20 team playoffs????

shortcat1

Is that enough question marks, by the way.

On RDS, the intermission announcers (Demers and some other guy) were talking about a push being made to increase the number of teams in the playoffs. Some player is a strong spokesman for the idea but I forget the name.

Memory says that the top two teams of each division (= 6) plus the next top four of each conference (= 4). That would make it 10 for each conference therefore 20.

There would be a three-game first-round elimination (of the 'next top four' ) while the top 1st and 2nd teams have a bye. Then, the 6 1st and 2nd teams of each division and the 2 left-overs from the first-round elimination would make 8 teams to battle it out. That would set up the regular 8 to 4 to 2 to 1 set of series that would lead into the Stanley Cup finals.

Effectively, this would extend the playoffs by one three-game elimination series (4 or 5 days?)

I don't know what to think about it. There are pros & cons to it, obviously. On good thing about it is that it would lessen the impact of teams from weaker divisions making it to the playoffs (I think). On the other hand, it would also allow MORE teams from the weaker divisions to make it to the playoffs (I think).

Obviously, I've not put a whole lot of though into this. I'll let you fill in my holes.

:hockey::D:hockey::D:hockey:

[Edited on 2005/12/11 by shortcat1]

There will be no 20-team playoffs any time soon

On a plus note there is an expected salary cap increase next season.

There will be no 20-team playoffs any time soon

On a plus note there is an expected salary cap increase next season.

I hate this idea. Not only are we letting much lesser teams into the playoffs (which is a waste of time) they're gonna be tired once they play the higher teams in the conference which will make it that much easier for teams like Detroit and Ottawa to roll over their opposition.

Show Me The Money.

Good thread shortcat1, I read this too and thought they were not serious. Hockey should have top 12 teams period. 16 teams is too much and 20 is just WAY too much.

When baseball went to wildcard the purists were wanting to jump off buildings. For baseball expansion in my opinion was good because nothing like knowing your team had no chance 3/4 of the way into the season. Now it is better as there is hope if you are a winning team.

Hockey is just going to reward substandard teams with at least 2 home games. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.

[Edited on 2005/12/11 by Howie_Morenz]

There are 30 teams in the NHL. 16 make the playoffs. More than half of them! Bad teams make the playoffs as it is so why let even more of them in?

They tried this in the AHL for a couple of seasons, and it was dropped last season. First, the best-of-three series was a joke, as I don't think a series ever went the three games. Second, the 9th and 10th seeded teams never got a home game, nor did they ever win a series, if I recall. If you're gonna add two teams to the playoffs, and make it reasonable logistically and competitively, you'd have to make the first two rounds best-of-five series. I just don't think it's worth it.

Originally posted by Mont Royale

I caught the end of the 'satellite hotstove', and Eric Duhatchek (sp?) said it was a big issue at one point, but it is unlikely to happen now.

Check this page:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=146511&hubname=

2nd last paragraph.

:hockey::):hockey:

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

There are 30 teams in the NHL. 16 make the playoffs. More than half of them! Bad teams make the playoffs as it is so why let even more of them in?

I agree.

Hey, BTH... almost 2500 posts... get off the computer, clean up your room and go do your homework!!!! ;)

the part i really dislike is letting the 2nd place team in the division get a guaranteed playoff spot.... think it was annoying when that southeast division leader got an automatic seed? Wait till the 2nd place team got an automatic seed too. This is all about building a system to control the geography of the playoffs.