Lineup... opening night...

Habby1197

Ok, We all know Perreault is going to score 6 goals in his first 5 games... that'll give him the second line job.

Ribs back to the 4th... this is what I think we'll look like for game 1, or 2...

Zednik-Koivu-Audette

Bulis-Perreault-Sundstrom

Hossa-Juneau-Ward

Kilger-Ribs-Dagenais/Dackell

Dykhuis/Hainsey-Komisarek/Brisebois

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Quintal

Theo

Garon

Something is really gotta be done about Briser... sigh.

Originally posted by Habby1197

Zednik-Koivu-Audette

Bulis-Perreault-Sundstrom

Hossa-Juneau-Ward

Kilger-Ribs-Dagenais/Dackell

Bulis-Perreault-Sundstrom won't work IMO... there isn't a playmaker on the line.

Perreault needs to be set up, unlike most centers who set their wingers like Koivu & Ribeiro for example.

Here you're putting Sundstrom in an offensive role... the last time he was effective in that role was when he played with the game's best playmaker, Gretzky... so he too needs a playmaker and doesnt have one.

Switch Bulis with Hossa and maybe you've got something, Hossa is a natural center and is first & foremost a playmaker. He's definitely a better playmaker than Bulis.

Bulis would then play with Juneau, with whom he played very well in the past... and Ward would bring the grit our 3rd line has lacked for a long time.

The first line is basically your 2 best goal scoring wingers with your best playmaker... the line lacks size but that's nothing new, at least is pretty solid.

Having Ribeiro with Dagenais is a good way to try out the combination... but I don't like Ribeiro being given 5-7 mins a game all year again.

This is the year we have to find out whether he can do it or not, Perreault is gone at year end anyway.. I don't care if he rots on the 4th.

I look forward to seeing if the Habs will leave their youth movement promises unfullfilled for yet another season.

Remember though this would be the opening night lineup.

I think this would work, but here are some extra points:

- Dwyer I'd usually complain about not being in the lineup, but eeing as our first game is Ottawa, I won't complain. Varada can't do anything. Can he? (Remembers 2 seasons ago... *shudders*)

- Yanic takes over for Mr. October, for the moment though. I'm still in favor of having a rotating 2nd line. And maybe a Hossa-Perreault-Sundstrom line could work (variation on Habs77's variation). Then Bulis-Juneau-Ward. And maybe Bulis-Ribeiro-Dagenais against Toronto next game, with Kilger on L3 (?). We could even bring in Dwyer to play...

- Defense will be hopefully solved at camp. I like having 8 NHL calibre defensemen that can play. It means for more competition, and Julien will say that morning "OK, I want Markov's pair, Breezy's pair and Hainsey's pair" if we want to score more, or sub in Souray's pair if it's a physical game. A bit like our potential rotating 2nd line..

- Dackell will hopefully be traded by preseason, just because it would be unfair to offer him tentative positions as 3rd/4th line RW, then give it to Dwyer/Kilger/Dagenais/Gratton/etc.

- I am completely shocked to have found out that Traverse has a ONE WAY CONTRACT! ONE WAY! HOLY ****! ****ING HELL!

egads!

Now I have lost almost all respect that I had remaining of Savard. Good drafter, but A ONE ****ING WAY CONTRACT?!?!?! So yeah, just trade him too. He's cheap, Pens might want him. *sob*, one way... :wall:

- Remember how Theo had a terrible preseason last year? I can't find the exact stats, but our (many) wins often came at a score resembling the 70s (6-5 win over Colorado in Quebec?). I wonder if there's a connection between Theo's GAA or SP% in the preseason and the regular season?

[Edited on 2003/9/5 by TheAussiePosse]

The defense is pretty simple , if we keep Brisebois (which is looks like we will ) I can confidently say that our defense will look like....

Markov - Rivet

Quintal - Komisarek

Souray - Brisebois

(Edit : Then again , Quintal and Souray could be switched on those pairings , could go either way)

As for the offense , I have no clue! This whole Ribeiro/Perreault 2nd line centre situation seems like it will never be resolved , plus we have alot of wingers who could play on different lines...

I'll take a stab , I guess this is what I'd like to see.

Zednik - Koivu - Audette

Hossa - Ribeiro - Ward

Bulis - Juneau - Sundstrom

Dwyer - Kilger - Dackell

Well actually its not what I'd like to see ... I'd actually like to see Juneau/Dackell gone (along with Perreault who I already booted) ...

So here is what I really want to see...

Zednik - Koivu - Perezhogin

Hossa - Ribeiro - Ward

Higgins - Bulis - Sundstrom

Kilger - Gratton - Dwyer

Now that is a cool lineup :) , Not saying it would be sucessful or anything , but I'd just like to see it. I'd also like to see guys like Plekanec and Ryder eventually make the team , but no room for them on this lineup (at least not on the lines where they SHOULD play)...

The first line is an offensive dynamo , Although one thing I dont like about it is that Saku still doesnt have much size on the wings (Zed alone doesnt cut it , Perezhogin is small) , the second line has Ribs between two big wingers , Ribs and Hossa can set up Ward and Hossa himself can chip in a few goals... The 3rd line has Higgins playing with 2 strong defensive players , in a low-pressure position of LW (Compared to C anyways) , the line isnt really big but its thick (strong on skates) , The 4th line is a sweet grinding line , if Kilger plays his role the line could be pretty good.

[Edited on 2003-9-6 by puck7x]

Well actually its not what I'd like to see ... I'd actually like to see Juneau/Dackell gone (along with Perreault who I already booted) ...  

And after all that, after all you put the team through, and then Audette leaves. Just like that.

:/)

Zednik - Koivu - Perezhogin  

Hossa - Ribeiro - Ward  

Higgins - Bulis - Sundstrom  

Kilger - Gratton - Dwyer  

I like the line-up. Just a few questions

- Can Zhog perform on the top line? I think he needs at least a season of Hamilton to get ready. At least.

- 2nd line looks good, although maybe Ward and Zhog can switch around? Or put Ward on the first line, Audette on 2nd line, and Zhog stick in Hamilton?

- I know Bulis is a reformed centre, but after playing wing, is he still a capable centre?

- 4th line is THE BEST line. No arguments/questions whatsoever. Maybe Kilger will be able to take the elastic-band off his balls this year and kick some ass. Dwyer seemed to be able to help that last year.

BTW, what about Ryder? How do you see him going?

And with our defense, what about Boo and Beauch? Just Hamilton fodder?

Anyway, KOIVU RESIGNED!, so it's all good in Habland