May 1, Senators @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

full.jpg

"Look at this cake for example! Now I wrap it up in my vomit bag, I take it back to the hotel, put it on ice, and in the morning... voila! Breakfast! Conservation, Henry. Managing resources. That is the key!"

Injury trouble and very few days off from now til the 12th will test the Habs down the stretch. We'll see if Kulak, Primeau, and another forward draw in to give more Habs the rest they seem to need right now.

Lineup TBD.

A win of any kind or an extra-time loss eliminates the Senators from playoff contention. Looking for help from Edmonton and Toronto as well. Mostly Edmonton.

Wonderful news about Armia. I was really worried about him, just on a human level. If he’d been concussed that would probably be a huge flashing red light on his career.

It’s irrational I know, but I find myself almost relieved that Weber isn’t in the lineup. I’ve been so tired of watching him lumber around all season as a ghost of himself.

So, we play the Sens. Guaranteed Loss Night, am I right?

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wonderful news about Armia. I was really worried about him, just on a human level. If he’d been concussed that would probably be a huge flashing red light on his career.

It’s irrational I know, but I find myself almost relieved that Weber isn’t in the lineup. I’ve been so tired of watching him lumber around all season as a ghost of himself.

Guaranteed win because Weber is out. No more passing Weber the puck obsessively and no more intercepted breakout passes. 

and Caufield is gonna score 💰

• Like 1

You guys should be careful what you wish for.

Regardless of how you feel, I tend to believe that the Habs are better off in the playoffs with Price than Allen, as well as Weber over Chiarot playing on the right side, all of a sudden.

Romanov isn’t exactly an upgrade on Weber on the PP, either. And I’m not even going to say Caufield is right this minute, even though I am extremely high on him. Weber is a power play legend when it comes to scoring goals. 10th all time for goals on thr power play by a defenseman, and 5 behind Brian Leetch for 9th.

Third this year, by the way.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20202021&seasonTo=20202021&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppGoals&page=0&pageSize=50

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Regardless of how you feel, I tend to believe that the Habs are better off in the playoffs with Price than Allen, as well as Weber over Chiarot playing on the right side, all of a sudden.

Romanov isn’t exactly an upgrade on Weber on the PP, either. And I’m not even going to say Caufield is right this minute, even though I am extremely high on him. Weber is a power play legend when it comes to scoring goals. 10th all time for goals on thr power play by a defenseman, and 5 behind Brian Leetch for 9th.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20202021&seasonTo=20202021&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppGoals&page=0&pageSize=50

True ... tied for 3rd amongst defencemen ... with Petry, Gostisbehere and Barrie ... although Weber (5.8) and Barrie (5.7) well behind Gostisbehere (9.9) and Petry (9.3) in PP shooting percentage ... the link made me curious (boys & toys) so I sorted by S% based on at least 50 shots and Weber tied for 48th amongst defencemen ... also, including forwards, he tied for 48th in goals and 330th in shooting percentage ... the latter with Phil Danault (was actually surprised to find Danault had 69 shots, although that is 13th on the Habs) ... 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Guaranteed win because Weber is out. No more passing Weber the puck obsessively and no more intercepted breakout passes. 

and Caufield is gonna score 💰

26 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I feel you both have validity to your feelings.  Weber, when up to snuff, is of course an asset and we have to hope he can get back to that level in time for the playoffs.  However, the argument can be made that Weber has cost us more goals than he has prevented/scored over the past month or so...he's been awful.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What? I thought they were done with the blue sweaters by now!

33 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I feel you both have validity to your feelings.  Weber, when up to snuff, is of course an asset and we have to hope he can get back to that level in time for the playoffs.  However, the argument can be made that Weber has cost us more goals than he has prevented/scored over the past month or so...he's been awful.

Upper body (shoulder?) injury, which has really shown in his shooting ability, and surely has also affected the rest of his play. He should likely have been taken out of the lineup earlier.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was worried too because having issues with multiple concussions inst just a career issue it can easily be a life long problem. 

How long has Weber been injured?  Is that really the explanation for his decline this year?

Ironically, I was going to suggest they sit him and tell him that its to rest him for the playoffs when the real reason would be its so they can make the playoffs. 

I'm sorta surprised that Gustafsson is out because it would make sense to play him when they're playing a weaker team.  However, the Sens have been a thorn in the Habs side this year so maybe it is better to sit him. 

If Caufield doesn't score tonight is it possible for somebody to win the Hobey Baker 2 years in a row?  Just curious. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Petry seems to find a another gear, sans Weber, as well. Kind of like how Kovalev always stepped up when koivu was out.

