Apr. 1st, Canadiens vs. Senators - 19h00 EDT

alfredoh2009

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

While McDavid and Draisaitl are scary ...but 7 games of Connor Hellebuyck also scares me ... not to mention  Scheifele/Dubois/Stastny/Connor/Ehlers/Wheeler ...

No easy options ... unless Edmonton and Calgary go into permanent Covid-lockdown, the Habs catch TO and play Vancouver

Certainly no easy options, but my first choice would also be the Jets, a very good team but we have played them tough this year. I think it's the best matchup for us but will still be a very tough series.  

On 4/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, Commandant said:

Oh I'd keep them together for now, and I like Mete a lot better than Ouellet. 

I just think you need to use the eye test combined with analytics, its never just one, and the eye test on Mete shows some deficiencies that the analytics won't catch. 

If we're going to discuss the eye test of Kulak's errors looking worse than Chiarot's errors because of who has the puck more often and the value of the plays they are attempting respectively, then I think we need to discuss how the eye test is negatively biased to a 5'9" defenseman's mistakes over those of a 6'2" defenseman's. 

44 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

If we're going to discuss the eye test of Kulak's errors looking worse than Chiarot's errors because of who has the puck more often and the value of the plays they are attempting respectively, then I think we need to discuss how the eye test is negatively biased to a 5'9" defenseman's mistakes over those of a 6'2" defenseman's. 

Sure I agree with that too. 

Mete is better analytically than Chiarot, but that weak shot certainly means he's also going to underperform his xG

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Habs could still use a solid 3rd line winger with a bit more offence than Armia/Byron/Lehkonin order for that line (regardless of who is the centre) to be a legit threat heading into the playoffs ... the ABL options just don't inspire confidence ... a 28-32 yr-old who can provide what Perry does now would be perfect.

It would certainly be perfect. If only we still had cap space to sign up such players!

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It would certainly be perfect. If only we still had cap space to sign up such players!

Obviously it would mean trading a roster player and picks/prospects for the player ... OR ... it is possible that with Laval Cole Caufield could show he can fill the role

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Obviously it would mean trading a roster player and picks/prospects for the player ... OR ... it is possible that with Laval Cole Caufield could show he can fill the role

Its also possible that the team could use Staal as a winger in the top 9 at times they need offence and roll three lines (if caufield isnt ready)

Just now, Commandant said:

Its also possible that the team could use Staal as a winger in the top 9 at times they need offence and roll three lines (if caufield isnt ready)

True ... what I am suggesting is to consider strengthening the 3rd line to avoid the need to depend on shortening the bench for such in-game juggles, especially as in this compressed schedule that burns valuable fuel in the tanks of Staal and Perry before the playoffs

I think we have limited cap space and so if we are making another move, it would be a puck mover on LD for me.

I actually dont have a big issue with Armia being on the third line til Caufield is ready.

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Obviously it would mean trading a roster player and picks/prospects for the player ... OR ... it is possible that with Laval Cole Caufield could  will show he can fill the role

fixed your typo

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

True ... what I am suggesting is to consider strengthening the 3rd line to avoid the need to depend on shortening the bench for such in-game juggles, especially as in this compressed schedule that burns valuable fuel in the tanks of Staal and Perry before the playoffs

Also i think when you look at the division, the top 4 and bottom 3 are separating (especially when you consider games played), so I think I'm okay with rotating and having Byron, or Lehkonen, or Armia, or Perry play the odd game in the top 9.. knowing that in the playoffs it will be Staal or Caufield in that spot. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Also i think when you look at the division, the top 4 and bottom 3 are separating (especially when you consider games played), so I think I'm okay with rotating and having Byron, or Lehkonen, or Armia, or Perry play the odd game in the top 9.. knowing that in the playoffs it will be Staal or Caufield in that spot. 

You are more confident in Caufield's readiness and Staal's impact than I am. I hope for both but I'm still cautious about whether they can make an impact in this year's playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Staal was a very good player in minnesota.  His advanced stats in buffalo suggest he was good but snakebit.  I think getting out of buffalo hes more than a 4th liner.

I think you are probably correct. And Bergevin (or his scouting team) made good judgement calls on Perry and Kovalchuk. But Frolik looks less impressive.

So, yes, I think and hope that he'll probably be an impact player for us. It's just not a sure thing to me. Yet.

Frolik is fine for a 15th forward at NHL minimum that sits on the taxi squad and allows players like poehling to play in laval.

Frolik also has played like 3 games all year.

Hes fine for what he is.  Its the comparison with Perry who has been so much more that makes him look bad.  Its not actually being bad.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Frolik is fine for a 15th forward at NHL minimum that sits on the taxi squad and allows players like poehling to play in laval.

Frolik also has played like 3 games all year.

Hes fine for what he is.  Its the comparison with Perry who has been so much more that makes him look bad.  Its not actually being bad.

Yes ... the question I have is where will Staal end up on that spectrum. Hopefully close to Perry. We'll know soon enough.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... the question I have is where will Staal end up on that spectrum. Hopefully close to Perry. We'll know soon enough.

Staal was productive in Minny and strong advanced stats in buffalo.

Frolik was a fourth liner with poor analytics in buffalo last year 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Staal was productive in Minny and strong advanced stats in buffalo.

Frolik was a fourth liner with poor analytics in buffalo last year 

I know, I know, he should be fine.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we're not quite there yet! 🙂