2021 NHL Playoffs

Neech

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Can Kadri ever play a playoff series without taking a catastrophic penalty or getting suspended?

What a puke.

Agree. Yet I still think Wilson there are far more time Wilson should have been suspended, but he is closer to a Parros type (albeit 1000000x more skilled), while Kadri is mor of a Linsman type, so I’d dealt with more harshly.

• dlbalr pinned this topic

Winnipeg with the win. I’d love it if the Oilers and Leafs get knocked out, with the media rooting for a McDavid-Matthews series.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Winnipeg with the win. I’d love it if the Oilers and Leafs get knocked out, with the media rooting for a McDavid-Matthews series.

Think a lot of fans not aligned with the Habs, Leafs, Oilers or Jets were cheering for it too.

Corey Perry accidentally concusses Tavares while trying to avoid hitting him and he has to fight. Hornqvist knocks Sergachev out of the game with a borderline birding hit and doesn't have to fight. Duclair knocks Kucherov out of the game with a slash to the knee and doesn't have to fight. Why is the least dirty play the only one that results in a fight?

32 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Corey Perry accidentally concusses Tavares while trying to avoid hitting him and he has to fight. Hornqvist knocks Sergachev out of the game with a borderline birding hit and doesn't have to fight. Duclair knocks Kucherov out of the game with a slash to the knee and doesn't have to fight. Why is the least dirty play the only one that results in a fight?

There was a line brawl at the end of that game.

42 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

There is something wrong when a slash like that gets 2 min.  Wilson could have killed someone, but didn’t so he gets a measly fine. Duclair lays a cheap shot slash that injures Kucherov (don’t know the extent of the injury yet), but only gets 2 min, for his “sending a message” slash. Sergechev gets knocked out. There should be suspensions for cheap shot - even if they are “just slashes”.  Seems you have to be a marked man like Kadri to get any meaningful suspension or supplementary discipline. I didn’t like Kadri’s hit, but I think Wilson should have received far harsher suspensions than what Kadri’s gotten throughout his career.

Just to be clear, I agree with all of the suspensions Kadri has gotten, but wonder if he would have gotten as severe suspensions and discipline if he wasn’t a minority.  Wilson has fine far worse, far more often.

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Just to be clear, I agree with all of the suspensions Kadri has gotten, but wonder if he would have gotten as severe suspensions and discipline if he wasn’t a minority.  Wilson has fine far worse, far more often.

What are you trying to say?  That Kadri would have got a lesser suspension if he was white??   That thought never entered my mind and I don't think it had anything to do with the suspension.   Kadri is a multiple multiple offender.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What are you trying to say?  That Kadri would have got a lesser suspension if he was white??   That thought never entered my mind and I don't think it had anything to do with the suspension.   Kadri is a multiple multiple offender.

That's what Akim Aliu (the Hockey Diversity Alliance founder) is pushing today.  I don't buy it for a second but it's definitely out there as a discussion point now.

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's what Akim Aliu (the Hockey Diversity Alliance founder) is pushing today.  I don't buy it for a second but it's definitely out there as a discussion point now.

How does that logic apply to Duclair ?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

There was a line brawl at the end of that game.

What line brawl? There was pushing and shoving, with some wrestling thrown in.  Not a single fight. And while Duclair was on the ice for it, he wasn't even at the center of it.

8 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

What line brawl? There was pushing and shoving, with some wrestling thrown in.  Not a single fight. And while Duclair was on the ice for it, he wasn't even at the center of it.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, I watched the game. I guess we have different definitions of a line brawl. All I see is a line scrum. No fights equals no line brawl in my book. The Good Friday game against the Nordiques, Avs and Red Wings back in the mid 90's, the beginning of the Rangers-Caps game after the Wilson crap - those were line brawls. Well, the Habs-Nordiques went way beyond a line brawl, haha.

4 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Yeah, I watched the game. I guess we have different definitions of a line brawl. All I see is a line scrum. No fights equals no line brawl in my book. The Good Friday game against the Nordiques, Avs and Red Wings back in the mid 90's - those were line brawls. Well, the Habs-Nordiques went way beyond a line brawl, haha.

See... I'd say Paul Byron's goal on Thursday was a beautiful goal. 

That doesn't mean its as great as Mario splitting the D against the North Stars in 1991, or other all-time greats from the past. 

Its the same thing here, not living up to two of the craziest brawls in history doesn't mean this wasn't a brawl.  It was more than just pushing and shoving or a scrum.

Just now, Commandant said:

See... I'd say Paul Byron's goal on Thursday was a beautiful goal. 

That doesn't mean its as great as Mario splitting the D against the North Stars in 1991, or other all-time greats from the past. 

Its the same thing here, not living up to two of the craziest brawls in history doesn't mean this wasn't a brawl.

:rolleyes: I was just giving well known examples. I wasn't saying that it has to be a memorable event to be considered a line brawl. My point is that it's not a line brawl if there are no fights. Look at the box score - no fighting majors. Just like how when all 10 skaters on the ice got sent to the box in the Pens-Isles game on Thursday - all roughing minors and not fighting majors. Neither was a line brawl in my book. I just have a stricter definition that you do, I guess.

7 hours ago, Neech said:

What a game going to triple OT in the Western Canada series.  The refs really swallowing their whistles, overlooking blatant holds and trips shift after shift.

