Drouin takes indefinite leave of absence from the Habs

titanfan

• titanfan changed the title to Drouin takes indefinite leave of absence from the Habs
6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Addictions or mental health? 

Hope he takes care of himself and hopefully he gets the peace to do so

They are the same thing.  Addiction issues are mental health issues. 

That said, I'm not going to speculate on what is going on.  The team did ask for respect for his privacy, so I'll do that. 

Hoping nothing bust the best for his recovery.

Hockey (sports) is a cruel mistress.  Kids, like Drouin, dream of playing in the NHL.  And for a Quebec born kid, dream of playing for the Montreal Canadiens.

Unfortunately that dream has turned into a nightmare for Drouin. 

It isn't his fault the Habs traded Sergachev for him, or signed him to the contract he got immediately after the trade.  We all expect more, but sometimes this is all a player has.  Yes, there are flashes of brilliances, but he's never been the 'Great French Hope' that Habs Fans thought he would be.  Of course, there is a long list of French Canadian players who haven't been able to live up to the legacy left by Lafleur, Belliveau, Richard, etc.  (Or Roy)

The media has been particularly harsh on him since he arrived in Montreal.  Virtually non stop.  And that is where his family lives.  He'd like to be proud to be a Hab but I am guessing that isn't the case.

Hopefully I'm wrong...but I am guessing we have seen him play his last game in a Habs jersey...and the return will be pennies on the dollar!

It's always sad to see great potential squandered.

As others have noted, the challenge now is just for him to get his life in order, whatever the issue is. And we don't know that the "issue" is misery caused by the pressure of Montreal (which I doubt) any more than we know that this is about addiction, or depression, or whatever.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That said, I'm not going to speculate on what is going on.  The team did ask for respect for his privacy, so I'll do that. 

100% agree ... none of our business unless he chooses to share

17 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Whatever the root cause may be, given how terrible he was playing, this is a blessing.  I hope to see Caufield in his spot on the PP hammering one-timers.

Wow, what an assholish comment to make. 

If your primary concern here is how it effects the team and not how this issue affects the person and his family, you're a douche.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wow, what an assholish comment to make. 

If your primary concern here is how it effects the team and not how this issue affects the person and his family, you're a douche.

All I'm looking at is next man up/cap space/hockey implications, because we have no idea what is going on with mental or physical health (and it's none of our business).  You can concern yourself on other levels if you like, that's your choice...but I'm not going to apologize for mine.  Take your name-calling and shove it up your a**

• Upvote 2

You've been disparaging Drouin all year, and its one thing to criticize him when it is about his play on the ice.  But to seem to be celebrating that he is out of the lineup due to this, is an assholish way to act, but hey, If the shoe fits.... 

I don't need to know what the situation is, or to speculate on what the situation is, to know it is serious if he's been put on LTIR.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Addiction really has nothing to do with mental health.  Issues like depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental health issues and are caused by a chemical imbalance in someones brain.  However, the actual root cause of addiction is trauma and abuse so its really not a mental health issue at all.

No matter what his personal issue is hopefully he recovers and gets well. 

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

No matter what his personal issue is hopefully he recovers and gets well. 

100% agree ... and the rest of his life is the priority ... if it allows him to return to hockey that is a bonus

19 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Addiction really has nothing to do with mental health.  Issues like depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental health issues and are caused by a chemical imbalance in someones brain.  However, the actual root cause of addiction is trauma and abuse so its really not a mental health issue at all ...

From the little research I did today there is no single cause for addiction ... trauma is certainly a possible trigger ... but there are several other factors as well (family history - both genetic and learned behaviour, a mental health disorder, stress, peer pressure/social environment, etc.)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

100% agree ... and the rest of his life is the priority ... if it allows him to return to hockey that is a bonus

Now i am simply curious, if has been a lingering off-ice issue or something recent happened?

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

From the little research I did today there is no single cause for addiction ... trauma is certainly a possible trigger ... but there are several other factors as well (family history - both genetic and learned behaviour, a mental health disorder, stress, peer pressure/social environment, etc.)

