May 8, Montreal vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

9 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

He got fired after talking about Kathryn Tappen's boobs and wanting to have a three way with her. And then he sued NBC because he said he was fired because he was straight, since Johnny Weir got away with risque commentary during the Olympics. I think at one point he also claimed his support of Trump got him fired. 

Thats all true.

I also felt that Roenick was entertaining as an NHL player in interviews but was terrible on tv.  I wasnt a fan.  TV is hard and it takes more than just being good in interviews as a player.

39 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Good point, and no she is not.

her and Cassie Campbell whatever are often handed key points to discuss on silver platters.

I don’t get the justification for having non NHL players commenting on NHL plays.

There is no shortage of ex players with personality and enough brains to entertain and educate the masses (Bieksa can so...) .

Does NFL have commentary from people who never played in the league? Does NBA have WNBA players become commentators? Do softball players become MLB commentators?  
This is why I start the game delayed and skip the BS chatter that is more cancel culture and Ron McLean talkin on like a senile fool than anything useful. Even player interviews are crap these days.

What league did chris berman play in?  One of the best commentators in baseball and football ever. Never played anywhere.

Bob costas too.

Dan Patrick.

So yes, the Nfl, mlb and nba have non-players doing commentary.

There are many more too.  You dont have to be an ex player to be good at commentary 

I like Bieksa but there are other ex-players who were terrible too.  See tie domi who lasted a couple weeks.

I’ll just put my cards on the table and say that it is a good thing to have some women’s voices in hockey and on the signature national broadcasts. Cassie Campbell and Jennifer B. were both pioneers of the women’s sport who played it at a high level for years. Neither is what I’d call a Grade-A analyst, but they are both better than many of the clowns and gasbags that have wasted those seats over the years, e.g., Glenn Healy. The entire culture of the NHL as a giant club for white hetero male “Good Canadian Boys” is tired, boring, and long past its best-by date anyhow as far as I’m concerned. Look at how the Good Old Boys sh*t all over PK Subban and you see the fundamental problem with the model. Hockey needs to be diverse because Canada and all of North America are diverse. Otherwise the sport will slowly die.

As for Ron MacLean, yeah - a legend who did some good things over the years and, believe it or not, represented a voice of fresh air when he first showed up (which I fear I’m old enough to remember). I don’t really mind him but agree that he is stale. Hrudey is a likeable guy and a capable commentator - not sure why folks would crap on him. Skin colour aside, Anthony Stewart is a doofus, much closer to the poor quality of the earlier iterations of the broadcast, but his repartee with Bieksa (who routinely smokes him) has its moments.

Frankly, I am really enjoying having worthwhile first intermissions after decades of Grapes’ antediluvian jabbering. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT.

One of the very best commentators, especially on radio, is Ray Ferraro. It’s a pity he’s over at TSN. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ll just put my cards on the table and say that it is a good thing to have some women’s voices in hockey and on the signature national broadcasts. Cassie Campbell and Jennifer B. were both pioneers of the women’s sport who played it at a high level for years. Neither is what I’d call a Grade-A analyst, but they are both better than many of the clowns and gasbags that have wasted those seats over the years, e.g., Glenn Healy. The entire culture of the NHL as a giant club for white hetero male “Good Canadian Boys” is tired, boring, and long past its best-by date anyhow as far as I’m concerned. Look at how the Good Old Boys sh*t all over PK Subban and you see the fundamental problem with the model. Hockey needs to be diverse because Canada and all of North America are diverse. Otherwise the sport will slowly die.

As for Ron MacLean, yeah - a legend who did some good things over the years and, believe it or not, represented a voice of fresh air when he first showed up (which I fear I’m old enough to remember). I don’t really mind him but agree that he is stale. Hrudey is a likeable guy and a capable commentator - not sure why folks would crap on him. Skin colour aside, Anthony Stewart is a doofus, much closer to the poor quality of the earlier iterations of the broadcast, but his repartee with Bieksa (who routinely smokes him) has its moments.

Frankly, I am really enjoying having worthwhile first intermissions after decades of Grapes’ antediluvian jabbering. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT.

One of the very best commentators, especially on radio, is Ray Ferraro. It’s a pity he’s over at TSN. 

100% agree

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t really mind him but agree that he is stale. Hrudey is a likeable guy and a capable commentator - not sure why folks would crap on him. Skin colour aside, Anthony Stewart is a doofus, much closer to the poor quality of the earlier iterations of the broadcast, but his repartee with Bieksa (who routinely smokes him) has its moments..

Agree on all points. I actually like Mike Johnson a lot too. He isn't scared to discuss analytics. He isn't scared to buck the trend on subjects like face off importance, +-, hits, blocks. Mike Johnson is one of my favorites. All of my favorites are with tsn or started there.  Chris Cuthbert and John Bartlett (greatest voice In play by play) Mike Johnson and Ray Ferraro. 

