Apr. 9, Laval vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully you just being over-enthusiastic ... Gallagher is a shyte-disturber, grinder/digger, defender/checker and goal scorer ... CC has only one of those attributes at this point, and even then is a totally different offensive player than Gallagher ... plus, if subbing for BG have defensive responsibilities against top-6 NHL lines.

You are right...he's not a Gallagher replacement, but he's damn sure looking like a stellar Drouin replacement.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I knew Caufield was gonna score. Bring him up to be Gallagher 

Gallagher had 36 games in the AHL before he started (strike season). I think you are joking but you dont need to rush him that quickly.

5-3 Laval final score. Caufield first star with 2+1 (notably Weal is third star with 0+2).

For sure he played a great game. In the AHL. But Poehling scored a hat trick in his NHL debut as well, and he definitely wasn't ready for the Habs after that. Is Caufield? I think Bouchard and Ducharme can figure out whether the right time is now, or sometime later.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

5-3 Laval final score. Caufield first star with 2+1 (notably Weal is third star with 0+2).

For sure he played a great game. In the AHL. But Poehling scored a hat trick in his NHL debut as well, and he definitely wasn't ready for the Habs after that. Is Caufield? I think Bouchard and Ducharme can figure out whether the right time is now, or sometime later.

Caufield scored 30g and 52 points in 31 games and won the hobey baker in his last college season. 

Poehling had 8 goals and 31 points in 36 games in his last college season before that game.

One was a fluke performance even by his college numbers.  This was not 

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Great too see, further evidence that he can score, pretty impressive debut. 

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Caufield scored 30g and 52 points in 31 games and won the hobey baker in his last college season. 

Poehling had 8 goals and 31 points in 36 games in his last college season before that game.

One was a fluke performance even by his college numbers.  This was not 

There is no question that he has far more skill than Poehling. In my mind, the real question is whether one AHL game is enough, and whether now is the right time to move to the NHL.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There is no question that he has far more skill than Poehling. In my mind, the real question is whether one AHL game is enough, and whether now is the right time to move to the NHL.

We lost a guy who had 14 goals for the rest of the regular season, have a sputtering powerplay, and a bum with 2 goals is currently occupying a top 6 LW slot.  I'm not sure what time we would be waiting for exactly that could be more perfect than right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

We lost a guy who had 14 goals for the rest of the regular season, have a sputtering powerplay, and a bum with 2 goals is currently occupying a top 6 LW slot.  I'm not sure what time we would be waiting for exactly that could be more perfect than right now.

I think any caution is looking to ensure it is the right time for Caufield as well as for the Habs

21 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

You make some good points. 

34 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I’m thinking about the next 10 years, not just this season. I’ll trust the Habs’ judgement on this.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I’m thinking about the next 10 years, not just this season. I’ll trust the Habs’ judgement on this.

Agreed. We’ve already rushed too many young players because of need, rather than their readiness. Having him play at least 4-5 games minimum in the AHL isn’t going to hurt him (unless he gets headhunted as a big name rookie). Rushing him might hurt him in the long run.

46 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Let me just add one more point here ... Our PP was running at 18.3% under Julien. After Ducharme took over, it's been 23.4%, which is better than 20 other teams in the league.