What they say in Toronto about Pittsburgh moving.

loved1986

There are cities besides toronto?

Isn't this just smoke and mirrors from the Magnificent One to drum up public support for a new arena so that city council might bend and put up some bucks for a new arena? He's done this before and now has a bit more leverage since they're selling more tickets.

I actually listened to this on the Fan590 this morning. Toronto a hockey town.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ya right. Leaf town all the way and only Leafs. Good tickets to Marlies is ~$60 bones. To see a sick baby leaf team, no thanks most people say in Toronto.

It would be funny to see a team move to T-DOT and win a cup. Hahahahhaha Loser Leaf fans and media......

That would be amazing.

If the Pens moved to Toronto and won the cup that would be amazing, I would laugh for hours.

Anyways I think if the Pens go anywhere it will be Kansas City, which is too bad because Winnipeg deserves a hockey team either them or if Quebec City is willing to pony up the dough for new rink.

Well, after Iraq Quebec City and Winnepeg are solid choices. Kansas City is stupid. They complain about nobody caring about hockey in Florida, Nashville, Dallas et al and then move a Northern team to the desert.

Some of the possible NHL cities that people have been discussing for years is Kansas City and Winsconcin.

By the way for your interests:

The Kansas City Scouts were a National Hockey League (NHL) expansion team that began operations in 1974, after the city was awarded a franchise on June 8, 1972. The first choice for a nickname was the MO-Hawks, an attempt to appeal to both the state of Kansas and the state of Missouri by playing off the Jayhawk name and incorporating Missouri's postal abbreviation, but the name was vetoed by the Chicago Blackhawks. The second choice, the Scouts, was taken.

They played their home games at Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Missouri. The team was not a particular success either at the gate or on the ice, failing even to lead the league in losses (a distinction that went to the Washington Capitals, a fellow expansion team). Scout Steve Durbano did lead the league in penalty minutes during the 1975-76 season, however. For a time in late 1975, the team looked like it could actually make the playoffs -- after a 3-1 win over California December 28 they stood just one point behind St. Louis in the weak Smythe Divison -- but hopes were dashed when the Scouts could win only one of their remaining 44 games (1-35-8). Efforts by management to save the franchise by selling 8,000 season tickets failed, and the club only sold 2,000.

After two seasons, with its owners $900,000 in debt, the team left to be come the Colorado Rockies, who in turn became the New Jersey Devils after 1982. The Scouts were the first NHL team since the 1934-35 NHL season to relocate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Scouts

Caught some glimpses of a nearly empty ricola centre on SN. Of course the marlies lost and played pathetic but where are the supposed hockey fans of this heavily populated city? I'll continue to say until proven wrong, leaf fans are not hockey fans, jut leaf fans.

Good choices IMO would be in Seattle or Oklahoma City. I've always though Seattle deserved a team and the Blazers are insanely successful down there.

"The current incarnation of the Blazers came into being in 1992 with the revival of the CHL, and has been one of the most successful minor league hockey franchises of all time, routinely drawing 8,000 fans or more and even matching a couple National Hockey League clubs for seasonal attendance over the years"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Blazers

But of course, I'd love to see a team in Winnipeg but I really don't think that will happen.

[Edited on 2005/12/12 by jetsniper]

Portland is where this team should go. If this team has to re locate to an American City Portland is the only choice. Hockey is almost the #1 sport there.

The Portland Pirates sell over 4000 tickets per game, which is 2000 less than a sell out.

Although this number is not spectacular very few AHL teams come close to sellouts.

I have met a few people from Portland that have told me themselves that if Portland were to get an NHL franchise especially one with History (2 Cup Penguins) for example that season tickets would fly off the shelves. That is just my two cents.

Originally posted by JMMR

Portland is where this team should go. If this team has to re locate to an American City Portland is the only choice. Hockey is almost the #1 sport there.

The Portland Pirates sell over 4000 tickets per game, which is 2000 less than a sell out.

Although this number is not spectacular very few AHL teams come close to sellouts.

I have met a few people from Portland that have told me themselves that if Portland were to get an NHL franchise especially one with History (2 Cup Penguins) for example that season tickets would fly off the shelves. That is just my two cents.

Oregon, not Maine.

Oh yes sorry I thought the Pirates played in Oregon not Maine. I am sorry about that error.

So to clarify I think Portland Oregon would be a good places for the pens if they have to move.

But I heard John Davidson say that a new government is sworn in January 1st in the city of Pittsburgh.

Toronto doesn't support any hockey other then the leaf.

Winnipeg built a new arena, while it's small, they still would sellout every game and have stronger attendance then the teams in the south.

Of course, it'll likley go to yet another American city. Where the fans will go for 20 games then neglect it, alla Carolina, Atlanta, Florida teams, all those other fruity non-hockey markets.

Originally posted by ~moeman
Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Toronto doesn't support any hockey other then the leaf.

Yup. Hamilton is hooped. BTW, anyone have attendance figures from the marlies? Didn't think so.

I would bet that the average attendance so far this season for the Marlies is a lot lower than it was during the last season down here in St. John's when it was a lame duck and we still had Wellwood making highlight plays on a regular basis. Better for development my ass. The worst thing they ever did was move from the Eastern Conference to the Western Conference.