Training Camp Article

montreal

Here's an article I did for HF.

TRAINING CAMP 2003-2004

By Dan Linn

Welcome to the start of the ’03-’04 season! The Habs are set to hit the ice with everyone at camp and ready to play. They have invited 54 players to attend the camp, 30 forwards, 18 defensemen, and 6 goalies. In attendance will be the following;

Forwards

Donald Audette

Josef Balej

Slyain Blouin

Jan Bulis

Ben Carpentier

Andreas Dackell

Pierre Dagenais

Gordie Dwyer

Jonathan Ferland

Benoit Gratton

Chris Higgins

Marcel Hossa

Joe Juneau

Chad Kilger

Saku Koivu

Michael Lambert

Maxim Lapierre

Christain Larrivee

Jerome Marois

Duncan Milory

Alex Perezhogin

Yanic Perreault

Tomas Plekanec

Mike Ribeiro

Michael Ryder

Niklas Sundstrom

Marc-Andre Thinel

Cory Urquhart

Jason Ward

Richard Zednik

Defense

Andrew Archer

Francois Beauchemin

Francis Bouillon

Patrice Brisebois

Jean-Phillippe Cote

Karl Dykhuis

Mark Flood

Ron Hainsey

Mike Komisarek

Brent MacLellan

Andrei Markov

Phillippe Plante

Stephane Quintal

Craig Rivet

Matt Shasby

Sheldon Souray

Patrick Traverse

Steeve Villeneuve

Goalies

Michael Bergevin-Robinson

J-Francois Damphousse

Eric Fichuad

Matthieu Garon

Oliver Michaud

Jose Theodore

Out of those 54 players, two players are currently under contract with the Hamilton Bulldogs and are on a professional tryout. Ben Carpentier (who can play both offence and defense), and Phillippe Plante will be trying to land a contract with the Habs, if not they will depart for the Bulldogs camp, which gets underway on September 22 at 2 pm. Four players are without a contract, and are invited on a tryout basis. Goalie Michael Bergevin-Robinson, Jean-Phillippe Cote, Brent MacLellan, and Steeve Villeneuve, will be attempting to earn a contract or they will be sent home. Four junior aged players are without a contract, and will most likely be headed back to the CHL are, Michael Lambert, Maxim Lapierre, Cory Urquhart, and Mark Flood. And when the Bulldogs open camp, several players will be headed down to the AHL. Four players that are draft picks of the organization were sent back to their respective junior teams were, Jimmy Bonneau, Andre Deveaux, Corey Locke, and Danny Stewart. While tryouts Derek Martin, Adam Paiement, and Evan Shaw were sent home. But Adam Paiement did earn an invite to join the Bulldogs at there camp on the 22nd of this month.

Notes: Tryout Michael Bergevin Robinson and Oliver Michaud were traded for one another this past season, with Robinson putting up better numbers, but Michaud getting more wins. 12 new faces are at camp, with Carpentier, Dagenais, Lapierre, Perezhogin, Urquhart, Cote, Flood, MacLellan, Plante, Villeneuve, Robinson, Damphousse, as they all are attending their first camp with the Montreal Canadiens.

Players fighting for positions.

Look for there to be several players trying to work their way into the roster. On defense there is an over abundance of players, as roster space will be very limited, but some veterans will be looking over their shoulder and could find themselves on the bubble. Dykhuis, Traverse, Bouillon, Hainsey, and Beauchemin will all be there to show management that they should be in the lineup, but only 1 or 2 will make the cut.

In nets, Garon should feel safe as the backup, but some shaky play could spell trouble, as there are several goalies in the AHL looking to impress. Recently acquired J-F Damphousse should start the season in the AHL, but a solid start by him, and Garon could feel the heat. For the backup job in Hamilton, vet Fichaud is coming off the best year he’s ever had in the AHL, but junior aged Oliver Michaud is going to do his best to replace him, while tryout goalie Robinson try’s to show management that he deserves a spot somewhere. Expect a battle between Fichaud, Michaud and Robinson for the final spot, or perhaps be headed to the ECHL.

On offence, prospects Chris Higgins, Alex Perezhogin, Michael Ryder, will show management that they should be in the lineup, forcing some veterans to either play better or find a new team. AHL vets, Gratton, and Dagenais, will be hoping to earn a chance to play in the NHL, with perhaps a few spots open on the 3rd and 4th line if they can outwork some veterans.

And lastly one battle to keep an eye out for will be between, Dwyer, Blouin, and Carpentier, to see who can make the roster for the tough guy role. Unless Blouin learned how to play hockey much better over the last three months, Dwyer should get it, but Carpentier is a solid fighter, and may turn a few heads, literally!

:hlogo::hlogo:

Originally posted by montreal

And lastly one battle to keep an eye out for will be between, Dwyer, Blouin, and Carpentier, to see who can make the roster for the tough guy role.  Unless Blouin learned how to play hockey much better over the last three months, Dwyer should get it, but Carpentier is a solid fighter, and may turn a few heads, literally!  