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

Petry seems to find a another gear, sans Weber, as well. Kind of like how Kovalev always stepped up when koivu was out.

I like it! Petry - Weber is the new Kovalev-Koivu.  Shame that neither is Russian.

24 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I was worried too because having issues with multiple concussions inst just a career issue it can easily be a life long problem. 

How long has Weber been injured?  Is that really the explanation for his decline this year?

Ironically, I was going to suggest they sit him and tell him that its to rest him for the playoffs when the real reason would be its so they can make the playoffs. 

I'm sorta surprised that Gustafsson is out because it would make sense to play him when they're playing a weaker team.  However, the Sens have been a thorn in the Habs side this year so maybe it is better to sit him. 

If Caufield doesn't score tonight is it possible for somebody to win the Hobey Baker 2 years in a row?  Just curious. 

Are I’m asking if Caufield can win again next year? If so, his college career is done now that he’s signed a pro contract.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Are I’m asking if Caufield can win again next year? If so, his college career is done now that he’s signed a pro contract.

My comment was more to do with the Sens being weak and Caufield being able to score at the ahl level so he better score tonight. 

However, my comment was also related to how the Habs suck at drafting 1st rounders.  The Habs seem to take their 1st rnd picks and have them play AHL until they are capable of playing defensively.  Then we get to debate why all the Habs 1st rnd picks turn into 4th liners. 

I'd rather see him go back to College than see that happen, but I guess that isnt possible now that he's signed a pro contract. 

25 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Petry might find another gear, but I certainly disagree with Weber.  My 1st thought when the Subban trade happened was Weber's albatross contract.  However, my 2d though was questioning if he is a Thorton.  I consider Weber to be a Thorton until he proves otherwise and the truth is he has yet to prove that he isn't. 

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

My comment was more to do with the Sens being weak and Caufield being able to score at the ahl level so he better score tonight. 

However, my comment was also related to how the Habs suck at drafting 1st rounders.  The Habs seem to take their 1st rnd picks and have them play AHL until they are capable of playing defensively.  Then we get to debate why all the Habs 1st rnd picks turn into 4th liners. 

I'd rather see him go back to College than see that happen, but I guess that isnt possible now that he's signed a pro contract. 

Au contraire...the Habs threw Caufield, KK, and Galchenyuk into the NHL with basically zero seasoning. Disastrous results in one case, apparently middling results with KK, and results still unknown with Caufield. It worked great with Gallagher. The same treatment almost ruined Price’s tenure with us. (They also did this with Ribeiro and Fatendresse, also unsuccessfully). 

Having prospects learn how to play the game at the AHL level does not turn them into “4th rounders” - lack of talent does. What it does do is allow them to mature mentally and emotionally in a relatively low-pressure setting and learn how to be the kind of well-rounded players that they will be forced to become in any case. If we were a really strong team, we would *not* be throwing guys in at age 19 unless they were absolute can’t-miss stars. And we never, ever draft absolute can’t-miss stars, so forget that.

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Petry might find another gear, but I certainly disagree with Weber.  My 1st thought when the Subban trade happened was Weber's albatross contract.  However, my 2d though was questioning if he is a Thorton.  I consider Weber to be a Thorton until he proves otherwise and the truth is he has yet to prove that he isn't. 

Weber is not a Thornton. He has sucked all season and looked exactly like the old man he is. Wishful thinking, my friend.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weber is not a Thornton. He has sucked all season and looked exactly like the old man he is. Wishful thinking, my friend.

This is Habs forum so I automatically assumed that everybody would understand what I mean by Thorton.  🤣

Weber is a Thorton, make no mistake about it.

i.e. Thorton was 1 of the best F in the NHL, and lead Bos to President Trophy seasons, however they got knocked out 1st rnd by 8th place Habs.   Thorton was absent in the big games in those series.  That happened so many times the Bruins shipped 1 of the top guys in the NHL to the Sharks.  The Sharks were also a top team, but they never really go anywhere in the playoffs either.

Now think about Weber, because its the identical scenario with him being a top dman and Nashvilles playoff results.  i.e. really good reg season team that falters in the playoffs because 1 of their top guys wasn't getting it done.  Last year vs Philly I said the d needed to score, that comment was referring to Weber, he didnt score, and the Habs didnt win. 

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am rally happy that the Habs pulled him out of the lineup.

We need a healthy Weber in the playoffs. There are enough defensively responsible defenders capable of filling in for a week or so.

Go Habs Go!