GDT Habs Oilers May 10th

I don't have the lineups or anything else for you.

What I do have is the facts. We need a point. Period. 

Get your butts out there and get'er done boys.

Can't wait on Calgary losing to the 'nucks.

1st GDT of the season, hope it is not my last!

Go Habs Go!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I don't have the lineups or anything else for you.

What I do have is the facts. We need a point. Period. 

Get your butts out there and get'er done boys.

Can't wait on Calgary losing to the 'nucks.

1st GDT of the season, hope it is not my last!

Go Habs Go!!!

Well at least McDavid got his quest for 100 out of the way and will be a little less possessed tonight?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well at least McDavid got his quest for 100 out of the way and will be a little less possessed tonight?

Yes, and maybe their coach will actually spread the ice time around as a result.

Have never seen a coach cater to one player so much, from double shifting, to putting him on with opponent goalie pulled and anything else to help him get to his “milestone”, meanwhile the rest of the team is watching.

Through a connection the their organization (medical professional) I was told the teammates noticed it and were not impressed. I was told this is partly why there are very few interviews with teammates about how happy they are about McDavid’s 100 points.
Apparently players open up during treatments and felt they were passengers on the bus rather than part of the team.

Hockey is a team game and all of this will be forgotten if they win a cup, but when they don’t these feelings will fester, resentment will build and implosion ensues. None of his teammates want to ride the pines while he pursues individual goals, coaches should have been more aware of that as apparently there is dissension in the room.
He played well over one third of the game (avg over 22 min per game this year), every game so even with only eleven forwards a few of them are taking a serious hit in toi and no matter how great of a role player you are, no NHL player wants to dress and the watch the game from bench. These are all elite players who dominated at younger ages and don’t always adjust well to playing 9 ministers a night. They know this makes their next contract tough and given they haven’t won a thing yet, the teammates aren’t sold on this approach implemented by head coach.
He had McDavid out there this much even when they had game in the bag and during blow out wins.  He’s not blocking shots but he’s out there preserving a one goal lead against empty net???Gretzky didn’t do any of that, Lemieux did not either.

Hopefully benefits the Habs.

Go Habs Go!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hockeyrealist said:

e had McDavid out there this much even when they had game in the bag and during blow out wins.  He’s not blocking shots but he’s out there preserving a one goal lead against empty net???Gretzky didn’t do any of that, Lemieux did not either.

Gretzky is the all-time league leader in empty-net goals while Lemieux is fourth.  https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/who-has-the-most-career-empty-net-goals

I do get your point about the catering though - I've noticed Toronto does it a lot too with Marner and Matthews.  It's all about the stat-padding.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Gretzky is the all-time league leader in empty-net goals while Lemieux is fourth.  https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/who-has-the-most-career-empty-net-goals

I do get your point about the catering though - I've noticed Toronto does it a lot too with Marner and Matthews.  It's all about the stat-padding.

Yeah, after I posted I recalled seeing them pot empty betters and immediately questioned myself.

and I do understand that often a teams best player offensively is also very good locking down the win as well so I shouldn’t have been so one sided. 
McD is an amazing player, no doubt. I feel for the teammates though, but if they win a cup with him carrying the team I imagine they will be all smiles.   

I’ve been hating on him since he started throwing elbows, and the commentators rave about how he’s being physical and defending himself. No, he’s being dirty. He gets special treatment from officials, league, coaches, commentators... it gets noticed internally too and losing breeds turmoil so hopefully a little adversity and they crumble.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

interesting, I’ve noticed that vs Habs. 
I suppose in some ways it justifies the massive contracts the organization has given them, I wonder how Tavares likes playing second/third fiddle. He seems to be a lot less noticeable in terms of toi and opportunistic usage, if they don’t win a cup that could start breeding discontent as well.  Tricky balance, and now that I think of it, am surprised some of these top

guns are playing career highs on toi (McD and Matthews both) given the compressed schedule, health concerns of this season. 
Padding the stats must be a factor given what is now known about “load management” with star athletes and the compressed schedule.  I find that surprising in such a “team game”.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Yes, and maybe their coach will actually spread the ice time around as a result ...

But catering to McDavid has worked well for the Habs this season.

Coaches play their best player more than the rest of the players on the team?  No shit.  This is the NHL, not house league.

The point is to win, not make sure all the kids get to play.

The Oilers and Leafs are the top 2 teams in the division.  Giving McDavid and Matthews lots of minutes works.  Wish we had a player like that who we could cater to too.

So many words to write the obvious.

Don't expect spreading of ice time from the Oilers. They hope to finish us in 2 and face the Flames. Better matchup for them.

6 and 4 vs Calgary, best they can do is 4 and 5 vs Habs

52 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Noting the absence of Drouin on that list. Hoping he is doing well. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Coaches play their best player more than the rest of the players on the team?  No shit.  This is the NHL, not house league.

The point is to win, not make sure all the kids get to play.

The Oilers and Leafs are the top 2 teams in the division.  Giving McDavid and Matthews lots of minutes works.  Wish we had a player like that who we could cater to too.

So many words to write the obvious.