:hlogo::hlogo:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was good

Now here's a challenge: Place all the players in order from best to worst (by opinion)

Forwards

Saku Koivu

Richard Zednik

Jan Bulis

Yanic Perreault

Donald Audette

Niklas Sundstrom

Mike Ribeiro

Joe Juneau

Chad Kilger

Jason Ward

Marcel Hossa

Andreas Dackell

Gordie Dwyer

Pierre Dagenais

Chris Higgins

Alex Perezhogin

Michael Ryder

Josef Balej

Tomas Plekanec

Benoit Gratton

Duncan Milroy

Maxim Lapierre

Cory Urquhart

Jonathan Ferland

Slyain Blouin

Ben Carpentier

Michael Lambert

Christain Larrivee

Marc-Andre Thinel

Jerome Marois

Defense

Andrei Markov

Craig Rivet

Patrice Brisebois

Stephane Quintal

Sheldon Souray

Mike Komisarek

Karl Dykhuis

Ron Hainsey

Francois Beauchemin

Francis Bouillon

Andrew Archer

Patrick Traverse

Matt Shasby

Mark Flood

Jean-Phillippe Cote

Brent MacLellan

Phillippe Plante

Steeve Villeneuve

Goalies

Jose Theodore

Matthieu Garon

Eric Fichaud

J-Francois Damphousse

Oliver Michaud

Michael Bergevin-Robinson

Thanks for the article....

Is anyone else besides me going to go to training camp? (Well I know Habby might go...) , I'll be attending the weekend practices this weekend at 4-glace Pierrefonds... (like 2 mins from my place) , I'll be taking lots of digital pics and writing a report , hey maybe I'll even get interviews with some players if I am lucky.

Well, as a newbie to the board (aka Habamaniac on ESPN), I'll give my own depth chart here: *-needs to be moved, ^unlikely to make the team, %surefire Bulldog.

Forwards

Koivu

Zednik

Perreault*

Audette*

Bulis

Ribeiro

Hossa

Sundstrom

Juneau

Ward

Ryder

Kilger

Dackell*

Gratton

Dagenais

Dwyer

Higgins

Perezhogin

Plekanec^

Milroy%

Balej^

Blouin^

Carpantier%

Ferland%

Laparriere (back to juniors)

Urquhart (back to juniors)

Lambert%

Larrivee (ECHL-bound)

Thinel (ECHL-bound)

Marois (ECHL-bound)

Defense

Markov

Rivet

Quintal

Komisarek

Brisebois*

Souray

Hainsey

Dykhuis*

Boullion^

Beuachemin^

Traverse^

Archer%

Shasby%

Flood (juniors)

Cote (back to ECHL)

Plante%

Villeneuve%

MacLellan

Goalies

Theodore

Garon

Damphousse^

Fichaud%

Michaud%

Bergevin- Robinson (juniors)

:hockey:

:ghg:

Former Canadiens captain Bob Gainey took over as general manager, bumping former GM Andre Savard to assistant GM, and made his first address to the players on Thursday morning.

"He reiterated that we have to be serious about winning," young defenceman Ron Hainsey said of the meeting. "Not just making the playoffs, but winning championships.

"He didn't come here to make us a little bit better, but to become a championship contender."

I would expect that those players who are either too soft (mentally or physically) to do the job expected of them by Gainey will be moved. Brisebois, Perreault and Dackell head that list IMO.

:hlogo:

New article from RDS (Basically what was said in the TV report)

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/HOCK...AN3F6248C3.html

Friday 13th September 2003 - (RDS) - Its official , it has started. The Canadiens players took their first skate Friday. For the first four days of the camp the action will take place in Pierrefonds. With less then a week until the first preseason game the youngsters have little time to impress the habs management.

The 54 players at camp were divided into 3 groups and are taking part in a tournament against each other. Bob Gainey watched the first practice. He is around to evaluate the work ethic of the young players , the GM said he was impressed by the physical shape of the veterans.

"Lots of veterans are in better shape then last year , and possibly in the best shape of their careers" said Gainey.

Gainey was also questioned about the Patrice Brisebois situation , last spring Andre Savard mentioned that he was looking to trade Brisebois. Gainey refused to elaborate on the subject of Brisebois but is aware that the situation is not the most ideal.

"My case is not that simple , but if I have to do it , I will" said Brisebois.

Patrice Brisebois is looking great , and he is not alone. Yanic Perreault and Jason Ward led their team to a 3-1 victory . At forward their are few positions available , and Ward wants to stay in Montreal.

"I faired well , but I havent secured my spot in the lineup just yet" said Ward.

Considering the small size of the Canadiens forwards Ward has an advantage. And he played well at the end of last season. In the next few days the ball is in his court.

Jason Ward is not the only forward with size on the team. At 25 years old , Pierre Dagenais is trying to get a chance with the Canadiens.

At 6'5 215lbs the Quebecer played a few games with the Florida Panthers last year and joined the Canadiens as a free agent. As a natural left winger Dagenais profits from the fact that the Canadiens only have 2 LW's assured of spots to begin the season in Bulis and Sundstrom.

"I trained hard this summer. I must do better then I can" said Dagenais.

-----------------

Very sorry about the mistakes (sure their are a few) , but I can assure you that they are minor... And you got the gist of what was said... Dont critizise free translations :)

[Edited on 2003-9-12 by puck7x]