Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

51 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

KK adds nothing?

How did we score the first two goals?

Speed.

Anderson and Byron blitzed by their d and KK is faster than many guys in the lineup. He should be in. He’s improving defensively as well. 

Whenever I see a post like this, I question whether you are talking about the KK we saw THIS season, or the previous version that was on a great upwards trajectory.  The guy we saw this season added nothing in the vast majority of the games he played.  I'd be thrilled if 'bubble Kotkaniemi' suddenly showed up, but it's hard to be optimistic since he's shown nothing close to that level of game all season long.

45 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Whenever I see a post like this, I question whether you are talking about the KK we saw THIS season, or the previous version that was on a great upwards trajectory.  The guy we saw this season added nothing in the vast majority of the games he played.  I'd be thrilled if 'bubble Kotkaniemi' suddenly showed up, but it's hard to be optimistic since he's shown nothing close to that level of game all season long.

Both KK and Caufield have shown more than Stall.

I was reading the Leaf boards, they are just all over Marner, not a playoff performer etc etc.   Here is a quote below that could be put up in the Habs dressing room when discussing Riley Nash. One poster actually thought Josh Anderson was a terrible hockey player although many think he is a beast which he certainly was last night. Big pressure on Mathews and Marner tomorrow night. 

Anyways as I said elsewhere, get Nash the hell out of the lineup. Literally one of the worst offensive players in the league, we don't need a shutdown guy against a team of 3rd liners

3 hours ago, sbhatt said:

By not playing him you’re essentially playing not to lose.

Playoff hockey - put the lineup on the ice that IF they play their best they give you the best chance to win. And KK’s best is far superior to some of the others “best”. He’ll show up, and if he doesn’t then he sits Game 3. But not giving him that chance in the playoffs when he’s talented enough to be a difference maker is dumb. 
Same with Caufield. PowerPlay looked horrid, wonder if he could have helped. 

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Not true. Staal was one if the best forwards for the Habs last night. He had a big game

I wanted to hear some opinions on Stall's play. I think he assisted Anderson's goal and won three draws out of three. That's about all I know. 

He made very good passes. Smart plays in his own end and played big in front of campbell. I dont feel like I'm exaggerating.  I was annoyed that he was playing over CC or kk, but last night he was very good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Not true. Staal was one if the best forwards for the Habs last night. He had a big game

I think he played a BETTER game, but I wouldn’t say he had a big game, or that he was one of the best players - he definitely was playing with our best player on the night. 

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

He made very good passes. Smart plays in his own end and played big in front of campbell. I dont feel like I'm exaggerating.  I was annoyed that he was playing over CC or kk, but last night he was very good.

Thanks amigo. 

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he played a BETTER game, but I wouldn’t say he had a big game, or that he was one of the best players - he definitely was playing with our best player on the night. 

I could rewatch it, but I don't think I will. Anderson, price, Staal and Byron were the best players last night I felt. Byron, not just because of the goal. He checked very well all night. My opinion I suppose. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I could rewatch it, but I don't think I will. Anderson, price, Staal and Byron were the best players last night I felt. Byron, not just because of the goal. He checked very well all night. My opinion I suppose. 

I thought Byron was excellent- especially on the PK (not just on the SH goal) and was aggressive on the forecheck. Anderson was by far the best player, than Price, Petry, and Byron. I thought Armia, Perry and Taffoli were also very good. I think Stall was certainly better, but he was playing with the best player on the ice, and I don’t think he was as good as the other old man - Perry.

bottom line is we need the PP to be better and I don’t think Stall is the answer to that. I’d like to see Gallagher and Perry as the two guys that are to get camp in the crease in the two PP units, and Taffoli, Anderson, Caufield, Suzuki as the other forwards. Problem with that configuration of course is that only Suzuki is an actual centre. 

we burned Toronto’s D with speed. I’d rather add more speed AND improve the PP. with Tavares out, the leafs no longer have two dominant centres, that can expose our young players.

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

He had a good period.  He ws bad in the second and third... getting hemmed in his own end most of those periods 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I expect a hat trick tonight 

Going from playing like a complete bum to scoring a playoff hat trick?  I suppose anything is possible; the hockey gods owe us some voodoo magic in our favour after crapping all over us for the better part of this season.

For all the talk about Montreal sitting their younger players, note that Toronto sat more proven players on their back end to put in Rasmus Sandin who was blown by on the Anderson goal and the Byron one, becoming a major reason why they lost in the process.  If you're going to talk about how the upside of playing the youngsters trumps everything else, at least keep in mind that the downside can be costly as well.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Whenever i see a post that calls an NHL player, completely useless, or a complete bum or some other type of hyperbole I question the writer, and if they are capable of appreciating nuance. 

There are no shades of grey in your posts, a player can't be doing poorly, or struggling, or needs to do x better, or is good in his own zone but not offensively, or is producing offence but not defence... nope, no analysis, no nuance.

Just the greatest of all time or completely useless.  Absolutely no in between.

But sure, question what other people are watching.

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Whenever i see a post that calls an NHL player, completely useless, or a complete bum or some other type of hyperbole I question the writer, and if they are capable of appreciating nuance ...

Sadly, that is all too often the modern mentality ... dichotomies and no middles ... it isn't just sports ... politics, on all sides, is US (good) versus THEM (evil) ... in the US primaries system politicians lose their party's nomination for being too centrist/reasonable.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

He had a good period.  He ws bad in the second and third... getting hemmed in his own end most of those periods 

I agree with this 100%

Not to mention Anderson had a lot to do with how good Staal looked in that first period. 

Anderson was a beast all game long. 

If KK really nails it tonight it should be considered that he replace Staal when Evans returns

Poor Leafs havent won a playoff series since 2004 and only won 13 playoff games in that time.

Hope Habs heap more futility on em. :pray:

We need to force Toronto to play a grinding game, not wheeling with the puck. Play like Boston against Washington. Clog up the neutral zone and force the play to the boards. Finish every hit. I had high hopes when I saw Toronto come out hitting in the 1st last night. That is not their game. Force them to play a tight game and we stand a chance. Go Habs Go!! 

I think we need to deal with Simmonds. He is running around cross checking and hitting us, he has eliminated Anderson and he skates around with an attitude that dares us to do anything about it. 

I think the next time Simmonds is in the corner with Edmundson, Edmundson should just start punching Simmonds in the face. It will of course lead to a fight. We just need to ensure Edmundson wins. 

If Simmonds continues to run around being a dirty shit then repeat the process with Chairot. 

Simmonds is a problem that we should not ignore 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we need to deal with Simmonds. He is running around cross checking and hitting us, he has eliminated Anderson and he skates around with an attitude that dares us to do anything about it. 

I think the next time Simmonds is in the corner with Edmundson, Edmundson should just start punching Simmonds in the face. It will of course lead to a fight. We just need to ensure Edmundson wins. 

If Simmonds continues to run around being a dirty shit then repeat the process with Chairot. 

Simmonds is a problem that we should not ignore 

If we spend too much time worrying about Simmonds then he has definitely done his job, he wants us to worry about him. It's the other players we need to worry about.  If he crosses the line then hopefully the ref calls it.  I am way more worried about Mathews etc.