2021 Trade Deadline Thread

Trizzak

A ton of trades happening tonight. GMs sending "u up?" texts and getting deals done.

Mike Reilly to the Bruins for a 3rd

Big Save Dave to the Leafs for a 3rd

Coburn to the Isles for a 7th

Jeff Carter is heading to the Penguins, apparently

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Renaud Lavoie thinks it could be a quiet day for the Habs:

I don't see him making any trades to be honest. Even though I think he should trade our ufa's and try and get high end picks for them. I mean with the top 6 of Toronto and the jets I don't see us doing anything if we happen to make the playoffs.  Bergevin makes his trades at the draft and after.

53 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I don't see him making any trades to be honest. Even though I think he should trade our ufa's and try and get high end picks for them. I mean with the top 6 of Toronto and the jets I don't see us doing anything if we happen to make the playoffs.  Bergevin makes his trades at the draft and after.

but with the firing of the coaches and the signing of Stall, he seems to be more invested in winning now; he may be motivated to make a trade today

on one side, I hope he does because it would be great to see Weber, Price, Petry and to a lesser degree Perry, Staal and Edmundson, win a cup in Montreal.

on the other side, I think it is smarter to roll the dice with the current club but to trade upcoming UFAs and load on picks in 2022 (after this year). the draft this year is too risky to bet on players who have hardly played.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but with the firing of the coaches and the signing of Stall, he seems to be more invested in winning now; he may be motivated to make a trade today

on one side, I hope he does because it would be great to see Weber, Price, Petry and to a lesser degree Perry, Staal and Edmundson, win a cup in Montreal.

on the other side, I think it is smarter to roll the dice with the current club but to trade upcoming UFAs and load on picks in 2022 (after this year). the draft this year is too risky to bet on players who have hardly played.

Yes I know which is why I don't see him moving the ufa's on this team like he should. Danault, Tatar, Armia, lehkonen . Should all be traded today for high end picks. But Bergevin thinks these guys are key parts of this team and this team can contend in the playoffs. 

I had high hopes for this team this year with the added depth. But we ended up hitting the same wall we always do. Why because I think this cord group needs to be blown up. Price and Weber aren't going to be traded as long as Bergevin is  GM, so it has to be the forward group of guys that are just to inconsistent. They stay cold way to long then they stay hot and I believe that's the real problem.

Danault, Tatar, lehkonen, Armia, Byron, Kulak all need to go. 

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yes I know which is why I don't see him moving the ufa's on this team like he should. Danault, Tatar, Armia, lehkonen . Should all be traded today for high end picks.

Lehkonen will be an RFA (not UFA) in the summer so still under team control. If another team thinks he's worth more than $2M/year, then he will still have trade value in the summer.

I agree on all of these except for Danault.

I would trade them all and package with out 2021 first round pick and an average prospect for a top 4 LD, but who would trade their top-4 LD for our junk ?

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree on all of these except for Danault.

I would trade them all and package with out 2021 first round pick and an average prospect for a top 4 LD, but who would trade their top-4 LD for our junk ?

To me Danault plays too soft, all these guys when they're cold they stay cold for far to long and that's the true problem with this team. But Bergevin for someone reason thinks he can win with these guys and won't trade them. Which is why we see the same slump over and over and over with this team. We're turning into buffalo. 

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

To me Danault plays too soft, all these guys when they're cold they stay cold for far to long and that's the true problem with this team. But Bergevin for someone reason thinks he can win with these guys and won't trade them. Which is why we see the same slump over and over and over with this team. We're turning into buffalo. 

To quote Mr Potato Head, just above, "who would trade their top-4 LD for our junk?"

It's nice to say that Bergevin should trade our castoffs for elite forwards and defencemen, but it takes two to tango, and some other GM will have to agree to the deal.

Don't think any of the Habs UFAs would get "high end picks" 

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

To quote Mr Potato Head, just above, "who would trade their top-4 LD for our junk?"

It's nice to say that Bergevin should trade our castoffs for elite forwards and defencemen, but it takes two to tango, and some other GM will have to agree to the deal.

Who's asking for a top 4ld? Trade these guys for picks to clear up cap space, at the draft you can then use those picks to pick up a LD 

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Who's asking for a top 4ld? Trade these guys for picks to clear up cap space, at the draft you can then use those picks to pick up a LD 

this year is not the year to be loading up on draft picks. It is worse than ever without scouting. Eligible players have hardly played and I am guessing that beyond the 1st round, there will be lots of disappointing picks

I do not want the Habs to load up on 20+ picks past the first round and hope they can hit some homeruns.

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

You could do that however I think MB hasn't given up on this year and the Habs play a lot of games in a short period of time at the end of the year so I think he wants some depth. 

It was mentioned on Sportsnet just now (they've been doing live look-ins at the top of each hour before starting their coverage at noon) that the Habs are among the teams to call about Hoffman.  It was also stated that Mete is expected to be claimed off waivers.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

...  It was also stated that Mete is expected to be claimed off waivers.

With Ottawa having traded two defenceman and Detroit and Buffalo one each I would bet heavily on it, and I am not a betting man by nature ... having said that, watch it be Anaheim who gets him

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You could do that however I think MB hasn't given up on this year and the Habs play a lot of games in a short period of time at the end of the year so I think he wants some depth. 

That's the problem, it seems like every year around trade deadline day we hit a wall and  we are just on the bubble of a playoff spot, so Bergevin doesn't want to trade our ufa's because he doesn't want to give up on the year and he doesn't add to help the group out. It's like ground hog day over and over with this team this time a year. 

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That's the problem, it seems like every year around trade deadline day we hit a wall and  we are just on the bubble of a playoff spot, so Bergevin doesn't want to trade our ufa's because he doesn't want to give up on the year and he doesn't add to help the group out. It's like ground hog day over and over with this team this time a year. 

Perpetual "once you make the playoffs anything can happen"

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I hear you, we are kind of in between again, not good enough where adding that player will make us a serious contender but not on the outside where you trade all your UFA's for draft picks and rebuild. 

No, nada, zero trades since 2:00 a.m.  ... networks must be having kittens

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No, nada, zero trades since 2:00 a.m.  ... networks must be having kittens

What, no monkey this year?