May 6 Habs at Leafs 7:00

Should Ducharme be head coach next season?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Ducharme earned a contract?

• Yes
    • No

Primeau weakness is rebound control so they say since he was up from university. What did the goalie coach and player development did to take care of that is mind blowing. Toronto read the report shot and went for the juicy rebounds. 

Need Price back in 2020 summer mode.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

From what I’ve read and is well advertised the team cannot simply shuffle players on and off the roster Willy nilly as you describe.

rules and all.

As suggested by dlbair (I believe), Allen need only plead a minor injury to allow for the emergency call-up of Lindgren from the taxi squad ... Jake only played 24 games all last season ... he has already played 27 games this season ... and he has started or played in 15 of the last 18 games

Team continuous it’s “.500” slumbering slide into the playoffs

expecting anything more from the B-lineup only sets one up for disappointment and frustration 

I turned off the game after the 1st and missed Caufield’s goal. Happy for Bilbo 

Heard on radio this morning concerns about KK. For me, I’ll evaluate him in the playoffs; I am more worried about Danault’s injury and Anderson’s lack of scoring 

None of the latest loses can be blamed on Drouin, Price or Weber. Which means that with those players rested, there is hope to have a good run in the playoffs 

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Team continuous it’s “.500” slumbering slide into the playoffs ... None of the latest loses can be blamed on Drouin, Price or Weber. Which means that with those players rested, there is hope to have a good run in the playoffs 

With those players healthy they will be the same team that was more or less exactly where they are now when those players started going out ... there is always hope ... mostly riding on Price getting back in TOP form ... which despite some good additions is still what Habs fans have had to hope ever since Carey became the Habs #1 ... I don't see the Habs winning if Price has a .914 Sv% like Billington in 18/19, or Quick's .911 in 13/14 or the Hawks with Niemi's .911 in 09/10 ...IMO it will take closer to Thomas in 10/11 (.940), Quick in 11/12 (.946) or Murray in 16/17 (.937)

BTW ... my gut tells me Drouin won't back for the playoffs ... that would just ramp up the pressure on him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With those players healthy they will be the same team that was more or less exactly where they are now when those players started going out ... there is always hope ... mostly riding on Price getting back in TOP form ... which despite some good additions is still what Habs fans have had to hope ever since Carey became the Habs #1 ... I don't see the Habs winning if Price has a .914 Sv% like Billington in 18/19, or Quick's .911 in 13/14 or the Hawks with Niemi's .911 in 09/10 ...IMO it will take closer to Thomas in 10/11 (.940), Quick in 11/12 (.946) or Murray in 16/17 (.937)

BTW ... my gut tells me Drouin won't back for the playoffs ... that would just ramp up the pressure on him.

Here is an optimistic take on things. You look at this team, they have been consistently in a playoff spot all season. They have a lot of old guys and may well be highly playoff-directed. So, the motivation in the regular season drops off; their entire aim is to just survive the season until the games really matter. Even though this group has been pretty insipid since the first dozen games, they have yet to end up in any real trouble in the standings. Instead they come up with 1-2 big wins when they need them, then revert back to plodding mediocrity.

So, once the bell rings for the “real season,” we just might see the team hit another level - exactly like they did in the Bubble. 

I’m not saying it’s guaranteed. But my hope all along has been that LA Kings model will apply to this group. That may include Price, who would certainly have to be excellent, but may not have to be Superman if the D-corps around him suddenly looks stronger as a result of the refs putting the whistles away.

The true tale of this group will, therefore, be told in the playoffs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

@Commandant exactly, and thats what I said.   i.e. the Habs have 6 more OTL than all 3 of those teams.  That means in the event of a tie all 3 of those teams are guaranteed to have 3 more wins than the Habs.  If there is any tie its already known that the Habs would be 5th place. 

No they arent guaranteed to have 3 more Regulation wins... cause those wins might be OT/SO wins that dont count.

Only Regulation wins matter.

I'm cautiously optimistic that well-rested Price, Weber, and Gallagher returning will transform this team into one that can upset Toronto if they play the right way, with Caufield in the spot of that other guy that I think is gone for the season.

1 point gained by the Habs or 1 point lost by the Flames eliminates them.

2 points gained by the Habs means the Canucks need to win every game in regulation. 

3 points gained by the Habs or lost by the Canucks means that they are eliminated. 

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1 point gained by the Habs or 1 point lost by the Flames eliminates them.

2 points gained by the Habs means the Canucks need to win every game in regulation. 

3 points gained by the Habs or lost by the Canucks means that they are eliminated. 

Remember when so many of us thought the Habs might challenge for first?

