Nothing To Do With Anything

Trizzak

Ok, good luck

Gonna go back to school?

I've thought about it, but it just seems too risky to me, financially. With all my scholarships, my family was able to afford my four years of college and I already feel like I've wasted that since I'm getting out of the field that I studied for. I'm quite wary of spending a bunch more money on more school, knowing how it turned out the first time.

I've thought about it, but it just seems too risky to me, financially. With all my scholarships, my family was able to afford my four years of college and I already feel like I've wasted that since I'm getting out of the field that I studied for. I'm quite wary of spending a bunch more money on more school, knowing how it turned out the first time.

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean.

I ran into financial difficulty myself a month ago and had to...resign, I guess, my position in school. Have to apply again in a couple of months. :(

My computer is driving me nuts. All of a sudden, it misses every 3rd or 4th keystroke. Wtf? I cleaned out the keyboard and it didn't help at all. Restarting stopped it the first time, but now it won't go away. Just typing this message was a huge pain in the ass.

Man, I LOVE Nutella, but my metabolism is not the fastest :unsure:

I think I eat Nutella toasts for breakfast 250 days in a year... With a glass of orange juice (real juice with pulp), it can't get better...

Computer is driving me nuts. I've been wanting to reformat for awhile and finally got around to it, hoping it would fix my keyboard problem. It didn't, apparently Dell's stupid keyboard is just dying and I have to get a new one. Also, now Google thinks I am a bot and I have to Captcha every search. It's not on my end, either. AVG, SpyBot, and Lavasoft all say I'm clean. Oh, and fhockey is down, so I can't get EHM installed.

Computer is driving me nuts. I've been wanting to reformat for awhile and finally got around to it, hoping it would fix my keyboard problem. It didn't, apparently Dell's stupid keyboard is just dying and I have to get a new one. Also, now Google thinks I am a bot and I have to Captcha every search. It's not on my end, either. AVG, SpyBot, and Lavasoft all say I'm clean. Oh, and fhockey is down, so I can't get EHM installed.

Keyboards can die?

Take this for what it's worth, but our work's IT guy told me that Spybot itself is spyware.

Keyboards can die?

Take this for what it's worth, but our work's IT guy told me that Spybot itself is spyware.

Apparently the connections have worn down, at least, that's what I was told by someone over Tech support chat.

Hmm, I always figured Spybot was solid, since my school recommended it. Looks like it used to be solid, but has gone down the drain.

Oh yeah, Spybot has been terrible for a while. Kick it to the curb.

From wiki: "In January 2008, PC Magazine, after giving Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5 a score of just 1.5 out of 5, elected it as one of the worst tech products of the first quarter of 2008 and called its malware cleaning-up skills mediocre."

Oh yeah, Spybot has been terrible for a while. Kick it to the curb.

From wiki: "In January 2008, PC Magazine, after giving Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5 a score of just 1.5 out of 5, elected it as one of the worst tech products of the first quarter of 2008 and called its malware cleaning-up skills mediocre."

*uninstalls Spybot*

Any recommendations for a replacement program?

*uninstalls Spybot*

Any recommendations for a replacement program?

Among the free spyware programs?

PC World just did a comparison of all of them and liked Avira the best saying functionally it was the best of the bunch but it's interface is frustrating.

Personally I just use AVG. They ranked it 3rd, saying it's easier to use but it's malware protection isn't as good. My own opinion? It's simple to use and gets the job done. It's lagging malware protection is only a concern if you spend all your time checking out sketchy websites.

One of those two should work though. I think AVG is pretty popular.

Among the free spyware programs?

PC World just did a comparison of all of them and liked Avira the best saying functionally it was the best of the bunch but it's interface is frustrating.

Personally I just use AVG. They ranked it 3rd, saying it's easier to use but it's malware protection isn't as good. My own opinion? It's simple to use and gets the job done. It's lagging malware protection is only a concern if you spend all your time checking out sketchy websites.

One of those two should work though. I think AVG is pretty popular.

I already use Avast, so I don't really need a full-fledged anti-virus program. I also have Ad-Aware. I used Spybot to kill the rare few trojans and such which actually made it onto my computer.

I use McAfee Security Centre. Yeah, I have to pay, but yeah, I don't have problems of that sort. Ever. (Well, unless I do something blatantly stupid.)

Well, for once I gotta give Dell Technical support some credit. The new keyboard is working like a charm, and got here in 24 hours. Last time they tried sending me a part, I fixed the problem before it even got here. So now I'm up and running with a working keyboard and a freshly formatted computer. Only things I really lose were Symantec Anti-Virus and Office. AVG replaces Symantec and I still had the installer CD for an older version of Office, all I really lost was FrontPage.

I take it back. My problem only disappeared temporarily and I am back to my computer not reading every 3rd or 4th keystroke. <B>This is getting really old.</B>

No, no. That's just you. You need to get some strength in your hands to hit the keys firmly. Obviously this is an age related problem. Physio.

No, no. That's just you. You need to get some strength in your hands to hit the keys firmly. Obviously this is an age related problem. Physio.

Who says he was trying to hit the keys with his hands?

4 hours with tech support and 130 bucks later and I'm still no closer to having my problem solved. The guy suspected it was my motherboard, but told me I needed to first contact their fee based service to check for viruses. If nothing was found, I wouldn't be charged. Their stupid anti virus scan comes up and says that a dozen store-bought Windows 95 games are trojans. Thus, this false positive reading (I've had these programs for YEARS and no trouble at all) means I actually have to pay. Obviously, deleting these games didn't fix anything, so I'm no closer to solving my problem and they've taken my money. Oh yeah, and they cut me off before transferring me to the department to order my new motherboard. !@#$ Dell!

So, after being cut off last night before getting my motherboard ordered, I was given the run around for another 3 hours this morning. I spent an hour and a half with a person who accomplished nothing in the first hour and spent the next half hour telling me she wouldn't order the motherboard unless I did a clean reinstall of the system. Obviously I balked at this, since had they suggested that from the start, I never would have had to contact the fee based service. So I told her off and then called the other service about a refund, since the other department wanted to basically negate the work they did. They gave me the run around and I think telling them I wanted a refund finally woke somebody. They transferred me back to a more reasonable hardware person who finally set me up with the new motherboard.

Moral of story: Never buy Dell.

Moral of story: Never buy Dell.

Duly noted.

For a company with such an alleged high reputation, I've heard a lot of horror stories about Dell. Hope everything runs smoothly from now on for you!