League makes a gaffe?

jetsniper

So Chara got suspended and Murray gets fined. I think it's wrong personally (not that they didn't deserve it, they did). But whats with the double standard on Gretz and Doan?

I like both of them a heckualot but they really shouldn't be exempt from the rules just because one guy plays for "The Great One" and the other guy is "The Great One".

I hope the league gets heat for this, cause it's well deserved.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=145491&hubname=

I'm one of those people who, in a perfect hockey world, would prefer that there weren't any fights... but this rule is horrible. In a blowout, instead of seeing the losing team try to pick fights with the opposition in frustration, you're going to see a lot more stickwork and Eric Boulton-type dirty plays out of frustration. Mark my words: guys are going to get injured in the last 5 minutes of a blowout this year, more than once.

(And yes, the NHL needs to start applying the rules evenly. Even for #99)

Originally posted by dark_faerie87

I never heard about the Doan/Gretz thing until I read the Chara suspension thing. What happened and why did they not get in trouble?

I don't think I ever heard an exact reason. They immediately got their fine and suspension but the NHL decided to take another look at it and decided against it. I think it was against Anaheim that it happened.

Just Gretzky's stature playing a role, I'd assume. Can't piss off the great one.

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by jetsniper]

Originally posted by jetsniper
Originally posted by dark_faerie87

I never heard about the Doan/Gretz thing until I read the Chara suspension thing. What happened and why did they not get in trouble?

I don't think I ever heard an exact reason. They immediately got their fine and suspension but the NHL decided to take another look at it and decided against it. I think it was against Anaheim that it happened.

Just Gretzky's stature playing a role, I'd assume. Can't piss off the great one.

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by jetsniper]

That's so ######ed! Do we play Phoenix this year? I hope we shell them and make Cujo look like the whiner he is.

''The intent and spirit of Rule 56(a) were applied properly in this incident,'' said NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. ''Hockey Operations will not rescind the automatic one-game suspension to Mr. Chara or the $10,000 fine to Mr.Murray.''

Maybe the league can start explaining why Murray/Chara are in trouble yet Doan did the exact same thing and nothing happened to The Ego. Hmmmm, the double standard NHL strikes again!!

Originally posted by crazydoo

Come on!, If they want to stop the instigators, just shoot them! If you shoot one, they will all stop, I'm sure of it ;)

i see why you're called 'crazydoo'. that's funny

Originally posted by ~moeman

They use to talk like that in South Africa before Mandela was freed.

Come on. Hate Gretzky all you want, but that's the most ridiculous comment I've read in quite a while.

Originally posted by option+

Bryan Murray coached Washington from 1982-1990, Detroit from 1990-93, Florida for 59 games in 97-98, and Anaheim in 01-02.

Wow. I thought he had only been GM of the Panthers and now coach of the Sens.

I find Murray's choice of words very interesting. He says:

"I've never done anything like this in my f***ing career ..."

He doesn't seem to be claiming his innocence in this fight. On the other hand it would seem to be hard to defend his actions. He moved Chara up to forward, and Chara goes after the guy right off the faceoff.