Cole Caufield called up

tomh009

38 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Caufield now practising with the Canadians. Sweater number is 22, in case you were wondering!

Steve Shutt redux 40-45 years later?  I could live with that!!!!

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Steve Shutt redux 40-45 years later?  I could live without that!!!!

What? What's the issue with Shutt? I recall he scored a goal or three in his time ...

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What? What's the issue with Shutt? I recall he scored a goal or three in his time ...

Sorry - meant to say I could live WITH that! Corrected!

I figured once Laval was on hiatus from games due to Covid and weird scheduling that we would see Caufield on the taxi squad sooner rather than later. It just remains to be seen how long until he is in the lineup. I’m hoping Saturday. 

Happy to see him called up for a spell.

For reasons which I have enumerated in other threads, I'm unhappy to see the fan expectation that he is here to stay. Hopefully the organization is taking a more responsible approach to player development, although the Mete/Kotkaniemi experiences give no particular reason for optimism on that score.

17 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Happy to see him called up for a spell.

For reasons which I have enumerated in other threads, I'm unhappy to see the fan expectation that he is here to stay. Hopefully the organization is taking a more responsible approach to player development, although the Mete/Kotkaniemi experiences give no particular reason for optimism on that score.

Guessing Matthews and McDavid should have had more development time in your opinion? Time in the AHL would have done them some good? Not all players benefit from time in the minors, some do. Some days I am so glad we are all only armchair managers. Caulfield has to prove he isn't ready before anyone including the top brass will believe he needs time down. NHL net and goalies are the same size as in all the leagues. No difference to a sniper. I sure wish we had sent Lafluer to Halifax though, the jump to the NHL so soon ruined his development. Shakes his head and heads for coffee.....

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Guessing Matthews and McDavid should have had more development time in your opinion? Time in the AHL would have done them some good? Not all players benefit from time in the minors, some do. Some days I am so glad we are all only armchair managers. Caulfield has to prove he isn't ready before anyone including the top brass will believe he needs time down. NHL net and goalies are the same size as in all the leagues. No difference to a sniper. I sure wish we had sent Lafluer to Halifax though, the jump to the NHL so soon ruined his development. Shakes his head and heads for coffee.....

Yep, if Caulfield is an all-time generational player, then I have no problem with bringing him up right away.🙄 I didn’t realize we had drafted the new Mario Lemieux; my apologies.

32 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep, if Caulfield is an all-time generational player, then I have no problem with bringing him up right away.🙄 I didn’t realize we had drafted the new Mario Lemieux; my apologies.

I don't know about that, but I am very confident that TODAY he is more useful when shooting the puck than Jonathan Drouin (as are a few of the guys in my local men's league, in all likelihood)...so to bring him up and have him play select minutes (especially on the powerplay!) cannot hurt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I don't know about that, but I am very confident that TODAY he is more useful when shooting the puck than Jonathan Drouin (as are a few of the guys in my local men's league, in all likelihood)...so to bring him up and have him play select minutes (especially on the powerplay!) cannot hurt.

I am OK with bringing him up for a spell, given that Laval is in suspended animation. Give him a taste, let him see what the big league is like, and - hopefully - ride a wave of rookie enthusiasm to a temporary outburst of offensive production.

What I object to is the idea that bringing kids up with zero AHL time is a good development strategy. A few games in Montreal, sure. The idea that he is now a Montreal Canadien going forward? Non merci. But there seems to be little point in making this argument; most Habs fans appear to be committed to the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and rushing our best prospects, then retroactively lamenting that we “ruined their development.”

• Like 1

But remember, if you bring him up, that's it for non-emergency recalls.  If he struggles and they have to send him down, they can't recall him for the rest of the season unless it's on an emergency basis.  So while having him play a couple of games out West seems like a plausible scenario in itself, it presents some problems for roster management the rest of the way.

Exactly, so hold him up until and injury to a forward allows you to play him. He has not proven yet if he is able to score at the NHL level, but we have no idea until he is given a chance. He is not a teen. He is 20, and could easily be able to play at the high level. Maybe he continues to outscore Matthews at this level. Who knows? Excited to find out.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

But remember, if you bring him up, that's it for non-emergency recalls.  If he struggles and they have to send him down, they can't recall him for the rest of the season unless it's on an emergency basis.  So while having him play a couple of games out West seems like a plausible scenario in itself, it presents some problems for roster management the rest of the way.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Exactly, we would need and injury for him to play. Maybe he can make the NHL jump, maybe not.  He is not a kid though, he is 20. This isn't KK coming in without a whisker on his face. Maybe he can be a top end goal scorer. One can hope. Until he shows he isn't ready he should be given a chance to work into the lineup and play if the chance arises. AHL is not going to help him at this point of time. He has shown in a couple games that he can easily dominate that level. To me our mishandling of youth is not bringing in Mete or KK early, it is not giving our youth a shot. 

Never said generational, but he did out score Matthews in USHL. He might just be elite. That good enough 'Cuke?

37 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Exactly, so hold him up until and injury to a forward allows you to play him. He has not proven yet if he is able to score at the NHL level, but we have no idea until he is given a chance. He is not a teen. He is 20, and could easily be able to play at the high level. Maybe he continues to outscore Matthews at this level. Who knows? Excited to find out.

Exactly, we would need and injury for him to play. Maybe he can make the NHL jump, maybe not.  He is not a kid though, he is 20. This isn't KK coming in without a whisker on his face. Maybe he can be a top end goal scorer. One can hope. Until he shows he isn't ready he should be given a chance to work into the lineup and play if the chance arises. AHL is not going to help him at this point of time. He has shown in a couple games that he can easily dominate that level. To me our mishandling of youth is not bringing in Mete or KK early, it is not giving our youth a shot. 

Never said generational, but he did out score Matthews in USHL. He might just be elite. That good enough 'Cuke?

Whatever. Galchenyuk was a sure-fire #1 C. KK was Kopitar Redux. Scherbak was a top-6 sniper. Poehling was Bo Horvat. Fucale was Price’s successor. Beaulieu was an elite rushing d-man. Tinordi was a top-4 shut-down defender. Higgins was a future all-star. Kostitsyn was the most talented player in his draft year. Blah blah blah blah.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Meanwhile, the principle that it is better to let players learn the game properly in the AHL remains valid for all but the most rarified prospects.

44 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Is it worth keeping him on the taxi squad without playing for a month while waiting for an injury?  I don't think that's ideal.  I get why they've brought him up to the taxi squad for now; he'll be on the trip out West and only miss one NHL game in the process but once the Habs are back in Montreal, he should be back in Laval unless he's in the Habs' lineup by then.  He's a high-end prospect but he can still benefit from time with the Rocket.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Is it worth keeping him on the taxi squad without playing for a month while waiting for an injury?  I don't think that's ideal.  I get why they've brought him up to the taxi squad for now; he'll be on the trip out West and only miss one NHL game in the process but once the Habs are back in Montreal, he should be back in Laval unless he's in the Habs' lineup by then.  He's a high-end prospect but he can still benefit from time with the Rocket.

And Bouchard is able to spend much more time on player development than Ducharme.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If he's not playing in MOntreal, Send him back down when the rocket are actually playing games.  But they have one game between now and the end of the month.   If it was 4 or 5 games, the decision is obviously to have him in Laval.  But is it worth it for that? or do you take him on the road trip and let him practice with the NHL team instead of the AHL team over the next couple weeks since he'd only play once anyways.

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If he's not playing in MOntreal, Send him back down when the rocket are actually playing games.  But they have one game between now and the end of the month.   If it was 4 or 5 games, the decision is obviously to have him in Laval.  But is it worth it for that? or do you take him on the road trip and let him practice with the NHL team instead of the AHL team over the next couple weeks since he'd only play once anyways.

I’d keep him with the team on the trip until the end of the break. That way, he’s spent at least some time with the habs, before we do play him.  Also makes gives him time with the team, prior to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d keep him with the team on the trip until the end of the break. That way, he’s spent at least some time with the habs, before we do play him.  Also makes gives him time with the team, prior to the playoffs.

Agreed ... even getting to know "the guys" has value

Just now, Chris said:

The only guy who can score, should be getting to know the guys? 

Not what I said ... Caufield is caught up in a Covid related roster issue ... all I said is that *** if *** he is not going to play there is still some value in being around the team

The Habs get shutout against Ottawa of all teams and have scored like 21 goals in their last 10 games and we want to talk about rushing the best goal scoring prospect we have had in decades? Some of you think too much, let the kid play and see what happens. If he looks out of place then send him back down. The guy is like 6 months younger than KK who is in his THIRD PRO YEAR and you don't have a problem with him playing right? If he helps the team he belongs on the team, it is pretty simple. 

20 minutes ago, illWill said:

The Habs get shutout against Ottawa of all teams and have scored like 21 goals in their last 10 games and we want to talk about rushing the best goal scoring prospect we have had in decades? Some of you think too much, let the kid play and see what happens. If he looks out of place then send him back down. The guy is like 6 months younger than KK who is in his THIRD PRO YEAR and you don't have a problem with him playing right? If he helps the team he belongs on the team, it is pretty simple. 

As I understand it ... if they add him to the roster so he can play, that would be their last call-up until the end of the season ... if it doesn't work out he could be sent back to the AHL but the Habs could not call-up a replacement forward from Laval or the taxi-squad ... they would have to play a defenceman as the 12th forward