40 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Agree on all points. I actually like Mike Johnson a lot too. He isn't scared to discuss analytics. He isn't scared to buck the trend on subjects like face off importance, +-, hits, blocks. Mike Johnson is one of my favorites. All of my favorites are with tsn or started there.  Chris Cuthbert and John Bartlett (greatest voice In play by play) Mike Johnson and Ray Ferraro. 

100% agree. I like Ferraro, Johnson, and from the reporter/analysts Friedman and LeBrun. Johnston is okay, miss Mackenzie, but can’t stand Dreger.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I watch on RDS and TVA (both French) intermissions I switch to radio streaming (TSN690) and enjoy Momesso’s comments.

when Guy Boucher is on TV I listen sometimes because he brings a different perspective than ex-players 

Most analysts on French tv state the obvious but do not describe the structure the coach wanted, why not did breakdown and how the other team’s structure made

that happen. Guy Boucher is the one that usually brings that except when he is goofing around with the other “experts” 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I watch on RDS and TVA (both French) intermissions I switch to radio streaming (TSN690) and enjoy Momesso’s comments.

when Guy Boucher is on TV I listen sometimes because he brings a different perspective than ex-players 

Most analysts on French tv state the obvious but do not describe the structure the coach wanted, why not did breakdown and how the other team’s structure made

that happen. Guy Boucher is the one that usually brings that except when he is goofing around with the other “experts” 

This perspective would be great. Tony Romo in nfl is the best there is. It's for that reason. He can see plays before they develope.

19 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ya, that's not what happened at all and I haven't said anything about agreeing with him.  I actually disagree with him.  However, I like him because he has a wildly different view point then the rest of them. 

He sorta said 1 thing, and then she started talking, but then he'd start talking and interrupt her.

You do realize that when somebody is speaking its ignorant to just begin speaking yourself?  Well, he did that numerous times - and specifically only to her.  The ignorance of doing that is amplified when a man does it to a woman.  Thats typically viewed for being incredibly sexist.

I once tried treating my wife like she was a man. Never again. 

Never mind the intermission. Why do Craig Simpson and Gary Galley still have jobs?!

Inaccurate, biased and boring is NOT what I m looking for from that position 

35 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Never mind the intermission. Why do Craig Simpson and Gary Galley still have jobs?!

Inaccurate, biased and boring is what I m looking for from that position 

I understand about 10% of what they say on rds. Normally watch rds when they play the Leafs on national broadcast nights. Galley Simpson and Hughson are nauseating

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Thanks! Wasn't having any luck finding it on YouTube.

As for the opinion, I am 100% with Jen and Kelly. You can't ignore Wilson's intent just because he didn't manage to successfully smash Panarin's head into the ice. If he had succeeded, we wouldn't be talking about penalities and suspensions - we would be talking about a crime.  What Wilson did was way beyond defending his goalie or himself.

As for the panelists, I don't think there is anything there in terms of sexism or even rudeness. It was just a case of people kept trying to talk at the same time because of audio/video lag, which we have all experienced in the last year.

14 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Sad for you, hockey is a men’s game in NHL.  Her and Hrudey are just playing the millennial pleasing stance.

The game is safer than ever and may become overly sanitary and politically acceptable to the point of unwatchable. 

Yeah, because punching people in the back of the head and intentionally trying to smash someone's un-helmeted head into the ice is real manly. :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Thats all true.

I also felt that Roenick was entertaining as an NHL player in interviews but was terrible on tv.  I wasnt a fan.  TV is hard and it takes more than just being good in interviews as a player.

There's a reason he was in the studio and not in the booth.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

IMO Bieksa is staking out his ground as the "old style NHL" commentator (semi-Cherry-ish) whose commets will generate controversy, garner viewers and increase his on-air value ... NOT saying he doesn't believe the core of what he says but rather that he has figured out how to say it in a way that makes his a unique voice on the panel.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Thanks! Wasn't having any luck finding it on YouTube.

As for the opinion, I am 100% with Jen and Kelly. You can't ignore Wilson's intent just because he didn't manage to successfully smash Panarin's head into the ice. If he had succeeded, we wouldn't be talking about penalities and suspensions - we would be talking about a crime.  What Wilson did was way beyond defending his goalie or himself.

As for the panelists, I don't think there is anything there in terms of sexism or even rudeness. It was just a case of people kept trying to talk at the same time because of audio/video lag, which we have all experienced in the last year.

