Tim Peel fired....

brobin

He was retiring at the end of the year anyway and if they came out and publicly fired him, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.  There's also the matter of makeup calls being a commonly accepted practice around the league which is the type of thing that comes out in a lawsuit.  Giving him a six-week vacation before retirement (refs in their final years can't work in the playoffs by rule) is probably the quietest way of making this go away which is what they really want.

• Upvote 1

Something I find interesting about this is that the league did nothing (at least publicly) when a ref was heard telling Gallagher that he didn't

call a penalty because the infraction was committed against Gallagher.

Right. He may not actually be fired -- he just doesn't work any more, effectively on a paid leave of absence. The tweet from NHL PR only said that he will not be calling any more games.

Complete hypocrisy by a league whose entire approach to discipline and penalties - from the linesmen all the way up to head office - is arbitrary and personal. Peel's sin was not what he did, but rather in getting caught doing what they all do. Total BS from a total BS joke of a league.

I was listening to Marinaro this morning and I don’t remember the name of the guy he was interviewing but they discussed a confrontation with Peel in a bar. I think he was a journalist. 

One thing that stood out was that Peel said senior refs are paired with newer refs and bad calls were often called by the new ref but as senior ref he had to call it so people assume that he is an idiot. 

At the end of the day the nhl needs a new system.....for many things. I wonder if technology and algorithms could solve it?

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was listening to Marinaro this morning and I don’t remember the name of the guy he was interviewing but they discussed a confrontation with Peel in a bar. I think he was a journalist. 

One thing that stood out was that Peel said senior refs are paired with newer refs and bad calls were often called by the new ref but as senior ref he had to call it so people assume that he is an idiot. 

At the end of the day the nhl needs a new system.....for many things. I wonder if technology and algorithms could solve it?

Heard that ... agreed with the guest and Marinaro (the latter makes we wonder if I should check into a mental health facility) that it really sounded like Peel trying to duck responsibility for his incompetence ... don't recall the guest's name but it wasn't a confrontation ... it was an arranged meeting to allow Peel to respond to long-running, and detailed, criticism of Peel's work by the guest in media/on Internet/both.

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Heard that ... agreed with the guest and Marinaro (the latter makes we wonder if I should check into a mental health facility) that it really sounded like Peel trying to duck responsibility for his incompetence ... don't recall the guest's name but it wasn't a confrontation ... it was an arranged meeting to allow Peel to respond to long-running, and detailed, criticism of Peel's work by the guest in media/on Internet/both.

Yeah Peel trying to pass blame wouldn’t surprise me. 

So he must have been media of some kind. I usually listen while I putter around the house. Marinaro can certainly be crazy at times but hey it’s Habs talk

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He was retiring at the end of the year anyway and if they came out and publicly fired him, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.  There's also the matter of makeup calls being a commonly accepted practice around the league which is the type of thing that comes out in a lawsuit.  Giving him a six-week vacation before retirement (refs in their final years can't work in the playoffs by rule) is probably the quietest way of making this go away which is what they really want.

The irony is that he wanted to retire after last season but the NHL asked him to come back because of the number of young refs on staff ... did they need Peel's veteran presence to cultivate the next generation of bad refs?

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I didn't hear the interview with Marinaro but this may have been the story in a bar being referenced: https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/my-night-at-the-bar-with-tim-peel--nhl-ref-and-object-of-scorn-171058557.html

Yes this is it exactly. 

I don’t know who puck daddy is but it was interesting 

2 hours ago, brobin said:

this!!!

If $100 billion was bet on NHL, as is in american football, then likely would see more accountable and professional officiating.

Rich betters would not buy into the whole "whistle in back pocket" or situational officiating BS.

6 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Next in line : Chris Lee.

When I first heard this story I was praying that Chris Lee was involved.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2021 at 5:14 PM, DON said:

If $100 billion was bet on NHL, as is in american football, then likely would see more accountable and professional officiating.

Rich betters would not buy into the whole "whistle in back pocket" or situational officiating BS.

Uh...have you watched NFL football lately? They also have some terrible calls in big games, they can never get pass interference right. Add to that the fact that hockey may be the hardest game to call in all of pro sports because of the pace of the game, and I don't think the officiating is better or worst than any other league. 

On 3/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, PMAC said:

On 3/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, PMAC said:

When I first heard the nature of the story I thought Tim Peel was Chris Lee. 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, dlbalr said:

Thats basically exactly what I thought when I heard about it.  The audio is unarguably proof that this mentality exists in NHL refs.  It also doesn't mean that its the actions of 1 ref, acting alone on their own doing vs being instructed to do so by the NHL itself.  

If the NHL is instructing the refs and there was a lawsuit that info would come out and be terrible for the NHL.  That could put the NHL in a similar position as Vince McMahon was in.  Imagine the if the NHL were forced to change its name and be called National Hockey Entertainment because it isnt technically a sport and the winner is predetermined.