Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It was the classic wildcard/playoff-team roster but almost impossible that they would win the Cup ... like the Canadiens of the last 3+ decades ... hope to make the playoffs and PRAY

That was the magic Kovalev year. It was widely perceived to be the coming-out party for the Gainey rebuild, with the expectation that all that young talent would push the team into conteder status for the 100th anniversary season (2009).

So I disagree with your assessment. That season was a rebuild supposedly coming to fruition. Only in hindsight do we realize that the rebuild was a failure and that most of those young pieces were mediocre or just plain garbage.

As I say earlier in this thread, that team is a standing reminder to us about the perils of over-estimating young talent in a rebuild.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That was the magic Kovalev year. It was widely perceived to be the coming-out party for the Gainey rebuild, with the expectation that all that young talent would push the team into conteder status for the 100th anniversary season (2009).

So I disagree with your assessment. That season was a rebuild supposedly coming to fruition. Only in hindsight do we realize that the rebuild was a failure and that most of those young pieces were mediocre or just plain garbage.

As I say earlier in this thread, that team is a standing reminder to us about the perils of over-estimating young talent in a rebuild.

I am not certain we disagree at all ... we are after all assessing the reality of the past not the hopes/desires of that moment ... many fans of-the-day over-estimated what that team was and/or could/would become ... just as they did many teams for almost three decades in the pre-HuGo-era.

EDIT: added the above "emphasized" word

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

fans of-the-day over-estimated what that team was and/or could/would become ... just as they did many teams for almost three decades in the pre-HuGo-era.

I don't remember being overly excited about that team but that's what fan's do (short for fanatic). We hope and dream because we long for the day when the Habs are on top again so we sometimes become a little unrealistic in our outlook. I am a Habs fan and will continue to hope and dream and pray that HuGo makes all the right moves to get us back where we belong. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't remember being overly excited about that team but that's what fan's do (short for fanatic). We hope and dream because we long for the day when the Habs are on top again so we sometimes become a little unrealistic in our outlook. I am a Habs fan and will continue to hope and dream and pray that HoGo makes all the right moves to get us back where we belong. 

Edited post to reflect "many fans".

I too hope and dream HuGo build we fans a legit Cup contender ... but I don't let those hopes and dreams colour my view of the moment and my near-term expectations.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

.. but I don't let those hopes and dreams colour my view of the moment and my near-term expectations.

I think I am the same way. My short term expectations are pretty realistic but my longer term expectations are somewhat dreamy and glorious. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... longer term expectations are ...

Like the 6/49 ... Just Imagine. 

22 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't remember being overly excited about that team but that's what fan's do (short for fanatic). We hope and dream because we long for the day when the Habs are on top again so we sometimes become a little unrealistic in our outlook. I am a Habs fan and will continue to hope and dream and pray that HuGo makes all the right moves to get us back where we belong. 

Well - I remember most Habs fans being pretty excited about the Gainey rebuild, and a lot of optimism on this board about it. 🤷‍♂️ (It wasn’t just us, BTW. A lot of commentators saw guys like Higgins and Kosty as future stars, Komisarek as a menacing shutdown D-man etc.).

The difference between Gainey Rebuild 1.0 and a lot of what followed is that it was a genuine rebuild, i.e., an effort to build patiently through the draft, and supplement those pieces with shrewd UFA signings and trades. Most of what we saw after that rebuild went bust in 2009 was closer to a series of improvisational patch-ups - hence the whole “make the playoffs and anything can happen” ethos.

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Karl Alzner is officially finally off the books 🎉🎉🎉

Well ... come July 1st

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Damn…I thought it actually happened at the end of tonight’s game but you are correct I think that it’s officially July 1

I believe the cap year is July 1st - June 30th ... not that it really matters ... Habs have over $5M of cap space (per CapFriendly) ... unless HuGo have REALLY big plans at the draft.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:33 AM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

RDS put together an all star roster based on the last 15 years. 

IMG_0356.jpeg

I don't have time to ponder this question at the moment, but - is Desharnais REALLY worthy of being on there? Or is that a sop to the 'francophone' factor?

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't have time to ponder this question at the moment, but - is Desharnais REALLY worthy of being on there? Or is that a sop to the 'francophone' factor?

its clearly francophone factor. 

1) desharnais was mainly a C during his time, so he'd be the 5th centre. 

2) the fifth centre is the only position that has a fifth and weirdly, its Tatar, who was a Left Wing,,, and that line would be the Tatar - Danault - Gallagher a line for years. 

I'd also put Ryder ahead of Desharnais. 

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I believe the cap year is July 1st - June 30th ... not that it really matters ... Habs have over $5M of cap space (per CapFriendly) ... unless HuGo have REALLY big plans at the draft.

Don’t we also have to resign Guhle, or is that the following year? Slafkovsky is eligible for an extension this year as well.

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t we also have to resign Guhle, or is that the following year? Slafkovsky is eligible for an extension this year as well.

Guhle has another year. Barron and Xhekaj are the only ones that I'm 100% confident will get new contracts next season. But Pearson, White and Wideman will drop off the roster, as will Edmundson's retaind salary and Alzner's buyout. Probably Ylonen, too, although he might be traded so salary coming back from that. But from the other five, it's over $7M freed up, plus the cap goes up by $4M.

Montembeault's extension kicks in, though, and that will eat a little over $2M of the $11M or so above.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

its clearly francophone factor. 

1) desharnais was mainly a C during his time, so he'd be the 5th centre. 

2) the fifth centre is the only position that has a fifth and weirdly, its Tatar, who was a Left Wing,,, and that line would be the Tatar - Danault - Gallagher a line for years. 

I'd also put Ryder ahead of Desharnais. 

Good stuff. Yes, Ryder should be ahead of him. There's probably one or two others...just can't think of 'em at the moment.  I liked DD fine, but...

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good stuff. Yes, Ryder should be ahead of him. There's probably one or two others...just can't think of 'em at the moment.  I liked DD fine, but...

I'd have Erik Cole and Toffoli on my wingers list, too.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Any extensions only count against the cap in the first season of that new contract ... Barron and Xhekaj are RFAs as of July 1st ... but unlike the CFL, the Habs cannot "use up" unspent 23/24 cap space to extend them now.

As of July 1st (i.e., this summer), they could extend July 1, 2025 UFAs Dvorak*, Armia*, Evans**, Pezetta*, Savard** and Kovacevic** ... and ... July 1, 2025 RFAs RHP*, Slafkovsky***, Haris**, Struble**, Guhle***, Primeau***

* - unlikely 

** - possibly

*** - YES PLEASE