So what is a scrum? I remember maybe 7 years ago when lucic punched someone in the face in a scrum and everyone went nuts. If another person comes at you aggressively and starts pushing you around, you gonna not push back? Scrums kind of annoy me in the first place. If you want to jump in a scrum, you should probably be prepared for the result of what happens when you act violent but are incapable of violence. What Wilson did was over the top, but I don't disagree with bieksa entirely. I also don't disagree with the rest of the panel either. But if you want to act tough against a tough guy, and he reciprocates with toughness,  what do you expect?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

So what is a scrum? I remember maybe 7 years ago when lucic punched someone in the face in a scrum and everyone went nuts. If another person comes at you aggressively and starts pushing you around, you gonna not push back? Scrums kind of annoy me in the first place. If you want to jump in a scrum, you should probably be prepared for the result of what happens when you act violent but are incapable of violence. What Wilson did was over the top, but I don't disagree with bieksa entirely. I also don't disagree with the rest of the panel either. But if you want to act tough against a tough guy, and he reciprocates with toughness,  what do you expect?

There’s a difference. Panarin wasn’t trying to act tough. He went in to help a defenceless teammate who was lying face down a d getting hit from

behind.  

this was not just too guys pushing each other after the whistle. It started from the Rangers trying to help a defenceless teammate.

26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s a difference. Panarin wasn’t trying to act tough. He went in to help a defenceless teammate who was lying face down a d getting hit from

behind.  

this was not just too guys pushing each other after the whistle. It started from the Rangers trying to help a defenceless teammate.

Thats a good point for sure. Especially for Panarin. That is what he was doing.

I am ok with Wilson ragdolling of Panarin, as Panarin jumped on his back. While I love WHY Panarin did so, coming to the defense of a teammate without any regard for his own well-being, his noble motive does not excuse that he in fact initiated a physical altercation with Wilson...therefore I have to agree with Bieksa that Wilson should not have been suspended for what transpired afterwards.  It was a one-sided wrestling match, and Panarin doesn't suddenly get a pass just because he lost his helmet in the melee.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I am ok with Wilson ragdolling of Panarin, as Panarin jumped on his back. While I love WHY Panarin did so, coming to the defense of a teammate without any regard for his own well-being, his noble motive does not excuse that he in fact initiated a physical altercation with Wilson...therefore I have to agree with Bieksa that Wilson should not have been suspended for what transpired afterwards.  It was a one-sided wrestling match, and Panarin doesn't suddenly get a pass just because he lost his helmet in the melee.

Panarin pulled Wilson off his team-mate ... he did not threaten or challenge Wilson in any way ...  pushing him down might have been OK but rag dolling him and semi-pile-driving him into the ice was ridiculous ... there is a thing called proportionality of response ... that the common excuse for the NHL doing nothing about Panarin that there was no injury proves that discipline is a roulette wheel ... do whatever you want and just hope the "roulette result wheel" lands on no injury 

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Come on, that wasn't some typical hockey tussle. Wilson looked like a judoka with that hip toss. But even that take down you might be able to explain by Wilson simply being surprised how easily Panarin went down. So I'll give him a pass on that one. But the second slam was absolutely disgusting. Trying to smash someone's head like that is only acceptable in a real life-or-death fight. Wilson could have killed him.

19 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

If another person comes at you aggressively and starts pushing you around, you gonna not push back? Scrums kind of annoy me in the first place. If you want to jump in a scrum, you should probably be prepared for the result of what happens when you act violent but are incapable of violence. What Wilson did was over the top, but I don't disagree with bieksa entirely. I also don't disagree with the rest of the panel either. But if you want to act tough against a tough guy, and he reciprocates with toughness,  what do you expect?

I fully agree with your points.

The argument that Panarin was a unwilling non combatant is basically nonsense.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Panarin pulled Wilson off his team-mate ... he did not threaten or challenge Wilson in any way

The 1st part is true - i.e. when 1 of your teammates in on the ice on his stomach and a player on the other team is on his back there is nothing wrong with pulling that guy off of your teammate.

However, the 2nd part is entirely false.  i.e. once the player on the other team is off of your teammate and back on his feet, if you pursue the player on the other team into the corner and then jump on his back you cant possibly be considered to be a completely innocent and an unwilling non combatant in the scrum. 

It seemed to be a perfect storm where numerous idiotic things lead to all of that happening.

Like Ron mentioned the 2 refs grabbed the wrong players, then when Wilson got up Panarin followed him into the corner and jumped on his back, 2 Caps went to help Wilson, Panarins line-mates really failed to protect him. 

Its interesting that at no point did Wilson drop his gloves, he could have easily started feeding Panarin fists, but didnt.  It wasn't right and I dont condone Wilson for slamming Panarin on the ground numerous times but he probably would have hurt him more if he had started beating on him. 

Personally, I thought the biggest idiotic part of it was the actual Ref who let the 2 linesmen try to get 8 players under control and just watched it all transpire while he stood there and leaned on the net.  That looked completely ridiculous and I'd have to say that was the most brain dead part of of it all. 

The strange part is a 1 game suspesion would have been a complete joke, but why not issue at least a 1 game suspension?