Good news

mathieug

Tuesday Mike Komisarek practiced with the team. Welcome back Mike.

Mike Komisarek est de retour à l'entraînement

www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20051206/CPSPORTS/512061331/5128/CPSPORTS01

That is good news. It's always difficult losing a loved one, especially a parent. I hope he is able to channel his grief into good, aggressive play on the ice.

A son mourns his mother

Komisarek recalls her love, support. 'Won't be a day that goes by during which I won't think about her': Habs defenceman

HERB ZURKOWSKY

The Gazette

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"Some kids don't experience the love and support from their parents," the Canadiens defenceman said yesterday during a lengthy interview, his voice cracking often with emotion. "But I saw first-hand the sacrifices and how she took care of us. There won't be a day that goes by during which I won't think about her.

"She's in heaven, looking down and smiling."

Komisarek's mother died last Tuesday, more than 10 months after she learned she had pancreatic cancer. She was 51. Her son flew home the night before, leaving a practice in Gatineau before a game the following night at Ottawa, to be by her bedside. It was a routine that had become all too familiar to Komisarek this season. Virtually every Sunday morning at 6, he would board a flight to New York, often after a game at the Bell Centre the night before, to spend the day with his mother before returning to Montreal that night.

And, through it all, he kept a stiff upper lip and continued playing, 21 games in all, while averaging slightly more than 14 minutes of ice time a game.

"There hasn't been a time on the ice where I haven't thought about her," said Komisarek, who will turn 24 on Jan. 19. "It's been tough. If I told you it wasn't on my mind I'd be lying. But I've still got a job to do."

"I know my mom was a special lady," Komisarek said. "I was fortunate to have her around for so long and see the influence she had on people. I see her now through others' eyes."

After missing three games last week, Komisarek practised yesterday, his teammates' first day back on the ice after last Saturday's win over Los Angeles.

He sat at his stall, reliving the story and talking about his mother's life, as wave after wave of media came by to offer condolences.

"I'll be playing for her," he said. "I'll continue to make her proud."

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?2731

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20051207...5128/CPSPORTS01

[Edited on 7-12-05 by mathieug]