Shane Doan Suspension?

MAK

shane doan calling the refs after the game: those *BLEEPING* frenchmen refs.

to bad they weren't black' then he could've called them *BLEEPING* *BLEEPS*, or *BLEEPS*, or *BLEEPING* russians or greek...you get my point.

to me shane doan is no more than a moron:mad:

[Edited on 12-15-05 by Fanpuck33]

Yeah he better get suspended if not that is just another get out of jail free card for Doan this year.

Courtesy of Wayne Gretzky

I am not saying anything about Gretzky except that Colin Campbell may be afraid of him.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks it is unacceptable when players and media make derogatory comments about french-Canadian or european players, or as in this case refs, and get away with it.

Hockey is a multi-cultural sport and we live in a multi-cultural country.

Racist comments like Doan's or Avery's or DonCherry's must be punished.

Wow! Doan taking a page of Avery's book. The league ought to come down hard on him -taking "advantage" that the comments where made towards refs- and nip this trend in the butt. This is getting ridiculous. Unfortunately, something tells me this will be token punishment if punishment there is.

Yes I agree. 100%

I brought this issue up at the end of the Yotes game thread.

Doan received a gross misconduct at the end of the game so I knew that he must have done something foolish. I do believe this is a mistake though because Shane Doan is a very respectful guy, I imagine he was just frustrated and that is no excuse I am sure he knows he will be punished and I am also sure he feels bad.

you'd think people would be more intelligent nowadays

I don't know why my thread title got changed but anyway...

I'm ok with the censors of the f-word... I used it alot, so: mea culpa

as for the suspension of doan. do you REALLY the the league gives a smurf about that kind of comment.

This guy doesn't belong on Team Canada. Quebec is a part of Canada so if he's against Quebec, he's against his own country. Doan is a tool. If you want class, look at Ryan Smyth.

The worst separatists in this country are English and yet no one ever says anything. When i was living in Toronto, the comments I heard about the French and Quebec made me sick. So many biggots that know how to hide their prejudice, but get a few drinks in them and they spill it all. These types will say how much they hate Quebec and wish they would be thrown out of Canada. After you spend a couple of nights around these kinds of assholes you find yourself sympathizing with the PQ. These aren't jaded people. They are people that firmly believe in the superiority of Anglophones. Real Nazis. The federal government should take the bull by the horns and severely punish anyone that even hints a derogatory remark against French people. It's the only way things will ever change.

Those refs called the game the exact same way every other game with American or English Canadian refs called it against us. I'd say even less so. Now they can see how it feels like if they're smart enough to make the connection.

[Edited on 2005/12/15 by Lister110]

~moeman, Wayne Gretzky is one of the most honest and hockey passionate person you’ll find. He’s Mr Hockey himself and he even deserves more recognition than what he gets now. You won’t see a more humble person in hockey than him. He never complained about being benched in his last Olympics, during the shutouts of the Gold Medal game. Your Gretzky bashing is unfunded. Everyone has the right to share its opinion. But saying only that you don’t like Gretzky is not an opinion and doesn’t lead to any discussion.

Originally posted by sakiqc

~moeman, Wayne Gretzky is one of the most honest and hockey passionate person you’ll find. He’s Mr Hockey himself and he even deserves more recognition than what he gets now. You won’t see a more humble person in hockey than him. He never complained about being benched in his last Olympics, during the shutouts of the Gold Medal game. Your Gretzky bashing is unfunded. Everyone has the right to share its opinion. But saying only that you don’t like Gretzky is not an opinion and doesn’t lead to any discussion.

:clap:Well put:clap:

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Frankly what moe is saying about Gretzky is true. It's his opinion, I agree with him fully, and so do alot of other people. I do not see why any of us should be critized for our opinions. Facts and examples are given so whats the big deal?

Ok, let me get this straight:

~moeman can bash Gretzky, but sakiqc isn't allowed to praise him?

What gives?

