Habs acquire Jon Merrill

dlbalr

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

So another garbage for garbage move, when we need a top pairing dman.

First, this doesn't stop that from happening.  I've never understood the point of a comment like that; teams are capable of talking about more than one thing at a time.

Second, let's see how many top-pairing d-men move by tomorrow.  My guess is zero.

Savard would have been a top paring guy on our team.

how many bottom pairing 7th, 8th dman types do we need to rotate through??

This seems to be at least a modest upgrade on Mete; also Mete explicitly wanted out, so it makes sense to dump him and add someone who isn’t disgruntled. It’s a good move on its own terms.

That said, is this a paradigm-changing acquisition for our blueline? Obviously not.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Savard would have been a top paring guy on our team.

how many bottom pairing 7th, 8th dman types do we need to rotate through??

You'd play Savard ahead of Petry, really?  (He's a righty, not a lefty...)

They needed a depth d-man, that seemed pretty obvious to me.  Mete wasn't doing the job, Leskinen isn't the solution; neither are Ouellet, Olofsson, and Fleury.  They're usable in a pinch but you don't want to be an injury away from using them in the playoffs.  Merrill is a small upgrade on those guys.  Nothing special and there is still a need for an upgrade in the top four, but again, this doesn't stop them from doing that.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

(From a Detroit writer...)

That probably says more about Detroit than about the Habs, but I agree that it is hard to see a downside to this move.

He’s due for his first of the year. I bet it will come with the Habs! 😀

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You'd play Savard ahead of Petry, really?  (He's a righty, not a lefty...)

They needed a depth d-man, that seemed pretty obvious to me.  Mete wasn't doing the job, Leskinen isn't the solution; neither are Ouellet, Olofsson, and Fleury.  They're usable in a pinch but you don't want to be an injury away from using them in the playoffs.  Merrill is a small upgrade on those guys.  Nothing special and there is still a need for an upgrade in the top four, but again, this doesn't stop them from doing that.

On the habs it’s not clear who the top dman is it the captain or Petry?  Right now I’d play Savard ahead of Weber.

I have no issue of them getting a depth D. But very friigin  year I hear that an addition of a a chariot, Edmondson, Kulak, or even that bum Alzner doesn’t stop them from upgrading the top 4. Still waiting for that to happen.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

On the habs it’s not clear who the top dman is it the captain or Petry?  Right now I’d play Savard ahead of Weber.

I have no issue of them getting a depth D. But very friigin  year I hear that an addition of a a chariot, Edmondson, Kulak, or even that bum Alzner doesn’t stop them from upgrading the top 4. Still waiting for that to happen.

I knew you'd put Savard ahead of Weber which is why I said Petry.  (I'd absolutely put Weber ahead of Savard - the two aren't remotely close in my opinion - but that's just me.)

But if you have no issue with them getting a depth D, why was your initial reaction complaining about it?  You can separate the need for a top-four guy from the need for a depth upgrade.

Having said that, again, I'm not overly confident that an impact d-man winds up going.  Savard, a #3/4 guy, was probably the best of the ones that's going to move by tomorrow, at least based on what's out there.  Unfortunately, I think you'll be waiting a while yet for that one.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So another garbage for garbage move, when we need a top pairing dman.

This move might be to make Mete a trade chip.  MB got a replacement, now Mete is expendable.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I knew you'd put Savard ahead of Weber which is why I said Petry.  (I'd absolutely put Weber ahead of Savard - the two aren't remotely close in my opinion - but that's just me.)

But if you have no issue with them getting a depth D, why was your initial reaction complaining about it?  You can separate the need for a top-four guy from the need for a depth upgrade.

Having said that, again, I'm not overly confident that an impact d-man winds up going.  Savard, a #3/4 guy, was probably the best of the ones that's going to move by tomorrow, at least based on what's out there.  Unfortunately, I think you'll be waiting a while yet for that one.

Because I want to see is pick up a legit quality dman first rather than continuing to tweak the depth dmen as we have been doing pretty much since we chose that piece of crap Alzner over Markov.

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

This move might be to make Mete a trade chip.  MB got a replacement, now Mete is expendable.

Mete can't really be a trade chip when he's going to probably be claimed off waivers tomorrow though.  If he clears, maybe he's a throw-in then.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Come on man!

This is another stay at home D man. 

We need puck moving D man

💩

Bingo!!!!

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Mete can't really be a trade chip when he's going to probably be claimed off waivers tomorrow though.  If he clears, maybe he's a throw-in then.

Not necessarily.  Leskinen and Romanov are both waiver exempt.  Leskinen and Romanov could be waived to keep Mete from hitting waivers.  Is Mete worth doing that?  I'm not sure he is but there is a way to keep Mete from hitting waivers.

This also doesn't rule out a defenceman not named Mete might be part of a trade package, which would keep Mete off of waivers as well.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'm not sure he is but there is a way to keep Mete from hitting waivers.

Maybe you missed the news then - Mete was waived today.  They're not revocable - once you're on there, you're on there.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I still can’t believe our move to help our defence is to get another stay at home guy. 

Insanity

As Brian pointed out earlier, this is a move.  It doesn't prevent another move to address a top-4 defenseman.