That part is fine but how many times do the top players play in the final few minutes when the game is out of reach?  Look at Thursday's game - 5-2 Toronto with two and a half minutes left and the Leafs getting a two-minute five-on-three.  The top unit played the entire two minutes.  That's not trying to win the game, that's trying to pad stats.  (Toronto would counter that they're trying to figure out their power play, a similar response to what Montreal had in the bubble when Alain Vigneault called them out.)

Of course the elite players are going to get more ice time but it's the late game situations when the game is already decided where there has been a distinct change in philosophy in recent years.  It used to be double-shift the fourth line and not risk the top guys getting hurt.  Now, for some teams at least, it's get the top guys out there a bit more to try to pop another one and pad the numbers.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Need to find a Tavares-type superstar who ACTUALLY wants to sign with hometown franchise, any french superstars with contract running out in next year or two on shitty neverending noncontending teams who may fit the bill?

• Like 1

Lineups as per TSN.

Montreal:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Armia
Tatar -  Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Byron  - Evans - Lehkonen
Perry - Staal - Caufield

Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Chiarot
Romanov - Merrill

Allen starting
Primeau

Edmonton:

Kahun-McDavid-Puljuarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Shore-Khaira-Archibald

Neal-McLeod-Chiasson

Nurse-Barrie
Jones-Bear
Lagesson?-Larsson - Unclear if Kulikov is available

Koskinen starts

So there's a good chance for a win, Koskinen is awful, but watch him have the best game of his season tonight.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Need to find a Tavares-type superstar who ACTUALLY wants to sign with hometown franchise, any french superstars with contract running out in next year or two on shitty neverending noncontending teams who may fit the bill?

Closest this season is Paul Stastny ... at least he was born in Quebec ... but not IMO a superstar

Summer of 2022 Sean Couturier is a UFA ... again, IMO not a superstar, but better than anyone the Habs have (IMO) at the moment (KK and Suzuki remain unknown entities as 1Cs) ... Giroux and Bergeron are also UFAs but are a bit old IMO

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That part is fine but how many times do the top players play in the final few minutes when the game is out of reach?  Look at Thursday's game - 5-2 Toronto with two and a half minutes left and the Leafs getting a two-minute five-on-three.  The top unit played the entire two minutes.  That's not trying to win the game, that's trying to pad stats.  (Toronto would counter that they're trying to figure out their power play, a similar response to what Montreal had in the bubble when Alain Vigneault called them out.)

Of course the elite players are going to get more ice time but it's the late game situations when the game is already decided where there has been a distinct change in philosophy in recent years.  It used to be double-shift the fourth line and not risk the top guys getting hurt.  Now, for some teams at least, it's get the top guys out there a bit more to try to pop another one and pad the numbers.

Given that the Leafs PP is 30th out of 31 teams in the NHL from April 1st to Present, is trying to get the PP going not a valid reason?  5 weeks of not performing on the PP does that to a team.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Huberdeau recently said he'd love to play for the Habs and he has two years left on his contract. I wouldn't consider him a superstar, but he'd likely be the best forward we'd have at that point in time. 

5 minutes ago, illWill said:

Huberdeau recently said he'd love to play for the Habs and he has two years left on his contract. I wouldn't consider him a superstar, but he'd likely be the best forward we'd have at that point in time. 

No need to diss Toffoli 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No need to diss Toffoli 

Love me some Foli and I hope he keeps it up. But I'll take the proven point per game player over him all things considered

4 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Noting the absence of Drouin on that list. Hoping he is doing well. 

Well, he mentioned injured players, and Drouin is not injured.  Depending on what exactly it is that Drouin is going through, there is a possibility that he may never return to hockey.  ex: think Sheldon Kennedy. 

3 hours ago, DON said:

Need to find a Tavares-type superstar who ACTUALLY wants to sign with hometown franchise, any french superstars with contract running out in next year or two

I've been thinking Dubois since he wanted out of Columbus and mentioned that he wants to play for the Habs.  However, I thought he was 23 turning 24 but unfortunately he's only 22 so it will be several more years before that might be a possibility.

58 minutes ago, illWill said:

Huberdeau recently said he'd love to play for the Habs and he has two years left on his contract.

Huberdeau would be good too. 

Silly question, but who did Dadanov play with in Flor?  Was it Huberdeau or Barkov?  i.e. somebody on Flor must be a great passer and made Dadanov a lot better.  It's surprising that Flor lost two guys that were basically 30 g scorers and they significantly improved this year.  Columbus seemed to lose numerous top players too and for several years they somehow stayed the same or improved. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Given that the Leafs PP is 30th out of 31 teams in the NHL from April 1st to Present, is trying to get the PP going not a valid reason?  5 weeks of not performing on the PP does that to a team.

For that game, sure.  For the times they were doing that over the last couple of years when they had a big lead lead and a functioning power play, they can't use that argument.  And to be clear, I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that there has been a shift lately to teams giving guys a chance to pad their stats over the older approach.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

that there has been a shift lately to teams giving guys a chance to pad their stats over the older approach.

Under the Cap, a team playing guys for individual stats doesn't seem to make any sense from a teams perspective.  i.e. if the player manages to accomplish a significant stat they will use that in negotiations to get paid even more $.