May 3, Leafs @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Had nothing to do with them playing together or apart.

The numbers show that Merrill-Romanov actually played more minutes and were much worse than Merrill-Kulak

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

For comparison

Edmundson Chiarot spent 5:06 together and were pinned in their own end the entire time.  0% xG (not a single scoring chance for with them together).

Chiarot - Romanov spent 3:04 together and were 54.8%

Edmundson Petry 14:37 and just 24.2%

Every other pair spent less than 1:30 together so results don't tell us much.

so the stats seem to suggest that Chairot - Kulak was the best pairing last night, considering the difference was only 0.1% and they played four more minutes of ice time than Chiarot-Romanov. 

Also as usual, every partner was better with Kulak than without him. 

Kulak is a top 4 D, i will die on this hill and don't be surprised if Seattle with their strong advanced stats management group takes him, and not allen.

Not sure if Kulak will become a legit top 4, he will if he can translate his advanced stats into actual points - something the habs need from their dmen. In any event I’d protect him over Weber and hope that Seattle takes Weber’s salary.

Friedman made a good argument today that that Seattle may try and draft a roster close to the lower limit to weaponize their cap space (in which case they could worry well draft Kulak if he is available over Allen).  But I think they can still weaponize their cap space by picking Weber and trading him, while retaining half of his cap hit.  That may actually allow them to get a greater return in picks/prospects.  Weber for around $3.8M would probably be appealing to teams going for it.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure if Kulak will become a legit top 4, he will if he can translate his advanced stats into actual points - something the habs need from their dmen. In any event I’d protect him over Weber and hope that Seattle takes Weber’s salary.

Friedman made a good argument today that that Seattle may try and draft a roster close to the lower limit to weaponize their cap space (in which case they could worry well draft Kulak if he is available over Allen).  But I think they can still weaponize their cap space by picking Weber and trading him, while retaining half of his cap hit.  That may actually allow them to get a greater return in picks/prospects.  Weber for around $3.8M would probably be appealing to teams going for it.

It’s a nice scenario. But I notice that we hardly ever see these kinds of clever 2-3 step moves actually happen. They’re generally fan scenarios, a bit like the old “we can trade this overpaid guy to a team that needs to make the cap floor” fantasy.

As for Kulak, I suspect Seattle will take him and that he’ll do well. I don’t understand our coaching staff’s determination to treat him as a borderline case.

How much would you pay the Kraken for a deal where they accept to draft Weber and trade him back to the Habs + retain part of his salary ?  :D

But  Bergevin will never even think about exposing Weber.

20 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

How much would you pay the Kraken for a deal where they accept to draft Weber and trade him back to the Habs + retain part of his salary ?  :D

But  Bergevin will never even think about exposing Weber.

Can't see anything in the rules against it, but just doesn't seem like the kind of thing the NHL would allow.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s a nice scenario. But I notice that we hardly ever see these kinds of clever 2-3 step moves actually happen. They’re generally fan scenarios, a bit like the old “we can trade this overpaid guy to a team that needs to make the cap floor” fantasy.

As for Kulak, I suspect Seattle will take him and that he’ll do well. I don’t understand our coaching staff’s determination to treat him as a borderline case.

TBL did that this year, with Yzerman brokering the deal. I think the Duschane and Karlsson trades were similar. So it does happen. You do need a sharp GM though 😉

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Can't see anything in the rules, but just doesn't seem like the kind of thing the NHL would allow.

I thought they was a year limit for those types of moves, like there is with buyouts.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Can't see anything in the rules against it, but just doesn't seem like the kind of thing the NHL would allow.

The NHL is allowing 3 way trades where teams take on salary to faciltate trade deadline moves.  Can't see how they say no to this. 

That said, its going to be expensive due to the number of years left on Weber's contract. 

If Marleau for 1 year at 6 million cost a 1st round pick, imagine what multiple years of ~3.8 million cap hit on Weber will cost. 

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I thought they was a year limit for those types of moves.