And show me, what facts have been given? The closest thing I can find is "Gretzky is a traitor." How on Earth is he a traitor? A traitor to who? Where is the evidence?

Just a couple of things that I feel:

Objectively, I think that the Yotes game was evenly officiated. The refereeing wasn't perfect, but at least it was equal on both sides. The fact that Doan chose to blame the refs for his team's flat performance is indicative of poor sportmanship and a lack of maturity. Point of fact, the Canadiens were the better team, it's ignorant to blame the officials. Shame on Shane!

Secondly, Gretzky *is* the King of hockey. He was a classy, passionate, and true ambassador of the game when he was a player. Nevertheless, since his departure from the ice, he has been forced to assume a different role, which sometimes requires him to deviate from the high road. I mean no disrespect when I say that I think he will make decisions in the name of his team's self-interest, and I think he does receive preferential treatment from the league. But is that really too surprising? Would any other coach act differently?

Finally, racism.. or any other form of bigotry, has no place in our game. This is Canada's game, and one of the reasons Canada is so great is that we respect others, regardless of race, religion, gender or even team affiliation. If Doan is indeed a bigot, then I in no way want him representing our great nation.

And I'm done...

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Frankly what moe is saying about Gretzky is true. It's his opinion, I agree with him fully, and so do alot of other people. I do not see why any of us should be critized for our opinions. Facts and examples are given so whats the big deal?

You say a lot of other people agree with you and moeman, well I disagree with that. You and moeman have taken it upon yourselves to bash Gretzky at every turn in this forum and it seems to me you have received little support. As far as I'm concerned you have provided no basis or proof of your allegations and I probably speak for the majority in saying it's becoming monotonous. You've both expressed your opinion on this numerous times so we all get your point, now give it a rest

Gretzki is an embassodor to hockey in general and to Canadian hockey. He is human but he is still morally and ethically without reproach.

It is easy to target the person at the top of the hill. I do not need to agree with everything he does to still understand what he brings to hockey and society as a whole.

Originally posted by sakiqc

I used to have this same opinion, but unfortunately (and fortunately), I sit 2nd row behind the visitors bench, and watching Gretzky attack the officials verbally every time they made a call, quite frankly, disgusted me. At one point, Matt Johnston was ankored to a habs as he was entering the offensive zone. The ref calls obstruction, and Gretz goes INSANE on him.

It was an obvious call that shouldn't have been debated.

As The Greatest Player ever to strap on skates, and a supporter of the New NHL, he should at least be fair in his assessment of the game.

[Edited on 12/15/2005 by Makh2o]

hmm...

Thinking, ok, Wayne is not God. Criticism is ok, it's not sacrileges -- but let's be real -- remember, man did we ever bitch and moan when the refs screwed us at the leaf game coupla weeks back.

So Wayne complained. Not a problem in my opinion, but don't coaches get fined for complaining these days? Does the NHL figure it is sacrileges to punish The Great One like it does other coaches? If they do, that's no good.

And Doan -- if he bitched specifically about the Québec ref's ethnicity then he should be punished it's only fair -- either let "boys be boys" (not my choice), or else make it clear that players can't use derogatory terms, hell young kids are watching hockey, looking up to players as heros for Chrissakes. But if there are rules, then make 'em across the board -- no "homo"; no "######"; no "frog" and so on -- it's that simple.

And I say this despite the fact that Doan is on my team in a (big money) hockey pool.

waynEgo is honest? Based on what?

I don't like the guy, never have and if the opportunity arises for me to point out his bias and (what I believe to be) idiotic comments, I'll do it.

Is it written somewhere that I cannot state my opinion? I could care less if anyone disagrees with me. How's it gonna change my opinion? I'm monotonous to some of you? Quit reading me comments. Are you forced to read my comments? Please.

Am I to understand that disliking and disagreeing with someone, regardless of his buffed status, is gonna get my comments banned, edited or slagged.

Like I said, like I care.