Gainey asking about Jokinen?

Habitforming

I was told this a few hours ago and I'm trying to find out how true it is. Like everyone I don't believe anything until I have proof so if/when I do have proof I will post the source and details etc.

So until then call it an outlandish rumor, pipedream or whatever you want.

"Rumor" has it that Ribiero and Plekanec [possibly a low pick as well] would be going to Florida for Jokinen.

Has anyone else heard anything yet?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like Pleky and don't like Jokinen, I think that would be a a huge acquisition for this team. I don't know how true this is but I would not be surprised nor disapointed if Rebeiro got shipped out sooner rather than later, I also wouldn't be surprised if the major deal on Bob's mind is offence over defence right now

[Edited on 2005/12/6 by gohabsgo252006]

Here's the rundown on Jokinen:

#12 Olli Jokinen | C

Born: December 5, 1978

Kuopio, Finland

Height: 6-3

Weight: 215 lbs.

Pronounced: OH lee YOH kuh nehn

Shoots: Left

Position: C

Experience: 7 years

Drafted: Year: 1997 Round: 1 Pick: 3, Kings

So far in 2005-06:

G 12 | A 14 | PTS 26

+/- of minus(-) 4

4 Game Winning Goals

38 PIMs

6 PP Goals

1 SH Goal

Average Ice Time: 18:34

Couldn't find his Faceoff %

Also, isn't he still the Captain of the Panthers?

Trading a Quebecois away from Montreal is always a risk.

Ribeiro is a second line center and I don't think he'll ever be anything else. Plekanec is more uncertain. But probably he will be a solid third line winger. Could be second line winger if he can produce more up front.

Olli Jokinen is a semi-star. Not a real franschise player but a almost. Just like Koivu in a way. Adding Jokinen would boost the Canadiens offense as Jokinen would be the center of the second line.

Trading Ribeiro without packing him up with Dagenais seems unlikley to me unless a Dagenais trade is done in the same making. Dagenais to the Panthers? No.

Nah, it may seems like a fair deal but I don't like it. When the Habs has a healthy squad they are one of the best teams in the conference. Why trade depth?

I don't think we have much of a chance of getting him, but seriously... if it were possible, its a non issue, its a trade you make.

He's huge, can skate, can score... he's a leader, I really think he's an excellent player. I've seen him live 10+ times and I'm very impressed. He's a HUGE upgrade on Ribeiro on the second line, it's not even comparible.

He also only makes 2.5 million, which is quite low for a player of his quality.

As much as I loved Plekanec's game, thats a trade I would make in a heartbeat, Jokinen is young, turned 27 yesturday, he's got 6 or so years left as a top Centre in the NHL, ya he's that good. Trust me.

Could you imagine how much tougher we are to play against with him in the lineup?

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Jokinen-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sunny

Higgins-Begin-???

I menan, we're alot bigger, faster.. more goal scoring... thats would be amazing, the trade won't happen though of course.

Originally posted by Habby1197

I don't think we have much of a chance of getting him, but seriously... if it were possible, its a non issue, its a trade you make.

He's huge, can skate, can score... he's a leader, I really think he's an excellent player. I've seen him live 10+ times and I'm very impressed. He's a HUGE upgrade on Ribeiro on the second line, it's not even comparible.

He also only makes 2.5 million, which is quite low for a player of his quality.

As much as I loved Plekanec's game, thats a trade I would make in a heartbeat, Jokinen is young, turned 27 yesturday, he's got 6 or so years left as a top Centre in the NHL, ya he's that good. Trust me.

Could you imagine how much tougher we are to play against with him in the lineup?

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Jokinen-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sunny

Higgins-Begin-???

I menan, we're alot bigger, faster.. more goal scoring... thats would be amazing, the trade won't happen though of course.

That would be cool! Go Finland Go!! hehe

It would be sad to lose Plekanec though. We all like him a lot! But we have to face it.. it's impossible we develop and keep all our prospects alltogether.. can we?

They acquired Kovalev, they want to win now. At least they want to have a shot at the Cup. We have to win before the Habs century anniversary. :ghg:

I would much rather trade ribiero for calder. He can play the left side and center. This way the habs wouldn't have to trade Plex. The second line would be calder plex and ribiero. If they were going to trade zednik, they should throw in souray or rivet and get a top 3 D man.

I would like to see BG put together a package for Patrick Marleau. It won't be easy, but Montreal needs more canadian boys who take pride on wearing the CH. Not to mention, Marleau is a big, gifted centre who can score.

Marleau(4m) for Riberio (1.2m) , (Bullis) (1.1m), (Zednik)(1.7m) and a fourth round pick

At this point, I would trade everyone, but Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, Markov, Rivet, Komesarik, Theodore, Price, Latendresse.

[Edited on 2005/12/6 by High&Inside]

I like Marleau also, but I think that there's not much difference between Jokinen and Marleau. They both are big centers, fast, skilled and similar age and similar stats so far this year. The major difference is 4M for Marleau and 2.5M for Jokinen.

I would take either, but I think that Jokinen is easier to obtain then Marleau. All I know is that obtaining one of the 2 would definetly improve this team.

