bob's options

MAK

I kind of like the coaches.

there seems to be a lack of preparation. the team never played a full game thus far this season.

bad leadership?

bad coaching ??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your very right man, I think it may be a combination of both. Right now its clear that theirs no leadership with Saku and Kovy gone. So the bad play could be a reflection of the coaching.. or maybe noone is stepping up? or doesn't have a chance to step up?

this inteliggent way of coaching.... is it not like the Modern way of raising kids? When your kid drowns the hamster in the toilet ..you buy him another one then he puts him in the microwave ... then you have him sit for 10 min and explain why Hamsters are little furry rats with good public relations...

WHEREAS I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN MY BELT AND SMACKED THE KIDD INTO OBLIVION AND THEN.... hmmm sorry got carried away there... In any case the intelligent coaching works I guess but there a timeline that says when it aint working ... I hope Koivu doesnt play this tuesday and we see if the intelligent coaching or the teams responsive self pride has kicked in or there will no other solution than to get medieval on their arses (CJ) included

:contract:

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by CoRvInA]

I think there will be a few minor deals. I'll talk about some real trade possibilities. Ribiero maybe Dgs for someone like calder or arnason. This would then make the second line calder plek and ryder. I don't think anyone will take bonk or sundstrom. leaving the third line higgins bonk sundstrom. The fourth line would be bulis murray and begin. Good tough checkers. This way 4 lines can roll over.

The other trade possibility is souray or rivet and zednick for a younger top 3 D. Maybe Jackman from St Louis (example) and a pick. Montreal needs to get some puck moving D around.

Alot of posters are blaming the coach, i have a few issues myself with the way he coaches but motivation has been a problem for with the core players the last several years. The D other then Markov really hasn't improved. that is Rick Green's job. Maybe he should go. Maybe it's time for several of the core players to move on, the defense is average at best. Playing hard has been the main problem in my opinion for the last few years.

Originally posted by habschris

Alot of posters are blaming the coach, i have a few issues myself with the way he coaches but motivation has been a problem for with the core players the last several years. The D other then Markov really hasn't improved. that is Rick Green's job. Maybe he should go. Maybe it's time for several of the core players to move on, the defense is average at best. Playing hard has been the main problem in my opinion for the last few years.

Let me try one more time. I am not totally blaming Julien for this funk that the Habs are in. He may well be a sound coach and has great ideas for the team; however I do question how the defence plays in the "Defensive" end of the game. I am also questioning the "LACK" of offensive plays. Cycle, cycle, cycle... Enough to make you get dizzy watching these guys trying to score from behind the net.

If Coach Julien is not smart enough to change plays or create new plays based on the talent at hand, then I don't think he is good enough for the job.

Most of us here notice the talent level on the team is not bad. If a small change happens in coaching or having a consultant come in to help the coaches, I would not be upset. Sometimes people get too comfortable in there job and are not able to create new ways of doing things. I dont mind if Montreal loses a few games when the stars are injured, just not most games!

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Howie_Morenz]

Originally posted by Natural Mystic

Play the kids! 1 rookie per top 3 lines, and roll four lines throughout the game

Zed-Koivu-Kovy

Perez-Pleky-Ryder

Bulis-Higgins-Sunny

Murry-Begin-Bonk

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Natural Mystic]

I don't wanna be a wise-ass, aah well i am. But you got 2 rookies on the second line ;)

But i agree in a way with you. (but change Zednik with Perezhogin)

PMAC=MN:?- ;)

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Dutch_Habs_Fan]

Yes i agree, teams will lose games and go into funks, so if the habs are going to lose they atleast need to show up and put forth a good effort. More often then not they have been lazy and soft. Not winning any one on one battles. That is the concerning part.

Guys, let's be honest. This team is right about where it should be. We won alot of close games that could have gone the other way, and right now we have run into ridiculous injury problems. The Habs are tied for scoring the least amount of goals in the whole conference. I'm not sure what people were expecting this year, but realisticly are good enogh to finnish between 6th and 8th. What changes can Gainey possibly make? The team showed no effort on Saturday and they are in a rut. Hopefully some of these guys coming back from injury will spur them on. I just think that guys are over reacting, we have been without one or all of Kovalev, Koivu, Bonk,Markov,Souray, Komisarek...etc It will turn around when guys get back.