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

No they arent guaranteed to have 3 more Regulation wins... cause those wins might be OT/SO wins that dont count.

Only Regulation wins matter.

My bad, you're correct. 

It likely wont matter anyway but even though the Flames are currently 10 points behind the Habs they are only 1 regulation win behind them. 

Hopefully the Nucks can win 1 of the games against the Flames and the Flames win 2 and they knock each other out. 

17 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Remember when so many of us thought the Habs might challenge for first?

I remember having the Habs finish 3rd in the division behind Toronto and Edmonton, and getting flamed on for it. 🙂

On 5/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, Easy Ryder said:

Primeau weakness is rebound control so they say since he was up from university. What did the goalie coach and player development did to take care of that is mind blowing. Toronto read the report shot and went for the juicy rebounds. 

Need Price back in 2020 summer mode.

Agreed, and he is overly aggressive in his movements which often leaves him out of position after the first save.

Figured it was jitters in his first game this year but does seem to be a trend. You’d think Sean Burke would have also noticed this and either corrected or removed him from play as it is a huge weakness. He is often swimming way out of the crease after initial shot.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:27 AM, GHT120 said:

As suggested by dlbair (I believe), Allen need only plead a minor injury to allow for the emergency call-up of Lindgren from the taxi squad ... Jake only played 24 games all last season ... he has already played 27 games this season ... and he has started or played in 15 of the last 18 games

Yeah, so ask a highly competitive  professional athlete who is literally playing for his career and millions in earnings to lie and step away from action? He is not Ovie, he is trying to solidify himself, earn his next contract, starters job and all of these players are former champions with a ton of self respect.

To ask a professional athlete to create an injury so he can hand the net to someone competing for one of the elusive NHL goalie jobs is not only unscrupulous and shady, but also contradicts everything a professional athlete has been raised on.  Poor roster management is on mgmt not the backup goalie who has done nothing but deliver on expectations.   That’s a slippery slope, why not have KK be injured as well seeing as he has contributed next to nothing, or Staal, or (insert name here). They’re pros, playing for their livelihoods.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed on these points, good call

on the save percentages. Average/good numbers are not going to be enough with the pop gun offense.

51 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Yeah, so ask a highly competitive  professional athlete who is literally playing for his career and millions in earnings to lie and step away from action? He is not Ovie, he is trying to solidify himself, earn his next contract, starters job and all of these players are former champions with a ton of self respect.

To ask a professional athlete to create an injury so he can hand the net to someone competing for one of the elusive NHL goalie jobs is not only unscrupulous and shady, but also contradicts everything a professional athlete has been raised on.  Poor roster management is on mgmt not the backup goalie who has done nothing but deliver on expectations.   That’s a slippery slope, why not have KK be injured as well seeing as he has contributed next to nothing, or Staal, or (insert name here). They’re pros, playing for their livelihoods.

It's a rest day, something teams have given goalies routinely dating back decades; no one plays every minute of every game anymore.  All my suggestion was that the Habs say he has a right thumb contusion or some minor thing to trigger an emergency recall so that they can give him a night in the press box and not sitting as the backup.  This is something that teams have done this season to give the player the full rest and ensure that he won't be pressed into relief duty.  You do it on a game where Primeau is starting anyway so it's not Allen handing the net to someone competing for his job; it's a game where he's not scheduled to play.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Allen "literally playing for his career" (one night off isn't going to jeopardize anything when he gets nights off many times a season), his next contract (which he signed months ago), nor is it even asking him to lie - it's the team that would 'create' the injury; he wouldn't have to speak to the media about it.  While it technically is lying, it's also a common practice late in the season where minor nicks and bruises are called injuries to bypass regular recall rules.  The Habs engaged in this very thing late last year when players were getting 'injured' every game.  A lot of them were of the, let's say, extremely minor variety.  But the games were meaningless by then so they invented the injury since they were out of regular recalls.

Skaters play all 82 games.  Goalies don't so comparing giving a goalie a night off to a giving skater a night off is not the same situation.  Goalies get nights off throughout the season and Allen sitting in the press box for a game that he already isn't going to be playing with an (insert extremely minor something or another injury) is not going to affect his livelihood in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.

All I can say is that Allen was the signing that saved the season. We all knew he would help, but who knew he would be the Habs’ #1 for half the season? Without him it would have been 2016 all over again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

... You’d think Sean Burke would have also noticed this and either corrected or removed him from play as it is a huge weakness ...

At least rebounds mean you stopped a puck ... perhaps they feel the risk is greater with the other goalies of lesser talent ... at least the skaters have a chance to control/clear rebounds ... they can rarely stop pucks that get past the goalie.