Habs trade for Eric Staal

Trizzak

I wanted Staal even before I heard that he was rumoured to be on the way out, so I’m very happy with this deal. 

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

A 4th line of Frolik/Staal/Perry would be pretty fun to watch. 

vs Spezza-Thorton-Simmonds, in a cage match!

Maybe not so much as a checking line?

It’s starting to feel like it means something once again for players to put on that jersey. 

good pick up as it was obvious the forward group needed some more vet leadership. 

Lines:

Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher

Toffoli, Suzuki, Anderson

Lehkonon, Danault, Armia - defensive 

Tatar, Staal, Perry

Evans - needs more time in Laval

Byron - unfortunate odd man out due to his salary

I hope anther move is in the works for a D

i think Staal has more offensive upside than Danault even at 36. Looking at his last seasons performance (19g, 47 its - 66 games). Give him speed and some hands in Tatar and  veteran savvy in Perry, i think this line could be effective. Obvious all players in Buffalo this season have not performed well. i don't think you can use that sample size (in Buffalo) as what Staal can bring.

I’m not to thrilled that his FO% is current 48%. We’ll need him to do better than that.

I’m also not super happy that we were on his ‘no trade’ list. That’s a bit of a discordant note.

That said, it’s a smart trade and, if he has anything left at all in the tank, he will help us, especially in the playoffs.

42 minutes ago, Gordie09 said:

good pick up as it was obvious the forward group needed some more vet leadership. 

Lines:

Tatar, Staal, Perry

Tatar on the fourth line?  Im glad you arent the coach.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I’m also not super happy that we were on his ‘no trade’ list. That’s a bit of a discordant note ...

I don't see a discordant note ... a NTC just allowed him to control when/where he was dealt ... I doubt he would have accepted a deal before the season ... he has a family ... moving them to Montreal would be a culture shock and expose him/them to a media environment unlike any he/they have ever faced (NYC is a big media market but the Rangers are waayyy down the list in terms of media focus) ... that he had to wave the NTC to accept the trade tells me he is fully invested in the rest of the season

6 minutes ago, Gordie09 said:

i do not see numbers beside the each of the lines, representing which is 1 and which is 4. 

Blendering and changing every line after a week the team couldnt practice is still a reason im glad you arent the coach.

1 hour ago, Gordie09 said:

Lines:

Tatar, Staal, Perry

Hi @Gordie09 , I think it is the first time I comment on your posts.

I am not as enthusiastic as you are on Staal. He seems to have been playing 3rd line minutes for the last few years. FO% is not great, but I do not think that is why they got him. He is big but not physical, he also has been starting mostly on the offensive zone for most of his career, so I do not think he is suited to be a 4th liner.

For now, with everyone healthy, I see him as a depth player or a 3dt line winger with Kotkaniemi. Something like this:

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar- Danault - Gallagher

Staal - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli | or | Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Armia (Staal sitting out)

Byron - Evans - Perry | rotating Lehkonen, Byron and Evans as needed

Lehkonen, Armia playing for a contracts and I would move them for cap space to get another D

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not to thrilled that his FO% is current 48%. We’ll need him to do better than that.

I’m also not super happy that we were on his ‘no trade’ list. That’s a bit of a discordant note.

That said, it’s a smart trade and, if he has anything left at all in the tank, he will help us, especially in the playoffs.

It was asked in the press conference today if all of the Canadian teams were on the no-trade list due to the quarantine rule.  Bergevin didn't answer it - I'm not sure he knew either way - but at least one reporter seems to have some information that it could have been a quarantine-related thing and not an 'I don't want to play for Montreal' one.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It was asked in the press conference today if all of the Canadian teams were on the no-trade list due to the quarantine rule.  Bergevin didn't answer it - I'm not sure he knew either way - but at least one reporter seems to have some information that it could have been a quarantine-related thing and not an 'I don't want to play for Montreal' one.

Staal had the same NTC last season, so we would have to know what teams were on it then to know if quarantine impacted it this season ... my bet is that the Habs were on the list but Staal saw a good opportunity for the rest of this season.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Staal had the same NTC last season, so we would have to know what teams were on it then to know if quarantine impacted it this season ... my bet is that the Habs were on the list but Staal saw a good opportunity for the rest of this season.

It could also have been "the bottom 10 teams in the standings" from last year.

4 hours ago, Gordie09 said:

i think Staal has more offensive upside than Danault even at 36. Looking at his last seasons performance (19g, 47 its - 66 games).

Danault was 13+34=47 last year (71 games) so it's not a huge difference offensively between the two. Or at least it wasn't last year.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Danault was 13+34=47 last year (71 games) so it's not a huge difference offensively between the two. Or at least it wasn't last year.

Staal had 14 PP points last year, so at 5v5, Danault blew him out of the water offensively.

Plus that line has looked really good in the last 3-4 games before the break, so I have no idea why they'd be broken up.

On 7/2/2011 at 2:55 AM, Sir_Boagalott said:

I gagged when I 1st heard this.

x2!!  

I had the identical reaction back when I heard the Habs picked up Cole.  In the same sense it is a smart hockey move.  Personally, I cant stand Eric Cheeseball Staal at all, but he should help the Habs.  3 of their 4 Centres are basically rookies, and now they have a veteran C. 

Staal will likely be similar to Perry too in the sense that both of them are near the end of their careers, but if they do decent in Mtl they will get a contract with somebody next year.  I imagine just like Perry, Staal will pick up his game with he Habs. 

I imagine MB isnt done picking up people either.  The Badgers got knocked out of the NCAA finals yesterday, so Caufield is now available.  Will MB insert Caufield into the lineup and move a Forward and a Dman to free up cap space in order to pickup a dman? 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Possibly ...  but the 7 Canadian teams are, from all we hear, pretty common inclusions on NTCs.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I don't beleive the Habs standings had anything to do with the Habs being on Staals NTC list.

I jokingly say that the Habs ruined Eric Staals career.  i.e. the Habs played numerous series against the Cannes and would call stick infractions on Staal.  Every time the Habs did that they never got a penalty.  Then, other teams playing against Staal started doing that too, and they never got penalties either.  Eventually, the Cannes forced Staal to stop using an illegal stick and he hasn't been 30 g scorer since.  

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When did the Habs play numerous series against Staal. 

He wasn't involved in the 2002 series. 

He was involved in the 2006 series.

But we didn't play them after that???

Hmm, you are correct, 02 would have been too long ago. 

I thought the Habs caught him at least twice with an illegal stick, but I could be wrong.  Either way, its unarguable that the Habs are the team that figured that out and other teams also had success doing it. 

I checked his stats, and they seem highly suspect to me.  i.e. who gets around 35-40g/yr at age 18-24, then get barely get 20 twice through ages 25-30, then get 28 and 42 g when they're 30-31?  I have to believe that his 2 years in Minny where he had 30+ g he went back to using an illegal stick. 

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, you are correct, 02 would have been too long ago. 

I thought the Habs caught him at least twice with an illegal stick, but I could be wrong.  Either way, its unarguable that the Habs are the team that figured that out and other teams also had success doing it. 

I checked his stats, and they seem highly suspect to me.  i.e. who gets around 35-40g/yr at age 18-24, then get barely get 20 twice through ages 25-30, then get 28 and 42 g when they're 30-31?  I have to believe that his 2 years in Minny where he had 30+ g he went back to using an illegal stick. 

Oliver Stone?  If an illegal stick added 10-15-20 goals why wouldn't everybody be using them until they are caught...