Yeah Gainey is unlikely too pull off a major move right now, although something small may be in the works.

I just hope Koivu is back tomorrow and Kovalev is traveling to Edmonton????

Does this mean he could be playing in that game if so that would be amazing recovery time.

Maybe you people have grown too comfortable with losing...the current losing streak, even with out our best players is simply unacceptable. Even worst than the losses is the total lack of effort by the team..and that, my friends, has to fall on the coaches shoulders. Anhyone who watched that game Saturday must realise that Perezoigen was the best player for the habs...yet, he recieves almost no ice time. This guy should be plating 18 minutes a game with his talent level...I think he would be amongst the rookie leaders with that kind of ice time. Instead, he sits, and we can only hope Julien doesn't break his confidence, like he has done with Pleckanic a few times this year allready. Juliens stubborn refusal to play the young guys is making me sick...I hope someone else is in charge of the bench when Latendresse makes the team next year.

Status quo..

The team really was exposed against Anahiem without Koivu. Theodore's play hasnt been up to par at all..and the lack of leadership and general hustle was painfully obvious. It really was a sad display.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When Koivu's on the ice, at least you know there's one player who's going to go all out every single shift.

With the exception of Markov, there is no Canadien who plays anywhere near that. Kovalev has all the skill in the world, but we know that he has a tendency to float on occasion. And that's fine.. Because he has the skill to make up for it with timely goals.

But does Gainey not know that the Habs need better players up front and especially on defense? Oh trust me he sure as hell does. But he's not going to make desperation moves..despite that, when the time is right he'll pull the trigger. Like getting Kovalev.

Theo is the big question mark now. If the Habs are to make the playoffs and get anywhere, he's going to have to play like he can.

Yep, i totally agree, losing is never acceptable. The effort is what i'm most disappointed about with this current team. Even in the hot start i would consider them to be lucky on several nights because they were outplayed. Julian seems to only punish the rookies with ice time. However floaters like Ribiero, Dags, Souray, Rivet at times, Sundstrom, Zednick a little see a ton of ice time and produce little if not nothing. As evidence look at the plus minus. Also 5 on 5 this team is awfull. The stupid penalties are a problem I think the habs lead the league in hooking and too many men on the ice. That is lazy and not focused on the job. Changes have to be made, i'm in favor of players, the core has been together for a while and really hasn't improved.

I don't know why people are so fixated on Theo for his poor play. Is he supposed to score goals as well as stop them? Not even half way through the game on Sat the Ducks had over 20 shots. I would argue that if it were not for Theo on Saturday night, the score could easilyhave been 8 or 9 - 2. Forget about gosaltending, it's not the problem. We don't score goals, and our defence can't break the puck out of our end. Again I reiterate, we have only scored 80 goals ,tied for worst in the conference. Sure Theo has not lived up to his Hart trophy year, but games he played badly in at the beginning of the season we won anyway. He has actually played better in this losing streak than he did when we were winning all those one goal games.

I'm still positive about this.

What team in the league can win without their 2 best players? And some of the losses were even with their top defenceman and other choice players.

Can Ottawa be a great team without Spezza and Heatley? If Chara missed 3 games at the same time? And Volchenkov had to go visit his mom in Russia for a couple of games? And Mike Fisher had a groin pull?

They'd lose games just like the Habs are. How can you judge an incomplete team? I can tell you that Gainey won't do anything until Captain K and Special K return.

Look, the team wouldn't be in a losing streak if Theodore was on fire. He isn't.

And he hasn't been hot for the entire season. You yourself correctly pointed out that the team was winning when he was struggling.

Yes, he's been hung out to dry. But that really has not been new for Theo..its happened time and time again in the past few years. but its true that he isnt bailing out his defensemen as often as he did in the past.

And yes..Gainey will indeed wait until he has his full roster to evaluate personnel.

Buffalo played great and lost what one or two games without their best centre and best goalie. Good thing other guys picked up the slack and played well for them.

I don't buy: "Oh our best Players are out Waaaa Waaaa" that is Leaf crybaby talk. Yes Montreal will lose games because of this, but not this many.

The team needs help somewhere to wake up the players and the coaches. Even if they do one small thing like make one new offensive play, or learn to hit the net when shooting the puck from the point. Even have Dags stand in front of Cujo all night. Drive the X-Leaf goalie nuts and maybe pick up a goal or two. Dags is big enough to do this.

