May 3, Leafs @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find it weird that Mathews has so few assists for supposedly such a great centreman. It's not like he doesn't have great wingers. McDavid has 34 more assists, that's a staggering difference. Even Nick has as many now. Does Mathews make players around him better or is he just a great shooter? 

Well ... admittedly Toffoli only has 13 assists (Matthews has 24)

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The guy is a scoring machine, the best since Ovechkin. I’ll take him on my team, thanks - even with the idiotic ‘stache and the punk attitude.

Not saying I wouldn't take him, of course I would. He is a great shooter. Just find it strange that a great centreman with a winger like Marner doesn't have more assists.  There are many centres in the NHL with way more assists. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not saying I wouldn't take him, of course I would. He is a great shooter. Just find it strange that a great centreman with a winger like Marner doesn't have more assists.  There are many centres in the NHL with way more assists. 

His shooting percentage is almost identical to Toffoli. But he has about 20% more ice time per game, and he shoots about 10% more per 60 minutes.

Toffoli is capable of 50+ per season as well, if we can have linemates that give him the opportunities. Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Anderson, maybe Ylonen?

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

His shooting percentage is almost identical to Toffoli. But he has about 20% more ice time per game, and he shoots about 10% more per 60 minutes.

Toffoli is capable of 50+ per season as well, if we can have linemates that give him the opportunities. Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Anderson, maybe Ylonen?

Toffoli is either having a career year or he is a late-bloomer (like Petry). I hope the latter but suspect the former. He’s a quality player regardless, but don’t pencil him for 40+ goals per season just yet.

As for Matthews, it is indeed unusual for a C to have more goals than assists. Ryan Kelser was the same way some years. I doubt his linemates are complaining.

OT started hilariously with us just killing a whole minute to keep the puck from Marner and Matthews. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Marner is the assist man and Matthews is the trigger man.  Marner still has 19 goals so he's doing fine.  They're at 3 and 4 in points overall in the league so I'm not sure what you're trying to nitpick.  

@Habs Fan in Edmonton makes a great point about Mathews.  He doesn't seem to be much a play maker, he's primarily a finisher.  However, he is an elite finisher. 

In my opinion what really makes him special, and I view Caufield in the same way; is that they both have numerous shots that are top 10 or 20 in the NHL.  A lot of top scorers have 1 shot that is in the top 10 or 20.  However, there is a big drop off in the # of players that have more than 1 shot, and especially 3+ shots that are in the top 10 or 20. 

Toffoli might even be in that category too because he's coring tons and it isnt from the same shot. 

Toffoli is either having a career year or he is a late-bloomer (like Petry). I hope the latter but suspect the former. He’s a quality player regardless, but don’t pencil him for 40+ goals per season just yet.

As for Matthews, it is indeed unusual for a C to have more goals than assists. Ryan Kelser was the same way some years. I doubt his linemates are complaining.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that maybe Mathews isn't the great all around player some Leaf fans make him out to be.  They were talking MVP earlier in the year.  A great shooter?  Absolutely no question about it. There is no better shooter right now. 

Just now, Sir_Boagalott said:

@Habs Fan in Edmonton makes a great point about Mathews.  He doesn't seem to be much a play maker, he's primarily a finisher.  However, he is an elite finisher. 

In my opinion what really makes him special, and I view Caufield in the same way; is that they both have numerous shots that are top 10 or 20 in the NHL.  A lot of top scorers have 1 shot that is in the top 10 or 20.  However, there is a big drop off in the # of players that have more than 1 shot, and especially 3+ shots that are in the top 10 or 20. 

Toffoli might even be in that category too because he's coring tons and it isnt from the same shot. 

Interesting point, but can we wait a few games before putting CC in the same category as Matthews, please?

• Like 1

Interesting point, but can we wait a few games before putting CC in the same category as Matthews, please?

If you didnt like that comparison, then you certainly wont like this 1 either:  Gretzky, and why he so special.  All of his shots were top 5, and if not top 10. 

Then think about Crosby, where would you rate his shots?  He scores in a ton of ways too, and with the exception of his backhand (which is probably top 5), I don't consider most of his shots to be top 10 or 20.  However, all of his shots are top 30 or 40 though. 

Players with elite shooting skills in multiple shots are very rare and they are all extremely special players. 

Wow, another one where I was ready to tell my Dad not to watch in the morning. I'll be honest - I wrote this team off last week and was prepared to see them tumble out of the playoffs. The only downside tonight is that I have Campbell in a league, haha.

That being said, I hate the PP lines. All five righties on the top unit? Steal on the 2nd unit? Playing Kotkianiemi on the left and Caufield on the right? Why on earth take away the one-timer from the wings? It makes no sense to me.

