April 5 Oil at Habs 7:00

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ylonen might be a better short-term choice given that he's now got 20+ AHL games under his belt, in addition to the men's league experience in Finland. But he has a mystery injury so don't know when he would even be available ...

Throwing Caufield to the wolves on the first day is exactly what we complained about the Habs doing with Kotkaniemi.

I agree. If Caufield starts lighting it up, bring him up. Until he shows he can succeed in the AHL, I’d rather hold off on calling him up.

If Gallagher was to miss the rest of the season, then he'd be LTIR-eligible where they could use most (not all) of his money.  However, it comes at a cost as it would guarantee a bonus overage penalty for next season.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If Gallagher was to miss the rest of the season, then he'd be LTIR-eligible where they could use most (not all) of his money.  However, it comes at a cost as it would guarantee a bonus overage penalty for next season.

Is that only if Caufield is his replacement right away?  If so, How many games does can he play without the bonuses being an issue next year?  
I wouldn’t hold Caufield back if he is ready just out of bonus considerations, but I would rather have Caufield play some games in the AHL first.  Poehling has done well lately, maybe he is an option until Poehling gets his feet wet in the AHL.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Is that only if Caufield is his replacement right away?  If so, How many games does can he play without the bonuses being an issue next year?  
I wouldn’t hold Caufield back if he is ready just out of bonus considerations, but I would rather have Caufield play some games in the AHL first.  Poehling has done well lately, maybe he is an option until Poehling gets his feet wet in the AHL.

The only relevant bonuses for Caufield is a prorated $25,000 for 7 games played.  There are some other bonuses that will be hit though - I actually wrote about it yesterday if you're interested in the numbers.  https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/montreals-bonus-situation/

Whether Caufield comes up or they trade for a replacement and put him in Gallagher's spot, there is still going to be a bonus penalty from Suzuki and Romanov if they go to LTIR.

It's the same dilemma they faced with Chiarot and LTIR (he was eligible since he'd miss 10 games/24 days), a decision they opted not to take to preserve their minimal remaining cap room.  A lot will depend on how long Gallagher is out - if it's a 4-6 week thing where he could return by the end of the season, that would stop them from trading for a higher-priced replacement.  But even a recall of Caufield (heck, even Evans at this point) would require LTIR and would eat in to their cap space, creating the bonus overage.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The only relevant bonuses for Caufield is a prorated $25,000 for 7 games played.  There are some other bonuses that will be hit though - I actually wrote about it yesterday if you're interested in the numbers.  https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/montreals-bonus-situation/

Whether Caufield comes up or they trade for a replacement and put him in Gallagher's spot, there is still going to be a bonus penalty from Suzuki and Romanov if they go to LTIR.

It's the same dilemma they faced with Chiarot and LTIR (he was eligible since he'd miss 10 games/24 days), a decision they opted not to take to preserve their minimal remaining cap room.  A lot will depend on how long Gallagher is out - if it's a 4-6 week thing where he could return by the end of the season, that would stop them from trading for a higher-priced replacement.  But even a recall of Caufield (heck, even Evans at this point) would require LTIR and would eat in to their cap space, creating the bonus overage.

Thumbs are tricky. If broken, 4-6 weeks minimum. Could be up to 8 depending on details.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I know we can't really trust the word of Marc "I not gonna make a trade never mind I just made a trade" Bergevin, but when a reporter brought up the possibility of a bonus overage next season he wasn't all that concerned about the ramifications, even in a flat cap world. 

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I know we can't really trust the word of Marc "I not gonna make a trade never mind I just made a trade" Bergevin, but when a reporter brought up the possibility of a bonus overage next season he wasn't all that concerned about the ramifications, even in a flat cap world. 

And that's fine - if this is a year where they think they can do some damage, taking the hit is justified.  I'm just pointing out that this isn't something that will magically cure Montreal's cap woes and that there is a cap penalty to keep in mind for next season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

And that's fine - if this is a year where they think they can do so damage, taking the hit is justified.  I'm just pointing out that this isn't something that will magically cure Montreal's cap woes and that there is a cap penalty to keep in mind for next season.

The other thing is that it's much easier to find the $350K next year than this year -- because this year all the players and contracts are already locked in. For next year Bergevin can still make many different choices, even if he loses $350K of cap space.

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

An excellent summary, thanks.

Bad luck re: Gally, but injuries happen. 

If Caulfield is ready to replace Gally’s offence (!!!) then why is he in Laval in the first place?

If he’s not ready, then he won’t suddenly become ready just because Gallagher got hurt.

So he might be able to come up and add some jam for a few games as a result of rookie enthusiasm, but the likelihood is that he is not a 4-8 week solution. 

I’m not even sure you *have* to “replace” Gallagher. When injuries happen, the normal answer is that you ask the rest of the team to step up. It’s not as though Gally is Connor McDavid FFS.

My guess is that Bergevin will try to flip more picks to acquire a credible 2nd-line FW on an expiring deal, something like that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If Caulfield is ready to replace Gally’s offence (!!!) then why is he in Laval in the first place?

They may toss him in the deep end; but, want him to play a few games at 4/5 NHL speed first i assume. 

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not even sure you *have* to “replace” Gallagher. When injuries happen, the normal answer is that you ask the rest of the team to step up. It’s not as though Gally is Connor McDavid FFS.

We survived without Toffoli and without Armia (yes, yes, Armia is not Gallagher). And still without Chiarot.

We are eight points ahead of the Canucks, with two game still on hand, and only about 20 games remain. I don't think it's necessary to go into panic mode right now.

Unless Bergevin makes a significant trade, no one is going to replace Gallagher's output anyway. I very much agree, the rest of our (scoring by) committee needs to step up and fill in. From failing hands ...

IMO it is not only about the possibly of replacing Gallagher with an NHL player (I see Caufield as potentially an eventual add-on this season to provide additional offence, not a core role this season) to push for optimal finish in the standings, but also creating true 4 line scoring depth for the playoffs ... especially as my "gut feeling" is that no legit defenceman is coming aboard.

EDIT: bolded italicized

Not me, I would not bring up Caufield before he has had a chance to play a handful of games in Laval. This is not training camp.

Poehling, Ylonen (before injury), Blandisi and Weal are more deserving

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not me, I would not bring up Caufield before he has had a chance to play a handful of games in Laval. This is not training camp.

Poehling, Ylonen (before injury), Blandisi and Weal are more deserving

I agree that we should see if he can hang with AHL before NHL. If he can then yes bring him up

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Blandisi and Weal are what they are.  You know what you will get from them and the answer is not much.  Why bother.

they may score more than Lehkonen on the 4th line !

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they may score more than Lehkonen on the 4th line !

They also may get scored against more as they are no where close to Lehkonen's defensive play. 

I've also really liked the play of Byron and Lehkonen the last three or four games, both with Evans and with KK. 

I'd just put Evans back in the lineup for now, and we will be getting Armia back soon too, its been 2 weeks since he first tested positive, so he should be back to practicing soon.  I'd have Ylonen and Poehling ahead of Blandisi and Weal if we need a callup. After 3-4 games, Caufield might show he's ready too.  There is Frolik too.  Thats a lot of people ahead of Blandisi and Weal.