Three Hab prospects named to Team Canada's tryout camp

Leafs Suck

Carey Price

06price_5340.jpg

The Canadiens raised a lot of eyebrows taking him fifth overall in the 2005 NHL Draft, but Price has stood out for a struggling Tri-City team. His 2.34 GAA, .920 save percentage, 24 wins and eight shutouts placed him in the top 10 of all WHL goalie categories, good enough to earn a spot in the 2005 CHL Top Prospects game in Vancouver. He also played at the U-18 World Junior Championship in the Czech Republic, leading Canada to a silver medal. Stats through Dec. 5: 8-9-3, 2 SO

Kyle Chipchura

06chipchura_4921.jpg

Chipchura has long been considered by scouts as a two-way player with with a bit of offensive upside. His best junior season thus far was in 2003-2004, when he tallied 48 points in 64 games with Prince Albert. Last season, Chipchura went down very early with an Achilles' heel injury, but bounced back and played in 28 regular season games and 14 playoff matches. Played for Canada at the 2004 World Under-18 Championship in Belarus, and was taken in the first round by the Montreal Canadiens. Stats through Dec. 5: 27 GP, 6 G, 15 A, 37 PIM

Guillaume Latendresse

06latendresse_5133.jpg

He tallied 49 points in 2003-04 and was named to the 2003-2004 QMJHL All-Rookie Team. He scored 53 goals and 137 points in 118 games in his first two seasons with Drummondville and helped lead Canada to a silver medal at the 2005 World-18 Championship. Drafted in the second round by the Montreal Canadiens in June, his strong play almost saw him crack the lineup in the final week of the preseason. Stats through Dec. 5: 25 GP, 22 G, 18 A, 55 PIM

[Edited on 2005/12/5 by Leafs Suck]

Great news!... My guess is Latendresse is just about a fix on the team, while Chipchura should have a good shot at a more defensive roll...

Any chance of Price out-dueling the other goalies?

I'd say Price has a good chance to make the team. It helps that Brent Sutter has, ahem, let's just say an "affinity" with WHL players. Sutter should be plenty familiar with Price's ability. He'd better have a good camp, though.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Good for the Habs' kids.  

sh!TSN's will not be happy Price made the team.

I doubt it. They mentioned Gui's name first when talking about who Canada can look to for scoring. I find TSN's pretty good for being fair when talking about prospects, not really paying attention to who drafted them, except when there's a good Leafs prospect (which is understandable).

[Edited on 12/6/2005 by les_glorieux]

Originally posted by Macaskill

Great news!... My guess is Latendresse is just about a fix on the team, while Chipchura should have a good shot at a more defensive roll...

Latendresse is a lock, and will probably be on the #1 line. You'd think that Derick Brassard would be a lock too since him and Gui are linemates in junior, but that would require Sutter to pick 2 players from the Q, so I'm not sure it'll happen.

Originally posted by option+

Latendresse is a lock, and will probably be on the #1 line. You'd think that Derick Brassard would be a lock too since him and Gui are linemates in junior, but that would require Sutter to pick 2 players from the Q, so I'm not sure it'll happen.

i know you're being sarcastic, but I think there's 7.

Originally posted by les_glorieux
Originally posted by option+

i know you're being sarcastic, but I think there's 7.

Yes, 7 were invited to the selection camp, but it remains to be seen how many make the team. This a good crop of Q players though, so I hope to see a few. Ultimately Sutter had a gold medal and I don't, so he can go as he pleases. But let's just say that I'm anticipating this year's version of Team Canada to be full of players from the Dub.

Im not really sold on if they will all make it. You Latandresse hasnt been as good on his team as we expected(but will probably play a second line role), Price has had a bad yr(and other goalies are going in hot, ala pogge) and Chipchara, i have o clue, i havent been following him. Maybe he'll play a role like upshall did a few years back

oh and as for price and Latendresse...Price did well against the russians as well..no goals against..and sutter is all too aware of how shit poor his tri-city team is..he will give him a chance to prove himself in camp..he is one of only a handful of players with international experience on the tryout list

sorry "price and chipchura"not latendresse...chipchura would have had every chance to make the team last year..this year he or barker will wear the C..he is the prototype of what a guy like sutter looks for in a player..especially on a team that will be depending on its scoring from mostly very young and inexperienced players

• 2 weeks later...

Price played his first inter-squad game tonight. Allowed only 1 goal. While Ellis allowed 5.

That didn't stop habs-hater pierre maguire from ripping price. amazing, the kids lets one in and clearly outplays his opponent yet maguire spins it as price was the weak one. Plus he praises leaf prospect Pogge as the real deal.