A lot of Dr's say that, but they dont have the experience to actually know.  i.e. Search for Dr Gabor Mate on Youtube and watch some of his vids.  He is from Vancouver and works with the addicts in the East end.  Take a guess what all those addicts have in common?  It's trauma and abuse, and primarily from their childhood when they were under the age of 10. 

It is true that some people do have a secondary issue from having a hereditary addictive personality, but those people can get help and stop that behaviour.   

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

A lot of Dr's say that, but they dont have the experience to actually know.  i.e. Search for Dr Gabor Mate on Youtube and watch some of his vids.  He is from Vancouver and works with the addicts in the East end.  Take a guess what all those addicts have in common?  It's trauma and abuse, and primarily from their childhood when they were under the age of 10. 

It is true that some people do have a secondary issue from having a hereditary addictive personality, but those people can get help and stop that behaviour.   

One doctor, one study/experience doesn't convince me ... but regardless, the issue is that whatever the cause those suffering deserve sympathy and support

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

One doctor, one study/experience doesn't convince me ... but regardless, the issue is that whatever the cause those suffering deserve sympathy and support

Well, it certainly isnt 1 study or 1 experience.  This finding is from a Dr's life work in childhood trauma and abuse and addiction.  Dr Mate is the worlds foremost expert on addiction and childhood trauma.  He works very closely with homeless addicts in Vancouver's East end every single 1 of them were abused and under the age of 10.  That isn't something to write off and claim its just a coincidence. 

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, it certainly isnt 1 study or 1 experience.  This finding is from a Dr's life work in childhood trauma and abuse and addiction.  Dr Mate is the worlds foremost expert on addiction and childhood trauma.  He works very closely with homeless addicts in Vancouver's East end every single 1 of them were abused and under the age of 10.  That isn't something to write off and claim its just a coincidence. 

OK, one doctor ... many others say differently ... but we are each entitled to our opinion ... and think/hope we agree in wishing Drouin well.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

OK, one doctor ... many others say differently ... but we are each entitled to our opinion ... and think/hope we agree in wishing Drouin well.

LMFAO, you are so entirely clueless on this.  How TF is it 1 Drs opinion exactly that 100% of all the tens of thousands of addicts in Vans East side that he has talked to were all abused in their childhood?  That info is unarguably an absolute fact.  I'm not stating a personal opinion, I'm simply repeating what the worlds foremost expert on the subject says. 

However, you prefer to state info from Drs who are giving their personal opinions and who havent worked with the amount of addicts Gabor has.  Another fact is no Dr in the world that has talked to and worked with more addicts than he has. 

Who do you think started the worlds 1st safe injection site?  If you guessed Dr Mate congrats you're paying attention and have learned something. 

Yeah I'm not buying it from one doctor, especially when the DSM classifies it very differently.   He may have worked with a lot of addicts, but that still doesn't mean his experience is more valuable than the combined experience of multiple addiction treatment professionals across the globe.  

The DSM is going to represent a much more consensus opinion.

Its also a lot different than what CAMH and other teaching hospitals say. 

https://www.camh.ca/-/media/files/guides-and-publications/addiction-guide-en.pdf

You can also find numerous writings saying that mental health and addiction are related.

Can someone who was abused develop an addiction? sure.

But to say its the sole cause of addiction?  That's lunacy.   There are plenty of people who were never abused who are addicted to drugs or alcohol.

@CommandantI've read the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5.  Why do you think its currently version 5?  Is it because the 1st 4 versions were absolutely correct? No, hence the changes and updates. 

I didnt say only, its the primary cause.  Hereditary is a secondary cause, but those people are able to get help and stop. 

Dr Mate has personally worked with more addicts than any of those Drs that say other info.  Dr Mate has more experience with addiction than all of those Drs who wrote those books/policies combined. 

Furthermore, trauma and abuse can also cause mental health problems, like ADHD etc.  It's not the other way around.  Its not like the old conundrum of which came 1st, the chicken or the egg.  The abuse and trauma comes 1st. 

God speed Monsieur Drouin. Get happy, we all have things to fix and then come back and have some fun playing a great game. The rest doesn't matter.