Now, let's talk Cole Caufield... There is definitely an "it" factor with this kid. I'm not trying to say he is going to be an Ovechkin-like scorer, but it seems like he loves scoring goals just like Ivy, and nobody loves scoring goals more than Ovy. 

I'll note here that Gretzky in his prime could score on roughly 20% of his shots, similar to Matthews -- and to Lafleur and Shutt. Of course, having linemates who can give you passes helps, too.

But Ovechkin and Crosby, for example, never shot at that level. Dominant players, to be sure, but neither was dominant because of a particularly lethal shot, they were (are) more multi-dimensional.

caught up on my PVR to just before the overtime. Saw Caufield score the winner and just couldn't believe it. Awesome goal

Danault said this about Caufield: "Il est petit, mais il [est fait?] pour les grand moments", inenglish he repeated caufield = big moment... which makes me think that it may be a good nick name to call him Cole "Big Time" Caufield

Romanov didn't ahve a good game, played less minutes than usual.

Evans played another great game, 

Allen kept us close and made the win possible,

Danault was really good against Matthews,

Suzuki and Toffoli have chemistry,

Andersson is playing like Armia

and Chiarot played like a true top-4 D regardless of who was playing with him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Playing Kotkianiemi on the left and Caufield on the right? Why on earth take away the one-timer from the wings? It makes no sense to me.

Exactly.  It drives me crazy to see Caufield play on the right side.  It really makes no sense because he can attempt way more 1 timers on the left side. 

When Gally, Tatar and Drouin come back, who sits?  Frolik obviously, but I say Staal and keep Drouin out as well.  Unfortunately, it'll probably be some of the kids taking a seat instead.  I wonder if KK is a winger from here on out.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

When Gally, Tatar and Drouin come back, who sits?  Frolik obviously, but I say Staal and keep Drouin out as well.  Unfortunately, it'll probably be some of the kids taking a seat instead.  I wonder if KK is a winger from here on out.

In the regular season it's Frolik, Evans, and Caufield (because they are the emergency recalls.)

In the playoffs... Lehkonen?

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

You just noticed that now?  He is pretty good about jabbering on about nothing of importance and filling in time but in terms of saying something meaningful, I can't remember seeing that happen.

Let me rephrase: I noticed before but I am just now really starting to care. Waste of air time. 

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Prime Jeff Carter is a good example also.

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Exactly.  It drives me crazy to see Caufield play on the right side.  It really makes no sense because he can attempt way more 1 timers on the left side. 

That snipe from his side the first beat Campbell. Just not the post.

Scoring is more about quantity of shots than quality. 

Quality helps, its maybe 25% of the equation.

But goalies are so good that even when you have Ovechkin's shot, he is also leading the league in shots nearly every year.  Goalies are good now and still stop 500 Ovechkin shots per year.   Matthews is at the top of the league in shots too. 

Caufield has been a high volume shooter at every level so thats a good sign. 

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

caught up on my PVR to just before the overtime. Saw Caufield score the winner and just couldn't believe it. Awesome goal

Danault said this about Caufield: "Il est petit, mais il [est fait?] pour les grand moments", inenglish he repeated caufield = big moment... which makes me think that it may be a good nick name to call him Cole "Big Time" Caufield

Romanov didn't ahve a good game, played less minutes than usual.

Evans played another great game, 

Allen kept us close and made the win possible,

Danault was really good against Matthews,

Suzuki and Toffoli have chemistry,

Andersson is playing like Armia

and Chiarot played like a true top-4 D regardless of who was playing with him

The kid’s nickname is Bilbo and so it should remain. One of the only good nicknames to appear in modern hockey

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Matthews is creating his own chances more than Toffoli is though.  Its not just about getting Toffoli better linemates, Matthews is a great player, and he's better than Toffoli.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find it weird that Mathews has so few assists for supposedly such a great centreman. It's not like he doesn't have great wingers. McDavid has 34 more assists, that's a staggering difference. Even Nick has as many now. Does Mathews make players around him better or is he just a great shooter? 

I don’t mind a centre with a shoot first mentality. You expect a centre to have more puck possession and he does that.  Also keep in mind that he is playing with a playmaking winger. I’d rather have a centre who is shooting, rather than have two guys who have a pass first mentality. Everyone loves Stall, and I’m pretty sure that he’s had a few seasons where he scored more goals than assists.

If you had the choice, who would you rather have Suzuki, or Matthews?  As it is, it’s nice to see Suzuki get more points tonight👍

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I love Taffoli- beat habs scorer since Maxpac, but he isn’t someone who is going to take over a game by himself the way Matthews can.