RESCHEDULED (Mar. 30), Oilers vs Canadiens, 19h00 EDT

alfredoh2009

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

KK is the only one that could get away with it. The code and all

Not sure I can imagine KK skating up to mcdavid and punching him in the throat though 🤔

Per "the code", KK could challenge him to a fight ... but if KK "ran the petulant superstar through the boards/glass" that would not be within the code, it would be an escalation

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I saw the replay.  It was pretty obvious it was an elbow to the head. 

But, you must admit, we see 1,000's of worse hits go unpunished or even penalized.  Like the one on Armia, Kotkaniemi and some other Hab got knocked out of a game earlier in season (Evans?).

d-men get run (or gently pushed off-balance) into the boards from behind every game, which is much more dangerous play, in my mind.

Still, I cant see why this warranted anything extra.:spamafote:

1 minute ago, DON said:

But, you must admit, we see 1,000's of worse hits go unpunished or even penalized.  Like the one on Armia, Kotkaniemi and some other Hab got knocked out of a game earlier in season (Evans?).

d-men get run (or gently pushed off-balance) into the boards from behind every game, which is much more dangerous play, in my mind.

I wouldn't say 1,000's, hockey is a fast sport and things sometimes get missed. Just because they may have missed others doesn't mean you ignore this one. It was an elbow to the head.  Maybe the league was sending a message that McDavid is not above the rules. 

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure I can imagine KK skating up to mcdavid and punching him in the throat though 🤔

Under the "code" KK might get away with challenging McD to a fight ... but if he "ran the petulant superstar through the boards/glass" or even just punched him in the throat that would be outside the supposed "code" and just sending things spiralling. 

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Per "the code", KK could challenge him to a fight ... but if KK "ran the petulant superstar through the boards/glass" that would not be within the code, it would be an escalation

Agree it would be an escalation.  I also wouldn't describe Mcdavid as petulant.  His actions were out of character.  He puts up with a lot of crap. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree it would be an escalation.  I also wouldn't describe Mcdavid as petulant.  His actions were out of character.  He puts up with a lot of crap. 

Neither would I, or no more than any other elite player ... was just quoting he suggested retribution 

3 hours ago, DON said:

Crazy...must be a make-up call for earlier missed concussion hits on Habs, i thought was barely a 2 minute minor.

He made a bee line to a player without the puck and elbowed him in the head.  If he was a third liner instead of Connor McDavid, it would have been a 2 game suspension.     

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Yes ... because it would stop there ... the Oilers would never then send someone out to do the same or worse to Suzuki, KK, Toffoli or Price ... but then of course then the Habs could ..........

Bingo

1 hour ago, DON said:

It was a blatant elbow to the head to a defenseless player without the puck. Textbook headshot.

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He made a bee line to a player without the puck and elbowed him in the head.  If he was a third liner instead of Connor McDavid, it would have been a 2 game suspension.     

THIS is good news ... no supplementary discipline for KK head butting McDavid's elbow: 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agreed, because McDavid doesn't have a history he got off easy, $5,000 is pocket change for him.  However because of the fine, it is documented now and he has a history so next time he likely gets a suspension. I have tons of respect for McDavid but he shouldn't be doing that stuff. It was a cheap shot, period.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

2 game suspension for that wimply little elbow, your kidding?

Well, he made a bee line for the guy carrying the puck up middle of ice, i agree on that much.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Well, he made a bee line for the guy carrying the puck up middle of ice, i agree on that much.

KK didn't have the puck.

How is it wimpy if he threw KK to the ice?  You trolling, Don?

12 hours ago, DON said:

... Well, he made a bee line for the guy carrying the puck up middle of ice, i agree on that much.

Sorry, we disagree ... not only was the puck gone but McDavid's hit had nothing to do with taking the puck away or preventing KK from making a play of any sort ... it was solely to attempt to inflict pain and take out frustrations ... it is the type of superfluous hit that reflects a complete disregard for the potential for injury that the league needs to eliminate, hockey is inherently dangerous within the rules, no need for this sort of shyte  ... that KK wasn't hurt doesn't change that he could have been

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DON said:

The puck was LONG gone from KK's stick.  He hit a player without the puck, even before the elbow its interference.... add in the elbow and it should be a suspension IMO.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Don, I think you were watching a different play or just trying to be difficult.  This was pretty cut and dry. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The puck was LONG gone from KK's stick.  He hit a player without the puck, even before the elbow its interference.... add in the elbow and it should be a suspension IMO.

Yes, he fully deserved a 2 minute elbow penalty, that is it. LONG, come on Ben, who you trying to kid.

Fine was given to make a point of some sort, but you want to see elbow worthy of suspensions, review Craig Ludwig old footage.

KK wouldnt of been laughing after sitting on the bench.

But thats all i got, agree to disagree and not of big deal.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

You trolling, Don?

Dont get this, but whatever.

44 minutes ago, DON said:

... but you want to see elbow worthy of suspensions, review Craig Ludwig old footage.

KK wouldnt of been laughing after sitting on the bench ...

Apples vs lugnuts

This isnt 1986.  We cant compare what was allowed as an elbow.then and what is today.  Not after rule changes and standards changed upon learning the damaging effects of head injuries.

What gordie howe or mark messier or craig ludwig got away with is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

This isnt 1986.  We cant compare what was allowed as an elbow.then and what is today.  Not after rule changes and standards changed upon learning the damaging effects of head injuries.

What gordie howe or mark messier or craig ludwig got away with is irrelevant.

Ludwig did not get away with anything, he was suspended, fined and/or fought a goon as a result. 

Sorry, was reminiscing. It was bit of a poor attempt at humor, "You call that an elbow, that was no elbow..."

But, ol #17 laid out some crazy cheap shots, be it elbow, clothesline, running guy through the boards and he had to fight his way off the ice after most of them. 

:surrender:

It was not out of character, #97 was suspended before for a shot to the head and is a repeat offender

but, yeah ... I agree 

I can't believe the attempted downplaying of a blatant elbow.  I don't give a damn that McDavid is the best player in the league, it was a dirty shot by today's standards and he needs to pay for it.  The league dropped the ball, so some ice level justice has to be dealt out.  If #97 is vulnerable, and KK has a chance the next time they play...let him have it.  I'd say every Hab needs to finish every check extra-hard on him also...but quite frankly that should be the gameplan every game regardless.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:56 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He just might have it in him.  He has hit a few guys in tight to the boards/back turned...maybe he sees 97 flush and decided to take the 2min for mashing his face into the glass.  Either way, do SOMETHING.