Laval police officer shot and killed

Leafs Suck

http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/national/2005...aval051214.html

A man is in police custody following a seven-hour standoff at an apartment building where a constable was shot and later died after she answered a routine call in a suburb of Montreal.

Sgt. François Doré, a spokesman for the provincial police force, announced the arrest at about 7 p.m. EST Wednesday but didn't immediately release any other information about the man.

Const. Valerie Gignac, 25, was shot shortly after reaching the scene of a noisy quarrel at the apartment in the northern district of Laval des Rapides in the late morning.

The bullet reportedly went right through the apartment door and her bulletproof vest.

Gignac, who suffered stomach wounds, was rushed to Montreal's Sacred Heart Hospital in critical condition, but later died.

"She's very young, too young, to be in such a moment," Laval police director Jean Pierre Gariépy said in announcing her death earlier in the day.

"It's very difficult for every police officer to have to deal with her death."

Gariépy, said Gignac's boyfriend was also a police officer in Laval, but gave few other details about the shooting.

[Edited on 2005/12/15 by Leafs Suck]

As before, with Richard Pryor, I don't want to be callous or anything nearing that but, though it's tragic that this woman died, it is a big part of the risk of being a policewoman.

The same can be said for being a hard-rock minor, a construction worker, a fireman, etc.

This is not a risk I face as a teacher but I recognize that it definitely is for those who choose those careers.