Apr. 10, Jets vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Dreary game. Good 10 minutes, everything else was shite.

To my mind, the key was really that Tatar, Evans, and Drouin all had golden opportunities in the first and squandered them. When Tatar missed that set-up from KK I had a very strong feeling that that was the game. Sadly.

I don’t really get this bunch. They *should* be better than this. Yet all season long it’s been erratic at best. I tend to agree with Habs29, though, that the back end is the fundamental problem.

Why is Ducharme playing Perry for 22-23 minutes? Edmundson 21+, Weber 20+.

Especially once we are behind by three goals, give some ice time to the kids -- who were holding their own anyway.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

don’t really get this bunch. They *should* be better than this. Yet all season long it’s been erratic at best. I tend to agree with Habs29, though, that the back end is the fundamental problem.

Yes, they should. While Bergevin didn't fill the whole Santa Claus wish list (uhh, defence), he did significantly improve the team in the off-season. Toffoli, Anderson, Perry, Edmundson and Allen are all significant upgrades. And yet here we are.

Blame coaching? Well, we tried that and it didn't make a massive difference. Yeah, we have some injuries but it doesn't explain everything.

Mystifying.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes, they should. While Bergevin didn't fill the whole Santa Claus wish list (uhh, defence), he did significantly improve the team in the off-season. Toffoli, Anderson, Perry, Edmundson and Allen are all significant upgrades. And yet here we are.

Blame coaching? Well, we tried that and it didn't make a massive difference. Yeah, we have some injuries but it doesn't explain everything.

Mystifying.

Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. This team has under-performed relative to what it is on paper. I’m left clinging to the hope that it’s a “built for the playoffs” kind of squad which looks better once the playoffs hit (like the LA Kings of a few years ago). I don’t see consistency suddenly materializing before that, given the way things have gone.

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

can't wait for teh post game media scrum, to hear what they claim happened tonight ...

Pretty good for a young guy in the situation

The "new" guy took the bullet for the team ... 10:10 after a game like this is brave

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. This team has under-performed relative to what it is on paper. I’m left clinging to the hope that it’s a “built for the playoffs” kind of squad which looks better once the playoffs hit (like the LA Kings of a few years ago). I don’t see consistency suddenly materializing before that, given the way things have gone.

Hate to see where this team would be without the new guys. Think it's time to trade guys like lehkonen, Byron, Armia, and I would even trade Danault.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Hate to see where this team would be without the new guys. Think it's time to trade guys like lehkonen, Byron, Armia, and I would even trade Danault.

Without the new guys, the team probably would be worse than last year’s edition owing to the regression of Weber (as well as the injuries to Chiarot, Armia, and now Gally). It’s nice that KK is a lineup regular and that Suzuki continues learning, but I doubt those two have played well enough that they would have made much difference to last season’s clown show. It’s basically been the Season of Bergevin.

Tuna hangs in there for 5:49 ... still nothing significant ... would anyone expect anything

Ducharme faced the music for 13:00 and managed to maintain an even keel

Perry cared too much and was sent to the dressing room. It didn't fit the lazy effort of the rest of the team so they had to get that influence out of there. I mean, good lord, someone might have even tried out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Mystifying.

Does anyone want to start blaming the GM now, instead of taking about GM of the year. I liked the upgrades on offense and goal. Hate the “improvements” on the D - really just added a bunch of bottom pairing guys.

we are added more old men and by the rumours, look to be adding more.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I like our depth up front - despite the lack of superstar. Ou D is a blooper reel highlight package.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think it’s time to trade the so called core.

Well I stated my opinion a few weeks ago... Bergeron should have done a rebuild... lose bad, get good draft positions, trade the stars... he choice to add fading stars as bandaids... he seemed to think this team was a veteran or two away from being a contender... He is wrong...

we need a new GM, IMO. Honestly, this team would be near bottom if we had the old divisions. 

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hate the “improvements” on the D - really just added a bunch of bottom pairing guys.

I believe we only added Edmundson—who has been better than expected.

Yes, our D could be better (although this pesky cap gets in the way sometimes) but the point CC made was that the team we have today should be playing better than it is.

Somehow it’s less than the sum of its parts. 

29 minutes ago, brobin said:

Well I stated my opinion a few weeks ago... Bergeron should have done a rebuild... lose bad, get good draft positions, trade the stars... he choice to add fading stars as bandaids... he seemed to think this team was a veteran or two away from being a contender... He is wrong...

we need a new GM, IMO. Honestly, this team would be near bottom if we had the old divisions. 

Never knew bergeron was our gm🤔

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I believe we only added Edmundson—who has been better than expected.

Yes, our D could be better (although this pesky cap gets in the way sometimes) but the point CC made was that the team we have today should be playing better than it is.

Somehow it’s less than the sum of its parts. 

Not just looking at just the summer.  Looking at the type of additions he keeps making - Chariot, Edmondson, Scandella.  It’s always guys suited to be bottom pairing guys, that are used higher in the lineup. We need real top 4 and ideally top pairing players.The only positive about the above guys is they aren’t as bad, or expensive as Alzner.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Never knew bergeron was our gm🤔

Probably would make a better GM.