April 28, Maple Leafs @ Canadiens, 8pm EST

TurdBurglar

Going simple again for the GDT as the last one worked.  I’ll add more later.

If my understanding of seeding is right, Habs need 5 points in 10 games to clinch a playoff spot mathematically as of right now.

• Upvote 1

• TurdBurglar changed the title to April 28, Maple Leafs @ Canadiens, 8pm EST

This from H I/O:

“With defenceman Alexander Romanov placed on the taxi squad Monday — a move that was required to activate Caufield — Ducharme decided to pair newcomers Jon Merrill and Erik Gustafsson. Both players were acquired at the trade deadline. “They played well together,” Ducharme said. “They were composed on breakouts and made some solid plays defensively. They did a solid job.”

Let the rage begin

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This from H I/O:

“With defenceman Alexander Romanov placed on the taxi squad Monday — a move that was required to activate Caufield — Ducharme decided to pair newcomers Jon Merrill and Erik Gustafsson. Both players were acquired at the trade deadline. “They played well together,” Ducharme said. “They were composed on breakouts and made some solid plays defensively. They did a solid job.”

Let the rage begin

I believed that Ducharme was an idiot for a while now. This simply confirms that our coach is out of his depth. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I believed that Ducharme was an idiot for a while now. This simply confirms that our coach is out of his depth. 

I really feel for Kulak. He is a mostly capable #5-6 defenceman, yet this organization treats him like a piece of used toilet paper.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I really feel for Kulak. He is a mostly capable #5-6 defenceman, yet this organization treats him like a piece of used toilet paper.

I have no idea why Gustafson would be in over Kulak.

Drouin taking and indefinite leave for personal reasons and is on LTIR, TSN is reporting.

I guess that means no worries about Caufield and Romanov until he returns.  This would qualify as an emergency call up, right?

16 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting lines

Unless Merrill and Kulak are both injured I guess they have used their last call-up on Romanov ... HORRIBLE roster management/planning IMO ... three call-ups used the first day and the final one used one game after the player was demoted.

With Drouin's injury Habs only have at most 11 regular forwards available, and clearly Tartar and Byron are both still hurting as Caufield, Evans and Frolik are playing ... the only "good news" in Drouin's absence is that Caufield can stay up the rest of the season if the Habs so choose.

I like the fact that they have taken two of the smallish players (Tatar and Byron) to heal and rest instead of playing them hurt 

I also line that they put together a « scoring » line with Toffoli, Suzuki and Caufield

if the Habs loose the game,

at least they will try giving CC a chance with more dynamic players 

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Unless Merrill and Kulak are both injured I guess they have used their last call-up on Romanov ... HORRIBLE roster management/planning IMO ... three call-ups used the first day and the final one used one game after the player was demoted.

With Drouin's injury Habs only have at most 11 regular forwards available, and clearly Tartar and Byron are both still hurting as Caufield, Evans and Frolik are playing ... the only "good news" in Drouin's absence is that Caufield can stay up the rest of the season if the Habs so choose.

Choosing Gustafson over Merrill is insane. Toronto is going to eat Gustafson’s turnovers for breakfast. 

Agree with Alfredoh that I’m happy Caufield gets an offensive line

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, we're now missing Tatar, Gallagher, Drouin and Byron up front -- and Price. That's a big hit. Those four forwards add up to 2.15 points/game ...

There is an upside to this; it gives other guys an opportunity to step up and it gives guys a rest, a lot of games before playoffs so these guys will be fresher come playoff time (I am assuming the Habs will be in the playoffs). 

Stay out of the box, blanket Matthews, and this is winnable despite the notable absences.  A little magic from Toffoli, Anderson, and maybe a huge 1st NHL goal from a certain rookie could get the job done.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Where is Tatar?

Where is Merrill?

This is a weird lineup. 

Tatar has been playing hurt for a few games. I reckon Ducharme/Bergevin have decided it's better to give some guys a bit of a break instead of trying to force more hockey out of them.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He has struggled at times for sure and dont think is a big downgrade leaving him in pressbox. But, do hope Romanov is back today.

Did Merrill get injured or something?  He is clearly the better bottom pairing defenseman, including Romanov.  

The 3rd pair should be Merrill - someone else while the top-4 is heathy.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Going simple again for the GDT as the last one worked.  I’ll add more later.

If my understanding of seeding is right, Habs need 5 points in 10 games to clinch a playoff spot mathematically as of right now.

They need more than 5 points to clinch. If they get 5 more points they will end up with 56, Calgary has 45 points and has 8 games left so they can still finish ahead of Montreal. Vancouver has 14 games left and they play Calgary 4 times I think. I am not sure what the exact number of points is to clinch but it's more than 5.