April 28, Maple Leafs @ Canadiens, 8pm EST

TurdBurglar

Sorry to say, even with Gallagher they are outgunned up front by most top teams. But, drag out the ol Jim Carey GIF and it isnt a "hopeless" situation.

Perhaps all the star align, some timely goals and saves and steal a game or two, but odds are that the Leafs will rout them pretty quick.

6 minutes ago, Pino10 said:

I think the habs with a full lineup, the proper system and Price playing like he did in last years playoffs will beat the leafs in the first round. Playoff hockey is a totally different game. I almost hope they lose all these games in the regular season then stun them and their cockiness in the first round. I can just see them beat them in the first game and then the ghosts of playoff pasts will run through leaf nation. I really do see it playing out that way. 

I don’t rule this out. The Leafs are getting pretty comfortable sailing into the playoffs. That can definitely backfire. However, it should also be noted that the Leafs have suffered all the right growing pains and have added guys like Foligno who are kind of “playoff-built” players. Your scenario may come to pass, but the smart money is on the Leafs, not just to beat Montreal but to go a long way.

Anyway, there is no way the Habs are going to do it with an injury-riddled lineup. We need to get healthy and yes, we need Price to bring his A-game like he did against Pittsburgh. (Unfortunately, I’ve basically lost all faith in Carey Price at this point; he may not even be available for the playoffs, who knows, and even if he is, which Price will show up? You never know any more).

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hate how much has been made of the Gallagher injury - as if he is some sort of franchise player. He’s a wonderful player, but a team that can’t win without Brendan Gallagher? Come on.

However, when you add Drouin and Tatar on top of that...fair to say that, for a club which is supposed to get goals by committee, losing an entire top-6 line is a legitimate problem. 

Byron is nothing, and Price has basically been a backup-quality goalie this season, but the latter is obviously a significant subtraction because Allen is not really a bona-ride #1, Carry-the-Mail type of goalie. He needs to be part of a rotation.

To my mind, the goal now has to back into the playoffs, get healthy, and (hopefully) mutate into the 2014 LA Kings in the postseason. 

As you say, its 3 top 6 forwards plus another depth piece up front....  then you have Allen playing a starter's share of the load (something he's never been good at) because of the injury to Price.  Price has also played better lately than his start to the season, but still. 

Its not just the injuries though, the Leafs have a good team and they also have the advantage of resting 4 days while the Habs played in Calgary, and now faced the first game at home after a Western swing (something that is tough for any team). 

So it was more than just the injuries that gave them a big disadvantage last night.

Leafs also have a whooping 2 picks this year a 2nd & 5th and 3 left in 2021 a 1st, 2nd, 5th.

So are basically all in this year and next.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Leafs also have a whooping 2 picks this year a 2nd & 5th and 3 left in 2021 a 1st, 2nd, 5th.

So are basically all in this year and next.

I assume you mean 3 left in 2022 but yes the Leafs are all in.  I don't blame them as when you are close you have to go for it. They now have some grit and leadership up front which was lacking before.  The only question seems to be goaltending.  If the Leafs get good goaltending then they could win it all, heaven forbid.