back than, how’s hay we know now different than what we knew 50 years ago.  While we’re a it, why even have helmets or goalie masks. Real men like Richard or Lafleur didn’t wear them and Lafleur knew the risks. Let’s just let players play without helmets too🙄

Haha, like your humour. I have watched hockey since the early 60's. Todays NHL product is a watered down game, it is not better or more entertaining. As for gear it was players themselves that brought that in. Mikita and Plante were leaders in that. That has nothing to do with not playing 3 on 3 shinny at the end of a game. Adding penalty for flipping a puck over the boards, dumb. No touch icing, dumb but I understand not wanting to hurt the children who are now in what was a mans league. Players are too young. Edge is gone. Not many games keep you on the edge of your seat anymore. Yes, it is faster. Better? Not in my opinion. I prefer a tie to a skills contest to finish the game of hockey.

As for youth Lafluer was 20 when he played his first NHL game. That was the norm back then. NHL has become faster kids game. That is my point.I prefered it being a man's league where it wasn't a worry that a teenager was going to go into the boards wrong on a race for the puck, which was an exciting part of the game as a spectators sport.

16 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Haha, like your humour. I have watched hockey since the early 60's. Todays NHL product is a watered down game, it is not better or more entertaining. As for gear it was players themselves that brought that in. Mikita and Plante were leaders in that. That has nothing to do with not playing 3 on 3 shinny at the end of a game. Adding penalty for flipping a puck over the boards, dumb. No touch icing, dumb but I understand not wanting to hurt the children who are now in what was a mans league. Players are too young. Edge is gone. Not many games keep you on the edge of your seat anymore. Yes, it is faster. Better? Not in my opinion. I prefer a tie to a skills contest to finish the game of hockey.

As for youth Lafluer was 20 when he played his first NHL game. That was the norm back then. NHL has become faster kids game. That is my point.I prefered it being a man's league where it wasn't a worry that a teenager was going to go into the boards wrong on a race for the puck, which was an exciting part of the game as a spectators sport.

It’s not just kids or young players that have gotten injured. Mark Tonirdi (a big tough non-speedster tinordi), broke his leg, Al MacInnis ahead a serious hip injury. Neither were speedsters, or young. Both were injured badly. 

growing up I liked saying guys like Lafleur and Esposito without helmets - you could instantly recognize players. But there have been a lot of serious injuries of between players hitting theory head on the ice - nothing to do with the speed of the game, or inexperienced youth.

As far is OT goes. My preference would be no ties - you play regular sudden death OT until someone scores - just like regular season baseball games. The issue is that too many teams would play for the shoutout - habs last game was a perfect example of a team barely trying to win in OT. I don’t love the 3-on-3, or shootout, but prefer it over the old no tie. I think if they elongate the loser point (zero points for OT or shootout loss), teams should actually try to win in OT.

I enjoyed watching the game in the 70’s and 80’a a lot more than I do now. Part of it is I was still a kid, part of it was that it was a much more offensive league (a lot less systems and control by coaches), but a big part of is that the habs had much better teams.  Having said that the players are bette Ethan they ever have been. Not just speed. Skills of today’s players, conditioning (imagine of Lafleur didn’t smoke a pack a day), and sport’s medicine (as much as I’m disgusted at Orr now, imagine him with today’s knee surgery and treatment options).

Ancient romans liked and enjoyed watching gladiators fight to the death. Ali Frazier 15 round fights were the most amazing fights ever. That doesn’t mean allowing either were right.

• Like 1