Apr 17, Senators at Canadiens, 4:00 PM

tomh009

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But if they sent down Byron they could, for example, bring up Caufield ... but be unable to replace him with anything other than a roster defenceman if it proved to not work out?

Technically, yes.  But they don't need to send down Byron to do that; with Primeau going back to the taxi squad today with Price coming back, they now have the LTIR room to bring Caufield up without needing to make a corresponding move.  Either way, it becomes their last regular recall. 

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wasn't supposed to do the recap for this one but I wound up doing it.  I'm still more than a little frustrated with the loss and decided to go on a bit of a rant instead of the usual three stars... https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/senators-shut-down-and-shut-out-montreal/

Good article and good piece on Ducharme. He deserves blame but you are right that he was dealt this hand. 

Still, I can’t see Ducharme being the right coach for us. His style is very similar to Juliens. They handle defensive game differently but the thought processes are the same. 

IMO the best course of action is to clean house and reset this off season. New GM, coach, scouting. 

We are not good and I don’t buy the argument that we should put up with it because there isn’t anyone better. 

Good argument, Brian. I appreciate your usual restraint as principal overseer of this site, but it’s good to see you charge out there now and then with a well-founded “rant.”

Adjustments are important. Then again, DD probably observed that the team *really* quit on him after he dared to bench Tatar. The lesson that you cannot afford to alienate the vets probably was not missed by Ducharme. (This doesn’t rule out tactical changes, of course; but even there, there’s so little practice time this season that it tends to tie coaches’ hands).

I’m starting to wonder whether the hold-over veterans from past years simply have too many bad habits from too many years of being a terrible hockey team. The newcomers have generally been excellent; it’s the prior core that has sucked. It’s as though they have been conditioned by unending mediocrity to be mediocre.

I find it almost impossible to judge Ducharme.

With this schedule he has no practice time to install his own system, all he can do is minor tweaks to Julien's system. 

The fact it looks the same as Julien with just minor differences shouldn't be a surprise. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

With this schedule he has no practice time to install his own system, all he can do is minor tweaks to Julien's system. 

The fact it looks the same as Julien with just minor differences shouldn't be a surprise. 

I agree. Couple that with the lack of roster flexibility and he is in an unenviable position. I would like some changes on the PP eg remove Weber and Drouin but other than special teams, and to a degree, ice time he has little to no options. Here’s hoping that they use that last recall on Caufield starting Monday. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There is truth here but I think if we get bounced quick in the playoffs he will be a casualty and likely Bergevin too

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is truth here but I think if we get bounced quick in the playoffs he will be a casualty and likely Bergevin too

It will probably ruin his DD’s career, or at least seriously dent it; he’d be added to the list of “very promising coaches” who become tainted with disastrous failure in their first NHL stint. Your best bet after that is probably to resurface as assistant coach somewhere.

As for MB, yes. Despite the fact that he has, objectively speaking, done a superlative job of adding to last season’s roster with a series of bold, strong moves, at the end of the day you cannot keep him around if the team craps out this season. There is only so much failure any owner or fan base should tolerate. His tenure has basically been a disaster and he really needs an impact season in order to redeem his GMship.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wasn't supposed to do the recap for this one but I wound up doing it.  I'm still more than a little frustrated with the loss and decided to go on a bit of a rant instead of the usual three stars... https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/senators-shut-down-and-shut-out-montreal/

Great write-up ... and the Final Thought was tight, accurate, thoughtful ... but it lacked the venom for a rant ... which, after last night, is to your credit ... it would have been so easy to slip into a true rant.

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Great write up.

I'm hoping Merrill and Gustafsson will have an impact.  Merrill should help with defence and getting the puck out of the zone.   If Gustafsson plays on the PP he likely wont be playing hot potato with the puck like the rest of them.  He'll 1 time he puck not just at the net, but on it. 

Thats a big part of the problem.  i.e. numerous Habs dmen have decent shots from the point, however, they almost always miss the net.  ex:  Romanov, Edmundson, & Chairot all took shots that went wide of the net.   That's typical of the Habs dmen in most games.  It almost seems like Weber is the only dman capable of getting a shot on net.  

Due to lack of accuracy of their dmans shots they should almost start missing the net on purpose.  i.e. have a F down low near the side of the net to get the puck when it deflects off the end boards and do a quick fast shot on net.