Cole Caufield called up

tomh009

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

As I understand it ... if they add him to the roster so he can play, that would be their last call-up until the end of the season ... if it doesn't work out he could be sent back to the AHL but the Habs could not call-up a replacement forward from Laval or the taxi-squad ... they would have to play a defenceman as the 12th forward

I admit I am unaware of the cap implications by bringing him up, but I think this is one of those things that you just make happen. I also don't really care about the rest of the regular season games, but I will be absolutely livid if I don't see #22 play by the playoffs to see how he can help. 

11 minutes ago, illWill said:

I admit I am unaware of the cap implications by bringing him up, but I think this is one of those things that you just make happen. I also don't really care about the rest of the regular season games, but I will be absolutely livid if I don't see #22 play by the playoffs to see how he can help. 

I have no doubt you will get your wish about seeing Caulfield in the lineup. They need a spark. Since the 1st 3 weeks of the season their offence has struggled. In the first 11 games they averaged 4.4 goals/game, in the last 31 games they have averaged 2.6, that's a big difference. 

55 minutes ago, illWill said:

dlbair clarified for me that with Primeau returned to Laval the Habs have the cap space for Caufield (or a similar contract) but it will their last call-up of the season ... so its a strategic decision for MB et al, not just that they want to see what CC can do

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As I understand it ... if they add him to the roster so he can play, that would be their last call-up until the end of the season ... if it doesn't work out he could be sent back to the AHL but the Habs could not call-up a replacement forward from Laval or the taxi-squad ... they would have to play a defenceman as the 12th forward

Primeau would be the guy sent down.  So they wouldnt need to play a defenceman as a forward but they wouldnt be able to call anyone else up.  So say he replaces Lehkonen... lehkonen is the only option to replace him if it doesnt work.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Primeau would be the guy sent down.  So they wouldnt need to play a defenceman as a forward but they wouldnt be able to call anyone else up.  So say he replaces Lehkonen... lehkonen is the only option to replace him if it doesnt work.

Can we not put Byron on taxi and use Caufield in his place? If it doesn’t work out then Caufield goes to Laval and Byron comes back?

This is a confusing rule to me. 

Do we need more taxi people? There are people we could waive that would pass if that’s an issue 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can we not put Byron on taxi and use Caufield in his place? If it doesn’t work out then Caufield goes to Laval and Byron comes back?

This is a confusing rule to me. 

Do we need more taxi people? There are people we could waive that would pass if that’s an issue 

If you send Byron down and call up Caufield, that's the fourth and final non-emergency recall.  Caufield would have to stay up for the remainder of the season no matter what as they'd be out of non-emergency recalls.  (Well, that, or dress seven defencemen.)

They don't need to send Byron down to bring up Caufield.  Primeau's off the cap now so they have the room to bring Caufield up without a corresponding move.  But that's their last one if they do.

It's not a matter of taxi squad size but recalling someone from there counts as a recall unless it's an emergency one (under 12 forwards due to injury).

I think I'm going to dig into this a bit in my Habs Weekly post to try to explain the situation.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If you send Byron down and call up Caufield, that's the fourth and final non-emergency recall.  Caufield would have to stay up for the remainder of the season no matter what as they'd be out of non-emergency recalls.  (Well, that, or dress seven defencemen.)

They don't need to send Byron down to bring up Caufield.  Primeau's off the cap now so they have the room to bring Caufield up without a corresponding move.  But that's their last one if they do.

It's not a matter of taxi squad size but recalling someone from there counts as a recall unless it's an emergency one (under 12 forwards due to injury).

I think I'm going to dig into this a bit in my Habs Weekly post to try to explain the situation.

Thanks Brian 

Bottom line is if they bring Caufield it means this is the roster until playoffs. 

I’m okay with that. 

I tried to summarize the four recall situation but it wound up being way too long of a write-up to be thrown into the Habs Weekly column.  I'll post it as a standalone piece tomorrow instead and we'll see if it needs tweaking if they decide to bring Caufield up now.

• Upvote 2

Thx @dlbar, no clue what you do for a living, but are you a Chartered Accountant?  If not, you must have spent a lot of time learning how all this works.  The Cap rules are so complicated I'm almost surprised that GMs can figure it out. 

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

(Well, that, or dress seven defencemen.)

Is there any potential to play games with Gustafsson?  ex: he could likely play F, but I'm not sure how that would be viewed.  i.e. if he was playing F would he be considered a 7th dman, or a F?  

Silly question, but is there not a rule where a team can exceed the Cap, but they will be penalized in the next year?  I vaguely recall there being a rule for that, but maybe they got rid of it.  I'm pretty sure there have been teams that have gone over the Cap before. 

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thx @dlbar, no clue what you do for a living, but are you a Chartered Accountant?  If not, you must have spent a lot of time learning how all this works.  The Cap rules are so complicated I'm almost surprised that GMs can figure it out. 

Is there any potential to play games with Gustafsson?  ex: he could likely play F, but I'm not sure how that would be viewed.  i.e. if he was playing F would he be considered a 7th dman, or a F?  

Silly question, but is there not a rule where a team can exceed the Cap, but they will be penalized in the next year?  I vaguely recall there being a rule for that, but maybe they got rid of it.  I'm pretty sure there have been teams that have gone over the Cap before. 

I believe that "carry-over" is only for ELC bonuses if any part or all of those bonuses can't be paid within the salary cap.  With the Habs in LTIR the ELC bonuses will reduce the cap available for player contracts next season

Just now, GHT120 said:

I believe that "carry-over" is only for ELC bonuses if any part or all of those bonuses can't be paid within the salary cap.

Yup, you can't be over the cap or the NHL won't let you play the game, that is why some teams have had to play games with 16 or 17 skaters at times, cause they didn't have the cap space to call up injury replacements.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not a Chartered Accountant but I am in a finance-related role for my day job.  I've done a bunch of reading up on the CBA over the years and have been in contact with people on the various cap sites to nail down some interpretations.  I'm far from having a strong handle on some elements though.

In your Gustafsson scenario, he'd still be treated as a defenceman even if he was to take a few shifts at forward since defence is his primary position.