We need help at center, Ribs is not doing the job and Bonk is a Bust. We already have plenty of wingers here and in the minors (Latendresse, Kostitsyn) and they would be much more productive with a Marleau or Jokinen then Ribs.

not that any of this is likely.... but i cant see marleau moving at all.

If you believe marleau is moveable, then you think thorton was brought in to replace him. It seems far more likely that thorton was brought in to augment and take pressure off marleau (or you can view marleau as backing up thornton).

Jokinen might be available... and I would love to have him. Also, the salaries line up right...

I could be wrong, but isn't Jokinen on a one year deal and set to become a UFA next summer?

If that is the case, I would think that the Habs would not trade Ribs and Pleks -especially Pleks- for a one season upgrade at center. It would have to be a sign and trade and that can't happen before Jan 1st.

I don think marleau is available now even though thorton is there, its kinda what every teams whats, two number one centers, kinda like what all these rumours are suggesting we want. I personally would like a marleauy over a jokinen, but jokinen would be a very slight notch below marleau, but a perfect fit on this team. He is pretty much everything (besides prospects) than florida has. I would make the riberio trade in a minute. With that being said, i think riberio will eventually be a very good point producer on some team(im not saying montreal). I look at riberio and see a prsopal, or a savard. Smnall, tremendously skilled, produce points like crazy, yet a team is willing to let them go very easily. Look at how easily the last two have been just let walk away from teams.

Originally posted by Rooster

I could be wrong, but isn't Jokinen on a one year deal and set to become a UFA next summer?

If that is the case, I would think that the Habs would not trade Ribs and Pleks -especially Pleks- for a one season upgrade at center. It would have to be a sign and trade and that can't happen before Jan 1st.

yeah, ribs is an FA after the end of the year....

you make an interesting point, although fla might push gainey's hand if there are competing bids (if any of this is true...).

I'm not too crazy about moving pleks, but I guess out of higgins, perezhogin, and pleks, he is the most expendible. Maybe to move Kostitsyn instead (although that isnt too palatable either)?

For the ones mentioning that Marleau is not available, there are rumors saying the opposite.

The Sharks might be looking for a cheaper offensive 2nd center (since they now have 2 #1 centers) and help at the wings and/or D. They need to replace Stuart and they are very weak at the wing position, especially with Strum's departure. Scott Thornton on a 1st line says it all about their wing depth.

The Sharks acquired Thornton because he was available and because they didn't have to give up is fair market value in return, not because they wanted two #1 centers. The Sharks were apparently about to get Samsonov when Thorton's name came up in their discussions. Proof that they need wingers.

Ribs (1.1M), Zednik (1.8M) and Souray (2.6M) for Marleau (4M)+ a nobody (to help them get rid of salaries if they want to) sounds good to me. Salaries are not to far apart and SJ as room in their cap and we feel up their needs of a cheaper 2nd center, a scoring winger and a D.

But I agree taht Jokinen is cheaper and probably easier to acquire.

no no Agreed leave the kostitsyn brother duo intact...

higgins has CH tatooed on his heart ... perezhogin is a future top 2 winger... Plek is what someone already coined a Poorman's Koivu... we have the real thing we need a higher quality one .. and perhaps another finnish player would be a good bargaining tool to keep koivu next year ... BECAUSE remember koivu is free next season... we need to build up pros for him to turn down an extra million abroad so he stays here... because I am 100% we will be outbid money wise for Koivu...

speaking of which... dont tell me after all my blabbing Koivu and Jokinen hate each others guts?

Originally posted by CoRvInA

no no Agreed leave the kostitsyn brother duo intact...

higgins has CH tatooed on his heart ... perezhogin is a future top 2 winger... Plek is what someone already coined a Poorman's Koivu... we have the real thing we need a higher quality one .. and perhaps another finnish player would be a good bargaining tool to keep koivu next year ... BECAUSE remember koivu is free next season... we need to build up pros for him to turn down an extra million abroad so he stays here... because I am 100% we will be outbid money wise for Koivu...

speaking of which... dont tell me after all my blabbing Koivu and Jokinen hate each others guts?

If BG really wants to keep Koivu after this year, they will start negociations in January and sign him before he becomes a FA. Koivu as already mentioned that he wants to stay a habs and he's waiting for January to ear from the Habs. He loves it here. He said that it reminds him of home with our winters and similar weather. Also, we helped him out during his cancer and he as a big involvement in the community. I don't think we need additional bargaining tools to keep him around.

As for cash, 3.5M/year for Koivu is enough. Lets be honest here, the guy is not an elite #1 center and needs help to be really productive. What as he done without Kovalev? What as he done in the past? He's done good but not great. Marleau is making 4M and I would take him over Koivu any day....definetly, 3.5M is enough for Koivu...4M top. More then that, I say see ya and thanks for the memories.

i would like to see this deal happen for jokinen, its a major upgrade for us and we get rid of ribeiro who is not cutting it as a line2 center. plus it gives us some much needed size and skill up front. My only concern is plex, i would hate to lose him, but sometimes you have to do that to make a good deal happen. I would prefer dags in the deal, but he already was traded away from florida before and im sure they don't want him back