The Kraken cannot buy out any players they select until after the 2021-22 season ... but rules seem to be silent on trade-backs

There is a limit in that you can only have 3 retained salaries on your books at any one time. 

But there is no year limit.

The Leafs still have part of Kessel's contract on the books and that was like 7 years.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The Kraken cannot buy out any players they select until after the 2021-22 season ... but rules seem to be silent on trade-backs

I meant that I would have thought that a deal like that (kraken select Weber and trade him back to us fir lower cap hit, would be treated the same way as when a team buys out a player, they can’t than resign the player for the same season.  Not sure if there any restrictions like that for the Kraken, but it sounds like the same end result.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

which makes me think that it may be a good nick name to call him Cole "Big Time" Caufield

I think that is a silly nickname. 

Am I really the only 1 who thinks his nickname should be Cauliflower?  as in Caulafleur. 

I thought that even before Caufield's 1st game when the team hid his helmet as a prank so he had to go out on the ice with out it.  When he was skating around without his helmet with his fairly long hair he certainly looked like Guy out there. 

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

Kulak is a top 4 D, i will die on this hill and don't be surprised if Seattle with their strong advanced stats management group takes him, and not allen.

I definitely prefer Kulak over Chiarot too, but my primary reason is this:  during the play-ins how many goals did a shooter bank into the Habs net off of Kulak?  The answer is 0.  However, the answer to that question with Chiarot is higher than 0. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Am I really the only 1 who thinks his nickname should be Cauliflower?  as in Caulafleur. 

I thought that even before Caufield's 1st game when the team hid his helmet as a prank so he had to go out on the ice with out it.  When he was skating around without his helmet with his fairly long hair he certainly looked like Guy out there. 

I definitely prefer Kulak over Chiarot too, but my primary reason is this:  during the play-ins how many goals did a shooter bank into the Habs net off of Kulak?  The answer is 0.  However, the answer to that question with Chiarot is higher than 0. 

Cauliflower is clever👍

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I saw your posts about using Cauliflower. not my favourite vegetable 

I tried mini me and hobbit , I forget whom proposed Bilbo

well de 

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I meant that I would have thought that a deal like that (kraken select Weber and trade him back to us fir lower cap hit, would be treated the same way as when a team buys out a player, they can’t than resign the player for the same season.  Not sure if there any restrictions like that for the Kraken, but it sounds like the same end result.

I have a vague memory of there being a rule against players being traded directly back to the team they are selected from for one year.

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I saw your posts about using Cauliflower. not my favourite vegetable 

I tried mini me and hobbit , I forget whom proposed Bilbo

I'm not a big fan of that vegetable either, but that doesnt change that its a good name for him. 

Personally, even though I know that its a retired # I'd love to see him wear 10.  I'm not sure if a player of a retired # is allowed to grant a special exception and give somebody permission to use their old #.  If that is possible Caufield would be a great exception.

19 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I have a vague memory of there being a rule against players being traded directly back to the team they are selected from for one year.

Ya, I'm pretty sure that when Vegas had their draft there was a rule forbidding that.  However, it seems like they did away with that rule.  ex:  Emelin, Vegas drafted him from Habs, but Habs couldnt get him back, even though Vegas didn't want him and traded him to Nash.  

The Habs seemed to go to crap after they lost Emelin and he was only in Nash for 1 year so I was confused as to why the Habs didn't bring him back.  I'm not sure if they even tried to get him after Nash got rid of him. 

47 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Such a rule exists in terms of player for player trades but not for expansion purposes.  Teams can make a trade to get their guy back.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I put it together. I'm just a bug fan of bilbo. Having a bilbo and a tuna on the same team as pricer,  webs, galley, etc is pretty cool.

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

The team (well the players) started Bilbo.

Indeed. Why are we acting like it's up to us? His peers gave it to him, it's an awesome nickname, let's hope it sticks!

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Indeed. Why are we acting like it's up to us? His peers gave it to him, it's an awesome nickname, let's hope it sticks!

Especially after PM Koivu coined "bilbo bag one." I mean come on!