2021 Trade Deadline Thread

Trizzak

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hear you, we are kind of in between again, not good enough where adding that player will make us a serious contender but not on the outside where you trade all your UFA's for draft picks and rebuild. 

Yeah I am just tired of it 

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What, no monkey this year?

I miss that monkey.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How did Taylor hall net less than Foglino?

Higher salary, no double retention, and a full NMC.

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I thought that was interesting. I have shared my thoughts before about Taylor Hall. No one was willing to give a 1st round pick for him. That says a lot. 

He is overrated. Or at least, he was; it sounds as though GMs have caught up to the reality. (Not that he's a bad player, but he's no longer the stud, MVP-calibre guy he had a rep as being).

24 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Ottawa claimed VM 

Good fit for them.

We have a trade to report

Blackhawks get Adam Gaudette from Vancouver for Matthew Highmore

The rest of the NHL is in awe
;)

I'm a bit surprised the Canucks gave up on Gaudette, who seems to have a significantly higher offensive upside. Prima facie a weird trade for them, but it must be explicable in terms of Gaudette's RFA status. In other words, Benning is continuing to throw away decent assets in order to pay bloated salaries for overpaid old guys like Sutter, Beagle, and Erickson...

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this year is not the year to be loading up on draft picks. It is worse than ever without scouting. Eligible players have hardly played and I am guessing that beyond the 1st round, there will be lots of disappointing picks

Yes, is different; but who said the stuff you mentioned is a bad thing?

All teams are equal and draft is a crapshoot to begin with...so MAYBE it is the BEST year to have lots of picks for the new Hab GM.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, is different; but who said the stuff you mentioned is a bad thing?

All teams are equal and draft is a crapshoot to begin with...so MAYBE it is the BEST year to have lots of picks for the new Hab GM.

when I was writing that, I thought the same as you. But the team already has 13 picks for this year and 8 next. If we can get high picks in 2022, that would be a better return IMHO

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

when I was writing that, I thought the same as you. But the team already has 13 picks for this year and 8 next. If we can get high picks in 2022, that would be a better return IMHO

Agreed. Also, too many picks in one year results in prospect congestion and challenges with the 50-contract limit.

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

More picks the better especially if they're high. You can then turn around and trade those picks for players.

A quick cap calculation:

CapFriendly has the Habs at $3.56M in LTIR room with Mete gone.  However, with Ouellet (who's in for Leskinen tonight - we need a GDT), Evans, and Primeau coming up from the taxi squad, it's really only $1.19M once they're added to the roster.  If they wanted Hoffman, for example, they'd need retention from St. Louis and probably would need to move a player out.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

With only an hour to go I’m thinking Bergevin isn’t doing anything. 

I guess it’s up to Chairot to come back and save us

That's my thought too. If Chairot is going to be healthy before playoffs then MB is less likely to make a deal. I would rather have no deal than a bad deal. 

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

With only an hour to go I’m thinking Bergevin isn’t doing anything. 

I guess it’s up to Chairot to come back and save us

You know, there's an old saw that a team is only as strong as its weakest link. The weakest link all season has been the bottom-pairing LD slot. Merill looks as though he represents a meaningful upgrade in that slot. So, while only a fool would see Merill as a major acquisition, you can argue that he will play a small but significant role in solidifying our back end. It's the kind of under-the-radar move that can quietly help a team.

Just saying.

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's my thought too. If Chairot is going to be healthy before playoffs then MB is less likely to make a deal. I would rather have no deal than a bad deal. 

Every year under Bergevin at trade deadline we have key injuries and he doesn't do anything to bring  in guys to help. Why because he hopes the guys coming back from injury will turn things around.  Same old same old  no surprise. 

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You know, there's an old saw that a team is only as strong as its weakest link. The weakest link all season has been the bottom-pairing LD slot. Merill looks as though he represents a meaningful upgrade in that slot. So, while only a fool would see Merill as a major acquisition, you can argue that he will play a small but significant role in solidifying our back end. It's the kind of under-the-radar move that can quietly help a team.

Just saying.

Here is my question?  Does he make Romanov better?  That is where we are putting the future of our D-squad, on the third pairing.  We can't have it both ways - so and so is a 3rd pairing guy, or does he help make Romanov better?  Otherwise we are completely wasting Romanov...

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just saying.

I hope this comes true. 

Considering the cheap prices it seems like a misstep to not add. 

Perhaps Caufield is in the near future 

3 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Here is my question?  Does he make Romanov better?  That is where we are putting the future of our D-squad, on the third pairing.  We can't have it both ways - so and so is a 3rd pairing guy, or does he help make Romanov better?  Otherwise we are completely wasting Romanov...

He certainly is a better partner for Romanov than the revolving-door of rookies and Mete he has been exposed to so far. Merill is an established pro who played significant minutes in Detroit. So, yes.

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Every year under Bergevin at trade deadline we have key injuries and he doesn't do anything to bring  in guys to help. Why because he hopes the guys coming back from injury will turn things around.  Same old same old  no surprise. 

He picked up Merill who is a decent 3rd pairing depth defenceman.  Everyone would love MB to pick up a top 4 defenceman who can log a lot of minutes but they are not cheap and easy to find.  Has any team been able to pick up a top 4 defenceman the last couple days?  

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He picked up Merill who is a decent 3rd pairing depth defenceman.  Everyone would love MB to pick up a top 4 defenceman who can log a lot of minutes but they are not cheap and easy to find.  Has any team been able to pick up a top 4 defenceman the last couple days?  

Sorry to disappoint you but our problem isn't just a top 4LD.