BRISEBOIS TRADED

Well, if they did, how would I be the first one to know about it?

Anyway, here's my take on it.

Brisebois is still a valuable defensemen, and AS has to trade him because:

a.) he has a large salary

b.) to make room for our next PP QB (Markov)

c.) to give Montreal a scapegoat (the Paris trip)

He was a good defensemen some of the years, and it'll be a shame to let him go, but it will represent that the times have changed. The Youth Movement will be official

However, the question is not just "who for" but also "who to"?

I know think that Tverdovsky wouldn't be enough. While we aren't really in a position to demand a high return, it's not like Brisebois is a suck-all player.

Tverdovsky would be another Markov, except more defensively liable than Brisebois, and not half as physical.

If Rivet can be a bit mroe physical, I'd accept that. But Komisarek, Souray and Quintal will be the physical D's(assuming 'Soo' and 'Quit' will be with us at the start of next season), so Rivet will just have to be like Dykhuis of 2 years ago, and be solid in his own end, and add a few points here and there.

With Markov anchoring the No.1 PP, Tverdovsky would go well on the 2nd PP as QB, but I'd prefer to give that to Hainsey (when up from minors), Souray (we missed his shot this year) or Komisarek (known for low, hard shot as well as being "the Wall").

So Brisebois for Tverdovsky straight up wouldn't work, especially if we were eating part of his salary.

So with NJ an option, but not a definite answer, we turn to my brilliant idea (not to be immodest or anything):

Brisebois to Toronto!!!

Losing Svehla to retirement, Housley (not resigned), and Wesley back to CAR via UFA, they'll need a defensemen. It seems like an ideal choice, as:

a.) Toronto (known as the Yankees of NHL, though IMO that's the Rangers) can afford his salary

b.) While they are a conference rival, look how Hackett's doing in Boston. I dont feel that bad about the trade.

c.) The have a tonne of good prospects who could help us out, even just a small one.

As I've said all year long, Ric Jackman is a quality prospect, and would definitely help our blueline in the future. Young, mean streak, hard shot from point. Like Komisarek, but not as big a hitter.

Here's a link:

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/player.cgi?1729

:/) He's worth looking at. Apart from the other 10 great prospects on the Laffs.

Other teams we could look at sending him to are:

LA - Although we'd definitely have to eat salary, they have more NHL-calibre prospects than the Laffs, and trading Schneider means they need a PP QB. Brisebois, with half his salary for the first year, could do well there.

FLA - Need veterans, and help on the blueline. With OZO gone, they could go for him. He'd fit in well there, though staying out of Keenan's doghouse could be hard. But hey, who says Keenan's there next year.

NYR - Why not. They can afford it. Detroit doesn't need him, DAL isn't looking for one unless Hatcher goes, and STL won't need one until MacInnis dies (or retires)

BTW, MacInnis for Norris (and I mean it)

So who to, what for, and when.

Those are all answers I'd like to know.

Any more team ideas, lemme have 'em.

and...

:ghg:

Personally I'd be thrilled with a Brisebois for Tverdovsky swap ... Tverdovsky maybe stinking up the playoffs the you but you cant deny his skill , he is exactly what we need if we trade Brisebois (a replacement RD QB) , plus he is young and another Russian for Markov :D

As for the Jackman suggestion , Rick Jackman is hardly a prospect , the guy is 24 and on his 3rd team , he isnt anything special.... I'd ask for alot more then him in return for Brisebois.

[Edited on 2003/5/20 by puck7x]

Sure, the guy is OK, but he's a guy that's never going to live up to his full potential. With guys like Komi/Hainsey/Markov + Rivet here for the long-term, a top-4 spot (which he needs to perform) will not be available.

Furthermore, the Habs once had a player like him, "a superstar in the making/a can't miss prospect" who had alcohol problems, the late Bryan Fogarty. We all know what happened with him, right? The same thing could happen to Jackman at any time, and that's not worth the risk IMO.

I'd take Tverdovsky over Brisebois in a heart beat. Christ, how many 40+ point seasons has Breezer had? Now count how many Tver has had. Now look at their ages. No contest that you take Tverdovsky.

Actually if we did do a deal like that it would probably make Hainsey very tradeable. We'd have two very good offensive d-men in Markov and Tverdovsky, not to mention that Komi can put points up too. So at this point Hainsey could be dealt...although I don't think it would be necessary.

As has been said, Jackman is nothing. In fact, Toronto has very few prospects of note. They traded some at this past years deadline and they didn't have much to begin with.

LA would be a nice fit if we picked up a chunk of Breezer's salary.

I think it will be tough to get prospects with the new CBA coming up. If the NHL plans to go hard on a salary cap then no one will be looking to add any salary and prospects become more valuable to the bottom line.

So, if we can dump Breezer for Tverdovsky then I think we'll be in a good situation. If prospects do carry more value because of the CBA then Hainsey could very well be dangled for quite a bit. Hell, maybe we could even deal him at the trade deadline for a good draft pick.

Breezer for Tver straight up. Maybe some cash involved...

Then Hainsey and ?? for a top 3 pick.

:guru: