Habs acquire Jon Merrill

dlbalr

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I still can’t believe our move to help our defence is to get another stay at home guy. 

Insanity

Merrill can skate and is good at getting the puck out of the zone.  He's a stay at home guy but not in the same way edmundson and chiarot are. 

What is the contract? I know under a million per - but is he UFA or RFA?

I don’t mind at all making room for Merrill by risking losing Mete for nothing. 

Mete is a 7th d that does nothing notable. Doesn’t bring offense or shut down d. He just fills a spot. 

Merrill seems at least to be able to bring something to the table when he plays. 

this doesn’t fix the top 4 d issue, but it does solve the 6/7 D issue. 

No issue with the trade ... makes 3rd pairing better ... cost next to nothing ... but I understand the frustration as once Chiarot is healthy the Habs still have issues in the top 4 without an appropriate partner for Weber ... and don't know if Merrill upgrades the 3rd pairing enough to use them to take some pressure off Weber & whoever 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Savard would have been a top paring guy on our team.

how many bottom pairing 7th, 8th dman types do we need to rotate through??

In what world is David Savard on any time, let alone one with Petry and Weber on the same side?

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I still can’t believe our move to help our defence is to get another stay at home guy. 

Insanity

So you think that the defense is defending well enough already. or trading for an offensive d-man will help improve the PK, which sucks? 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

What is the contract? I know under a million per - but is he UFA or RFA?

UFA -- but he was UFA last year, too, and signed for less than $1M, so we can probably keep him if things work out.

In that scenario, Fleury and Leskinen can get another AHL season under their belts, and then we can see whether either one of them is ready for the 2022-23 season.

There goes my theory of trading for a depth LD

I am happy with this acquisition. And so hope Mete clears and glad to another team to be in their taxi squad

8 minutes ago, Gordie09 said:

Now what about a Chiraot and draft pick to Dallas for Oleksiuk? is he good enough to play with Weber or Petry and add to to top 4 with Merrill /Edmundson with Romanov in bottom pairing. 

Oleksiuk has always been mainly a 3rd pairing guy, maybe top 4 if a lot of injuries.  If they were going to get Oleksiuk they likely wouldn't have traded for Merill.  I would rather have a healthy Chairot than Oleksiuk. 

I’m happy with this move as I suggested a trade for Merril on the Athletic trade suggestions article a few weeks ago but I had suggested Byron and a 2nd and 3rd for Merril. To clarify, the suggested 3rd was for Merril and the 2nd for taking Byron’s salary. 

9 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I’m happy with this move as I suggested a trade for Merril on the Athletic trade suggestions article a few weeks ago but I had suggested Byron and a 2nd and 3rd for Merril. To clarify, the suggested 3rd was for Merril and the 2nd for taking Byron’s salary. 

I would have preferred the suggested trade - more for freeing up Byron’s cap space for the next two years.

16 minutes ago, PMAC said:

...I had suggested Byron and a 2nd and 3rd for Merril. To clarify, the suggested 3rd was for Merril and the 2nd for taking Byron’s salary. 

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would have preferred the suggested trade - more for freeing up Byron’s cap space for the next two years.

The Red Wings got a 4th for taking on a quarter of David Savard's contract for this season ... although Byron would have some utility for Detroit, it may take more (I expect) than a 2nd to take on two more years at $3.4 million

1 hour ago, Gordie09 said:

Now what about a Chiraot and draft pick to Dallas for Oleksiuk? is he good enough to play with Weber or Petry and add to to top 4 with Merrill /Edmundson with Romanov in bottom pairing. 

Dallas probably doesn't want to add money for next year and Oleksiak is not good enough to play with Weber or Petry.

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The Red Wings got a 4th for taking on a quarter of David Savard's contract for this season ... although Byron would have some utility for Detroit, it may take more (I expect) than a 2nd to take on two more years at $3.4 million

I’m looking at it from the point of view that we gave up a 5th, so a 3rd and 2nd is a higher return (verbeek to me is a who cares return or loss).

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m looking at it from the point of view that we gave up a 5th, so a 3rd and 2nd is a higher return (verbeek to me is a who cares return or loss).

I was just commenting on the original proposal that the 2nd was for taking Byron ... now that the Merrill trade is done we'll never know what it would have cost to get them to take Byron in a deal for Merrill ... 

3 hours ago, DON said:

So you think that the defense is defending well enough already. or trading for an offensive d-man will help improve the PK, which sucks? 

We have plenty of Dmen to guard the net and block shots. 

The part where we lack is the other side of defence. Getting the puck out of our zone and up the ice. Tough to get scored on with the puck up ice. 

Maybe this guy can do that. I’ve always thought of him as an Edmundson but maybe he is more

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I can't explain half the stuff in the graphic but the scoring-chance suppressing part is encouraging.

We appreciate your honesty.  (I have no clue what most of that means either).

The Wings are 1 of the worst teams so that doesnt really say much about his ability either way when apparently he was playing 20 mins/game.  I figured he'd be better than what his stats say so I'm not surprised by that info or what Commandant has posted either.

I doubt that is was that MB was desperate for LD and Merrill happened to be cheap and available so he got him type scenario.  I imagine MB picked him up for a specific reason and intends to resign him.   

The Habs dont really seem to be a team that goes for rental players.  Sure, they do trades at the deadline and will pickup UFA's, but they seem to target players for a very specific reason that posses a skill(s) that the franchise lacks, and they usually have plans to keep them.