Sergei/Siarhei Kostitsyn OHL rookie of the month

Peter Puck

I'm a Wolves season ticket holder, and I'm in Section 15 as well; row H I'm always wearing a Wolves jersey/sweater and my "wolf" hat....

too bad we didn't know about this too.

Guess what! I was in row 'C' at the corner end of the Knights bench. My sign was a-wavin'. Too bad we couldn't at the very least say 'Hi!'. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. He's on a loaded team but Iguess part of the reason why it's so loaded is because of him. I'd say his role is similar to Havlat's on the Sens.

• 1 month later...

This is a little late but I was Sergei play last Sunday in Kingston.

He showed quite impressive stick handling skills and made some great passes. His finishing wasn't as good as he fumbled the puck or buried into the goaltenders chest each of the 3 or 4 times he was open in front of the net. He will benefit greatly from an increase in size and strength - he was fairly easily pushed off the puck a few times. He wasn't afraid to go into the corners though.

What I mainly wanted to comment on was his ice time and conditioning. The Knights basically played a large part of the game and most of the last 30 minutes with 7 forwards and 4 defencemen. I was sitting behind the Knight's bench and judging from the players reactions this seems to be the norm.

Kostitsyn was one of these 7 forwards. He probably played close to 30 minutes. The Knights top forward, Rob Shremp, played even more. I timed him playing 6 out of 8 minutes at one point in the third period. What I like about this is that Sergei seems to be developing great stamina. I am a little worried though that it may also encourage him not to play hard in the first half of the game.

Guest Biff Malibu

A buddy of mine has a website called Knights Videos where he uploads highlights from every televised Knights game. He does complete videos which are clips put together with some music behind them and he also sorts highlights by individual players.

To view Sergei's individual highlights click here and then select one of the catagories.

Here is an article about Sergei. Two interesting points:

Kostitsyn meets with a tutor in London at least once a week to help him with social interaction, including skills native Londoners take for granted, like placing an order at Tim Hortons.

"We hear Sergei is ahead of his brother (Andrei) in English right now and his brother played in (Hamilton) last year," Knights assistant GM Jim McKellar said. "He's a good teammate and one of the most popular guys in the dressing room. The guys actively seek him out to do things, which really helps

2. Sergei likes the Detroit Red Wings dressing room but says the Habs is nicer.

Well hopefully both Kostitsyn's develop and one day play together in Montreal. Be nice in 50 years if were talking about the Belarussian great Andrei and his smaller younger brother who won more stanley cups!!!

Mmmmm.....where have I heard this before????