May 1, Senators @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

May some know the answer to this question. If you have a UFA (ie. Tatar or Doug Hamilton) and an expansion team takes him, does the expansion team have a certain time period whey they are the only team that can sign him or is it a complete waste for an expansion team to pick a player who is a UFA? 

They get like 2 days before the draft to try and sign him, if they sign him, he becomes their draft pick from that team. 

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Even if he wanted to move them, it wouldn't be that simple. Those are big contracts to move and they are not good value right now. 

Not really Montreal would have to eat some of their contract 

So for Weber his contract is 7.857mil over then next 6 years. So if we ate 2.857mil of it 5mil a year for Weber looks pretty good to teams then 7.85mil.

This is why I said do a full rebuild and trade these guys, then doing a retool and keeping these guys 4 years ago.  Both their vaule were a lot higher 4 years ago. Now you're ready to try and contend for the playoffs and their older and slower.  Their vaule isn't that high because of their contracts and play.  But like I said if we do trade them were going to have to eat a lot of their contracts. 

41 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not really Montreal would have to eat some of their contract 

So for Weber his contract is 7.857mil over then next 6 years. So if we ate 2.857mil of it 5mil a year for Weber looks pretty good to teams then 7.85mil.

This is why I said do a full rebuild and trade these guys, then doing a retool and keeping these guys 4 years ago.  Both their vaule were a lot higher 4 years ago. Now you're ready to try and contend for the playoffs and their older and slower.  Their vaule isn't that high because of their contracts and play.  But like I said if we do trade them were going to have to eat a lot of their contracts. 

I don’t think we have to eat part of Webers contract to move him. First, I really think Seattle would pick him we expose him. He has no trade protection, so we could move him anywhere. With his declining actual salary, I would think we could move him to a floor team that needs the cap hit. If we can’t move him and he sucks much worse, I would think he would retire, rather than play for the low actual salary. 

I don’t think we need to do a full rebuild. I do think we need to rebuild our D and try to rid ourselves of Weber’s and Price’s salary (Weber will be easier to move for the reasons stated above). I think Seattle MAY be a legit opportunity to get Price to waive. With the number of goalies that will be exposed, should have an opportunity to pick up a potential new #1.

we let Danault walk unless he takes a cut. Same with Tatar.

I like the age mix of our forwards. Get two new quality  dmen. If we move Price, a new #1. 

who knows, maybe Eichal is available and we can get a legit #1 centre. 

so this is more of a rebuild on the fly, than going the traditional year down Toronto route. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think we have to eat part of Webers contract to move him. First, I really think Seattle would pick him we expose him. He has no trade protection, so we could move him anywhere. With his declining actual salary, I would think we could move him to a floor team that needs the cap hit. If we can’t move him and he sucks much worse, I would think he would retire, rather than play for the low actual salary. 

I don’t think we need to do a full rebuild. I do think we need to rebuild our D and try to rid ourselves of Weber’s and Price’s salary (Weber will be easier to move for the reasons stated above). I think Seattle MAY be a legit opportunity to get Price to waive. With the number of goalies that will be exposed, should have an opportunity to pick up a potential new #1.

we let Danault walk unless he takes a cut. Same with Tatar.

I like the age mix of our forwards. Get two new quality  dmen. If we move Price, a new #1. 

who knows, maybe Eichal is available and we can get a legit #1 centre. 

so this is more of a rebuild on the fly, than going the traditional year down Toronto route. 

I agree about rebuilding the D, if Suzuki and KK develop the way we hope then the forward group is pretty close.  That's an "if".  We do need more mobility on the back end. 

Count me “in” to Habs29’s plan. 👍 It’s basically a “retool” model with a focus on the D. That MB reconstructed the forward core overnight improves my optimism that this can be feasibly done - although it’ll take some pretty deft maneuvering. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Count me “in” to Habs29’s plan. 👍 It’s basically a “retool” model with a focus on the D. That MB reconstructed the forward core overnight improves my optimism that this can be feasibly done - although it’ll take some pretty deft maneuvering. 

I am cautiously optimistic he could pull it off, but there are so many things that need to go right for MB... the first being to salvage his job

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The problem is that if we as fans can see Weber's decline and can see that he's not worth the cap hit... why are other team's scouting depts missing it?  I don't think Weber is moveable without retaining salary or taking back other contracts that are just as bad. 

And yeah, acquiring Eichel would be great, but is Buffalo trading him to a team in their division (the divisions will be back to normal) and what is the cost. 

Sure using Weber's cap hit to get Eichel would be fantastic, but I just don't see it as a feasible move. 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The problem is that if we as fans can see Weber's decline and can see that he's not worth the cap hit... why are other team's scouting depts missing it?  I don't think Weber is moveable without retaining salary or taking back other contracts that are just as bad. 

And yeah, acquiring Eichel would be great, but is Buffalo trading him to a team in their division (the divisions will be back to normal) and what is the cost. 

Sure using Weber's cap hit to get Eichel would be fantastic, but I just don't see it as a feasible move. 

Our management misses Weber’s decline, evidenced by his usage so I’m sure there are others that miss the forest for the trees. 

GIANT MAN WITH LEGENDARY LEADERSHIP 

Habs squandered Weber’s and Price’s careers. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

... I don't think Weber is moveable without retaining salary or taking back other contracts that are just as bad ...

Assuming he is to be moved, and Seattle won't select him ... after next season it would certainly be easier to trade Weber ... his real dollar salary drops to $3 million, and then three years at $1 million (not that I am certain he plays the last three, maybe not the four) ... taking back a $2-3 million contract for one year might work if the a cap-floor/budget conscious team needs/wants to take on Weber's cap dollars ... if necessary the "new" contract could be moved, retaining up to 50%, with minimal-ish cap impact compared to Weber's contract.