Some things can be done without trades or someone being fired. Try something to confuse the opposition. Regardless of what happens, I will still cheer on the Habs even as I throw a brick at the TV. :)

I have bee reading this board for a while and I think people are going overboard.

BG is doing great at the right speed. This team is the best it has been in a long time and trades do not create miracles. The fact that this team is loaded with kids will automatically make it hard to recover from a bad skid.

The Habs weakness is in D and Finishers. in 2003, evething was weak on this team so we evolved. If we lack finishing there is no way we can trade Z. I do not think we can trade a D for a finisher because we have no depth on D.

The Players I like the least is Ribeiro and Dag because they are soft. But what will you get in return? Nothing for Dag (he is a finisher) and Ribs has so much up side for the little they will get in return. So, the best trade can be the one that did not happen!

New guy

PS Bonk should not be traded because he needs more time to prove himself. A player of his talent do not just wake up one day without his talent.

Patience!

Buffalo's team is not based around Briere and Dumont. Those are their 2 best players but they have guys like Conolly, Afinegenov, Drury and Campbell to play instead. The Habs are built around Koivu and Kovalev. Furthermore, an average defence was completely crippled. It's a different situation.

If you want an example of a team hurting as much as the Habs it's Philly and they're still doing alright. The Habs should be winning more games but did you really expect them to be just as good a team without their best players?

And why blame anything on Theo? He's lost us as many points as he's won us and that's saying something coming off of his rough start.

:ghg::ghg:

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan
Originally posted by Natural Mystic

Play the kids! 1 rookie per top 3 lines, and roll four lines throughout the game

Zed-Koivu-Kovy

Perez-Pleky-Ryder

Bulis-Higgins-Sunny

Murry-Begin-Bonk

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Natural Mystic]

I don't wanna be a wise-ass, aah well i am. But you got 2 rookies on the second line ;)

But i agree in a way with you. (but change Zednik with Perezhogin)

PMAC=MN:?- ;)

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by Dutch_Habs_Fan]

Ohhhh yea, thats what I meant to put down.

See that way the top two lines can score and the third line is good defensively with the potential to score and an energy line. But the main thing is rolling all four lines.

And LOL, naw im not PMAC, or am I... ;)

But really, Im not

:ghg:

I'm not blaming Theo. But the fact of the matter is that no one at all has stepped up in the absence of Koivu and Kovalev and that includes the franchise netminder (him) and the rest of the entire team. It seems that he just isnt the MVP form Theo. For whatever reason. That mvp season he was Montreal. The key to the club's success every single game. And he isn't that anymore.

The CH seems to me short-changed in term of offensive talents.

Everybody seemed to agree when starting this season that our defensive brigade was average or so.

With that in mind,... ONLY an OVBIOUS quantity of forward's offensive talent could ever shift the team's inner average balance upward enought so as to compete confortably within the top tier's best.

We are not there at all.

Gainey had lots of free agents options this year,...and with the un-precedent ''buying-out'' option at his disposal,.....I mean,...there no excuses..... un-precedent leverage yet he signed Dagenais and kept a whole third line of innofensive talents instead of keeping Hossa and signing Real Offensive Talents from the FA market.

We wouldn't be taking about what we are talking if Gainey had out-done himself just a couple months ago.............its to late to do something substantiel right now and that is why the focus is on Julien.....but it didn't have to be.

Do you guys honestly not think Gainey tried? He matched Chicago's offer on Aucoin and made a push for several key players. It's not his fault if they refuse to come to Montreal.

1. Can't forecheck.

2. Couldn't get a turnover in a bakery.

3. Can't clear their own zone.

4. Couldn't hold on to the puck if you super-glued it to their stick.

5. The only thing they can pass is gas.

6. About as hard-hitting as a t-ball league, with the exception of Bam Bam and Komi for a shift or two.

Conclusion: Beyond Koivu, there's NO leadership on the team. None. Begin can be the highest energy player on the team, but the rest won't follow him. No one else has stepped up to even try to take the team by the throat and drag it where it needs to get. Not in their performance, not in their effort, not in holding each other accountable when they screw up. Until two or three guys step up into that role, besides Koivu, this team is hit-and-miss on a nightly basis.