Apr. 24, Habs vs Flames, 7 PM

dlbalr

Just now, Trizzak said:

What a boring team to watch. 

Habs or Flames?

Hopefully Price plays well after his concussion return. This team is a dumpster fire. Execution is a huge issue. Petry needs to return to his Norris caliber play from the beginning of the season, to inject some confidence in this team.

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Hopefully Price plays well after his concussion return. This team is a dumpster fire. Execution is a huge issue. Petry needs to return to his Norris caliber play from the beginning of the season, to inject some confidence in this team.

Goaltending has not been the problem ... will Carey dress as a centre ... can he win faceoffs ... from practices on occasion it looks like he has a good shot

Toffoli faced the music, respect that ... and put up with some HORRIBLE audio ... but it was the same old blah-blah-blah ... or maybe yada yada yada ...

Does this look like a team that believes in their coach's system? Or a team that rallies behind their captain's efforts? Hell, do they look like they think they got what they needed from their GM at the trade deadline?

Like watching paint dry.

giphy.gif

After a -3 game Petry at least came out and gave fulsome answers ... but what could he possibly say ... at least they fixed the audio problems that TT faced

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Goaltending has not been the problem ... will Carey dress as a centre ... can he win faceoffs ... from practices on occasion it looks like he has a good shot

No, but there is a solid argument that he could probably throw a better punch than Weber, Chiarot, and Edmundson.  You know, so Anderson and Perry don't have to fight. 

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Well, he probably moves the puck out out Our zone than most our dmen - but that’s probably not a good thing🤭

Primeau next ... thought he was composed and well spoken ... impressive after such a disappointing game

24 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Agree on execution. So many passes in the skates, just out of reach, not quite on point. Very frustrating. You can’t use your speed if you are always having to pause to collect the puck. KK’s disastrous play, where he stood around unable to collect a pass before coughing it up, was just an extreme version of this ongoing problem.

I thought Primeau played fine. Some juicy rebounds here and there, but basically an NHL goalie, at least tonight. The Habs can neither score on the Flames nor contain them in the defensive end; then again, they struggle to contain *anybody* in the defensive end, and can’t score on anyone, either.

An insipid effort from an all-too-often insipid team. And the Flames had FIVE D for most of the night, FFS.

What I want to know is why did the D stop playing that hard nose physically aggressive style that they were playing the first 10 games of the season. To a D core that plays soft?

They were moving the puck so well pushing the offense up the ice, long stretch passing spring the forwards.  Aggressive plays to turn the puck over. Clearing the front of the net. 
 What happen?

Just now, Habsfan89 said:

What I want to know is why did the D stop playing that hard nose physically aggressive style that they were playing the first 10 games of the season. To a D core that plays soft?

They were moving the puck so well pushing the offense up the ice, long stretch passing spring the forwards.  Aggressive plays to turn the puck over. Clearing the front of the net. 
 What happen?

The damn Senators happened thats what.  i.e. in the 1st game against the Sens they pressured the Habs dmen and everything went to crap after that.  Its like all the other teams watched that game and all figured it out.  Since that game no teams are giving the Habs dmen the time and/or space to make those long breakout stretch passes.

They need to start flipping out of their zone.  Toffoli flipped out the other game, but it went to nobody.  I'm wondering if Gustafsson or Merrill are flippers?  That would be helpful. 

• Upvote 1

I think I'm at the point that I would like to see Ducharme just be pissed off ... not as positive as possible and Mr. Understanding Nice-guy

I’m not blaming Ducharme for this Titanic of a team at all. But I do wonder whether firing Julien made any sense in retrospect. The team that melted down after the first 10 games has basically been the team we’ve seen ever since the hot start. Maybe MB confused the team basically reverting to what it really is, with a coaching issue.

Incidentally - has anyone paused to contemplate where we’d be without Jake Allen? If the Habs do manage to hang on and make the playoffs, MB will basically have saved the season with that signing.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not blaming Ducharme for this Titanic of a team at all. But I do wonder whether firing Julien made any sense in retrospect. The team that melted down after the first 10 games has basically been the team we’ve seen ever since the hot start. Maybe MB confused the team basically reverting to what it really is with a coaching issue.

Incidentally - has anyone paused to contemplate where we’d be without Jake Allen? If the Habs do manage to hang on and make the playoffs, MB will basically have saved the season with that signing.

Not just Allen but toffoli and Anderson. We would be in the bottom 10 again.

As much as the Habs have been successful against Vancouver and Edmonton.... Calgary has done the same thing to us.  Its just not a good matchup.   

Their defence doesn't get beat by our speed and takes away the middle of the ice and we just have no answer.

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not just Allen but toffoli and Anderson. We would be in the bottom 10 again.

Not to mention Edmundson and Perry too.  MB has made numerous really good moves that should greatly improve the team, yet somehow the results are almost the same as last year if not worse. 

I think Merrill and Gustofsson will also help, but so far Staal seems to be a dud. 

No clue what is wrong with the core of this team but I dont think they are being played properly.  I also thinks its a d issue and lack of a C that can score 20+ g/yr.

Also, the level of competition in the NHL has increased so its harder to make the playoffs.  Its not like it can be said that the Flames suck, they have a decent team and they're in 5th.