2021 Trade Deadline Thread

Trizzak

44 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We aren't really on the bubble. Yes, the last playoff spot but eight points ahead of the Flames and still two games in hand, and the Flames only have about a dozen games to make that up. And that's in spite of the recent injuries and slump.

I'd say we are a playoff team, at least with this year's league structure. Not a contender, but at least a (somewhat marginal) playoff team.

That’s why I really wanted to pick up a better D this year (unless they end up having to retain the Covid divisions next year), will probably be the easiest path to get at least to the Semi-finals.  No perfect teams and I think the most complete team may actually be the jets- solid offence, too 3 goaltender (is be more worried about Helly in a playoff series than the supposed second coming of Johnny Bower in Toronto.  and while the jets D is at best average from a league perspective, it hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be and hasn’t been much worse than the rest of the division. 

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We aren't really on the bubble. Yes, the last playoff spot but eight points ahead of the Flames and still two games in hand, and the Flames only have about a dozen games to make that up. And that's in spite of the recent injuries and slump.

I'd say we are a playoff team, at least with this year's league structure. Not a contender, but at least a (somewhat marginal) playoff team.

Likely in the playoffs ... but it all depends on the five games against Calgary ... Flames take 4 of those and things get tight ... with Calgary playing Ottawa and Vancouver 6 times before the end of the season

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Likely in the playoffs ... but it all depends on the five games against Calgary ... Flames take 4 of those and things get tight ... with Calgary playing Ottawa and Vancouver 6 times before the end of the season

Sure, but the same is true of any playoff team. If they hit the skids and the bubble teams somehow get super-hot, then they risk missing the playoffs.

We can worry all we want, but the fact is that if the Habs were where Calgary or Vancouver are, we would be throwing in the towel, demanding a  tank-job, and calling for MB’s head on a plate. 

A lot of people, including myself, suggested before the season started that the North division would be a two-tier division with four clear-cut playoff teams and four clear-cut losers. That is indeed how it is playing out. And the Habs are clearly in the top-4, albeit in the “second tier” of the first tier. 

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sure, but the same is true of any playoff team. If they hit the skids and the bubble teams somehow get super-hot, then they risk missing the playoffs.

We can worry all we want, but the fact is that if the Habs were where Calgary or Vancouver are, we would be throwing in the towel, demanding a  tank-job, and calling for MB’s head on a plate. 

A lot of people, including myself, suggested before the season started that the North division would be a two-tier division with four clear-cut playoff teams and four clear-cut losers. That is indeed how it is playing out. And the Habs are clearly in the top-4, albeit in the “second tier” of the first tier. 

Given the three games in hand on both Edmonton and Winnipeg, we aren't as far back of those two teams as the standings suggest.  

If you mean the first tier is Toronto, and the second is Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal, then i agree. 

If you mean the first tier is the top 3 and Montreal is a clear fourth best, i disagree. 

Listening to James Duthie on TSN yesterday, pretty much saying Montreal is not going to get any higher then 4th, implying here is a tier difference in the top 4. Right now i think the Leafs are higher then the rest but what the Jets and Oilers did at the deadline has not impressed me. Montreal have three games in hand and with Montreal's next three games are vs Calgary x's 2 and Ottawa. If Montreal goes on a bit of a role, they can get themselves back in the picture with Edmonton and Winnipeg. i personally do not think moving into 2nd or 3rd is not attainable. these next three games are very important for the Habs. Game 1 Calgary will be playing game 2 of a back to back. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Given the three games in hand on both Edmonton and Winnipeg, we aren't as far back of those two teams as the standings suggest.  

If you mean the first tier is Toronto, and the second is Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal, then i agree. 

If you mean the first tier is the top 3 and Montreal is a clear fourth best, i disagree. 

TO is obviously a cut above. I am honestly uncertain as to how the Habs stack up to Winnipeg; but I tend to see Winnipeg as superior to the Habs. The Oilers have insane top-end talent but I am not convinced that they are a better overall team than the Canadiens.

Calgary should be better than they are, but that's their problem. But I agree that the Habs should be seen as belonging to a playoff tier in the North which is plainly a step above the non-playoff tier. I don't see the Habs as a "bubble" team in this format, and the standings bear that out.

54 minutes ago, Gordie09 said:

Listening to James Duthie on TSN yesterday, pretty much saying Montreal is not going to get any higher then 4th, implying here is a tier difference in the top 4. Right now i think the Leafs are higher then the rest but what the Jets and Oilers did at the deadline has not impressed me. Montreal have three games in hand and with Montreal's next three games are vs Calgary x's 2 and Ottawa. If Montreal goes on a bit of a role, they can get themselves back in the picture with Edmonton and Winnipeg. i personally do not think moving into 2nd or 3rd is not attainable. these next three games are very important for the Habs. Game 1 Calgary will be playing game 2 of a back to back. 

Calgary can beat the leafs tonight then crush us two times. We lose to Sens because they play us hard and Mete is a beast. 

Next thing you know Canucks have many games in hand and get hot. 

Habs find themselves in trouble. 

We need to crush and destroy the Flames or we could be screwed 

It will be hard for Vancouver/Calgary to go on a big roll with such a strong group of teams in the North Division.  Even if Montreal played .500 the rest of the year, Calgary would have to win 13 of their last 15 games to catch them.  Possible but highly improbable. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It will be hard for Vancouver/Calgary to go on a big roll with such a strong group of teams in the North Division.  Even if Montreal played .500 the rest of the year, Calgary would have to win 13 of their last 15 games to catch them.  Possible but highly improbable. 

Last I read the Habs are a 97.4% lock to make the playoffs...

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Last I read the Habs are a 97.4% lock to make the playoffs...

That sounds about right. Part of the reason MB didn't make any panic moves at the deadline, he can do the math or at least he has people that can do the math for him. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Calgary can beat the leafs tonight then crush us two times. We lose to Sens because they play us hard and Mete is a beast. 

Next thing you know Canucks have many games in hand and get hot. 

Habs find themselves in trouble. 

We need to crush and destroy the Flames or we could be screwed 

yeah, if Calgary wins 5 games in a row, while we also proceed to lose 5 games in a row, they can be back in the race. 

The fact remains this is highly unlikely. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

yeah, if Calgary wins 5 games in a row, while we also proceed to lose 5 games in a row, they can be back in the race. 

The fact remains this is highly unlikely. 

Unlikely yes

But we play the Flames 5 times. They win all 5 and things aren’t looking so good. 

We just need to keep winning 

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We are not a lock until we are 100%

All I’m saying is that we need to bury the Flames and if things go well we can leave oilers to fight with the leafs. 

I prefer the Habs going into the playoffs on a roll and full of confidence they can beat anyone. Steady cruising in forth spot until the end of the seaon

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

But we play the Flames 5 times. They win all 5 and things aren’t looking so good. 

We just need to keep winning 

If we were to lose all our remaining games. And Oilers, Jets, Flames, Canucks and Sens all were to win all their remaining games, I think we would end up in last place.

Well, if it were possible, at least we'd get a lottery pick out of it. :nuts:

• Upvote 2