Habs sign Jan Mysak

dlbalr

Impressive to me that a smallish 2020 2nd round pick gets signed where J. Olofsson (2018), Struble (2019), Norlinder (2019) have not yet been signed

It may be because the OHL is not playing, and he has been playing well in the Rocket’s bottom 6

Good news!

Edited by alfredoh2009

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Impressive to me that a smallish 2020 2nd round pick gets signed where J. Olofsson (2018), Struble (2019), Norlinder (2019) have not yet been signed

It may be because the OHL is not playing, and he has been playing well in the Rocket’s bottom 6

Good news!

Struble going back to school, so he can't sign without losing eligibility ... Norlinder is tied to Frolunda until spring 2022 as is Oloffsson with Timra

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Struble going back to school, so he can't sign without losing eligibility ... Norlinder is tied to Frolunda until spring 2022 as is Oloffsson with Timra

I am still impressed with Mysak. Good on the kid to earn the contract

... and too bad the others could not force the Habs hand on an early contract 

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typo

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am still impressed with Mysak. Good on the kid to earn the contract

... and too bad the others could not for the Habs hand on an early contract 

Never said I wasn't impressed ... just pointed out why others weren't signed ... for a 19 yr-old to play 13 of 23 games on a team with 20 forwards on the roster is in and of itself impressive ... but he has also bene impressive on-ice when I've watched

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Olofsson seems to be regressing, with the competition for contracts he may not get signed at all. 

Norlinder and Struble will get deals, but it is a matter of when. 

I had a typo, meant to say it is too bad they have not been able to *force* the hand of MB to sign them early 

I hope they continue developing and we see them with the Habs in a couple of years

• 2 years later...

C Jan Mysak (Montreal Canadiens — No. 48, 2020)

My final draft ranking: No. 12

I have watched a lot of Mysak before and after the draft to try to make sense of why I’m such a fan, and why his career hasn’t progressed in line with what I’ve seen, and I’ve got to be honest: This one confounds me. I don’t know what the lesson to be learned here is, like I do with the others. I haven’t had any grand revelations or moments of enlightenment. Virtually every time I’ve been in a rink to watch him — the OHL, multiple world juniors, the Memorial Cup, rookie tournaments, even the AHL — I’ve seen an impressive player who works hard, has plenty of skill, and looks to me like a better prospect and player than his numbers in the three seasons since he was selected indicate. The tape, and some of the tracking that has been done about his game, all seem to support that belief as well. So too does his summer birthday, and the third-line centre role he had to play in his final year on an OHL-champion Bulldogs team that also had Mason McTavish and 100-point man and OHL playoffs MVP Logan Morrison.

I don’t get it. He plays hard, he plays a translatable style, and it just hasn’t clicked for him in the AHL. The good news is this season will be just the second year of his three-year entry-level contract, so a decision on his NHL prospects and future doesn’t really have to be made by the Habs until the summer of 2025. But here’s hoping he can take a big step in Laval this year, because I think he’s capable of it.

A few years later … Mysak didn’t exactly impress in Laval last season, and Scott Wheeler is mystified.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

What's his ceiling if he does put it together? 3C?

There was a time i thought he could be a 2C.  So i guess its how we define ceiling.

Is it his max? Then id still say 2c, but id also say this is unlikely.

What is a good goal for him this year? At this point i don't know that we will even see him become a top 6 AHL forward.  If he "puts it all together" this season, thats where he would be at the end of the year and we can see what the next step is in 2024-25.

Last year he was largely ineffective in the AHL, so we need to see more than that.

59 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What's his ceiling if he does put it together? 3C?

I think that would be the absolute best-case scenario.  I don't think he stays at C if he eventually makes it to Montreal though.