That was a heck of a game, losing 3 OT games in a row is a tough pill for the Oilers to swallow. Jets will be a tough opponent for anyone, a great and deep group of forwards (Ehlers is turning into a star), an outstanding goalie, however their group of defenceman is likely the  weak spot on the team, Morrissey is good, Pionk had a surprisingly good year but the rest of the group is average at best.  But they will also be well rested and that's important when the long grind of the playoffs can wear a team down. I will definitely be cheering for them if the Leafs manage to get by the Habs. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That was a heck of a game, losing 3 OT games in a row is a tough pill for the Oilers to swallow. Jets will be a tough opponent for anyone, a great and deep group of forwards (Ehlers is turning into a star), an outstanding goalie, however their group of defenceman is likely the  weak spot on the team, Morrissey is good, Pionk had a surprisingly good year but the rest of the group is average at best.  But they will also be well rested and that's important when the long grind of the playoffs can wear a team down. I will definitely be cheering for them if the Leafs manage to get by the Habs. 

I’d take their D over ours.  Morrisey is a stud, and at this point in their careers, I’d take Pionk over Weber.

Cheveldayoff was on the job, what a year longer than MB?  Inherited a perpetual crap relocation team with a history of being a loser and having a losing culture.  He actually did build a team through the draft and than was able to add pieces, while probably being in arguably the least desirable location for an NHL team. He was forced into making trades and was put in difficult situations (like Trouba forcing his way to where he wanted to go, Buff quiting before training camp), but he has iced competitive teams that fir the most part have been much better than ours. The whole argument of he’a one the same number of cups as MB and has not done much better is ludicrous.  he has done a

a Much better job and managed to fill his holes under much more trying circumstances.

The following is the at home grown talent drafted and developed under him up to 2016 that are core pieces of the team, or were parts of a trade to acquire core pieces:

2011:

- Scheifele

-Lowry

2012:

-Trouba (forced to trade, but for Pionk)
-Hellebuyck 

2013:

-morrissey 

-Copp

2014:

-Ehlers

2015:

-Conner 

-Roslovic (forced trade)

2016:

-Laine (forced trade)

what have we got from MB drafted and developed over same period that is a key part of the team?  Lekhonan and Evans??  Romanov and Caufield should become regulars (the jets also have more recent picks that will also become regulars).  
That is totally unacceptable. 

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d take their D over ours.  Morrisey is a stud, and at this point in their careers, I’d take Pionk over Weber.

Cheveldayoff was on the job, what a year longer than MB?  Inherited a perpetual crap relocation team with a history of being a loser and having a losing culture.  He actually did build a team through the draft and than was able to add pieces, while probably being in arguably the least desirable location for an NHL team. He was forced into making trades and was put in difficult situations (like Trouba forcing his way to where he wanted to go, Buff quiting before training camp), but he has iced competitive teams that fir the most part have been much better than ours. The whole argument of he’a one the same number of cups as MB and has not done much better is ludicrous.  he has done a

a Much better job and managed to fill his holes under much more trying circumstances.

The following is the at home grown talent drafted and developed under him up to 2016 that are core pieces of the team, or were parts of a trade to acquire core pieces:

2011:

- Scheifele

-Lowry

2012:

-Trouba (forced to trade, but for Pionk)
-Hellebuyck 

2013:

-morrissey 

-Copp

2014:

-Ehlers

2015:

-Conner 

-Roslovic (forced trade)

2016:

-Laine (forced trade)

what have we got from MB drafted and developed over same period that is a key part of the team?  Lekhonan and Evans??  Romanov and Caufield should become regulars (the jets also have more recent picks that will also become regulars).  
That is totally unacceptable. 

No question Cheveldayoff and their scouting department have done an excellent job,  especially given as you mentioned the number of times they were forced to trade players.  Copps and Lowry have developed into excellent players, great depth and skill at forward. If Hellebucyk continues to perform they will be a handful for anybody. 

Winnipeg is definitely the team I have been following as a model for the Habs.

Difference is that MB decided to go for it on his first rebuild and followed that with a re-tool for the second swing at the cup

This playoffs is a referendum on MB like others have written

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Winnipeg is definitely the team I have been following as a model for the Habs.

Difference is that MB decided to go for it on his first rebuild and followed that with a re-tool for the second swing at the cup

This playoffs is a referendum on MB like others have written

Winnipeg has done a great job developing players and were patient.  If you look at their draft history there have been few misses in the first round the last 10 years, almost none.  Maybe I am being overly hopeful but when I see Scheifele, I see a little bit of KK, a tall lanky guy who can really shoot the puck.  Scheifele didn't come into his own until he was 22-23,  maybe KK will do the same. 

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Winnipeg has done a great job developing players and were patient.  If you look at their draft history there have been few misses in the first round the last 10 years, almost none.  Maybe I am being overly hopeful but when I see Scheifele, I see a little bit of KK, a tall lanky guy who can really shoot the puck.  Scheifele didn't come into his own until he was 22-23,  maybe KK will do the same. 

If KK is anywhere close to be being the player Scheifele is, we will finally be in good shape at centre.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If KK is anywhere close to be being the player Scheifele is, we will finally be in good shape at centre.

Of course that might be three seasons away as Scheifele broke out as a legit 1C during the season he turned 23. 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Of course that might be three seasons away as Scheifele broke out as a legit 1C during the season he turned 23. 

If he turns into anything close to a Scheifele then the wait is most definitely worth it, 23 is still young.  People forget how young KK still is because he started at 18. He is only 20 folks, just 20!  Sometimes you need patience with young players.  When I see KK at 20, Suzuki at 21 and Caulfield at 20 I see the core of a pretty good forward group in a couple years and Toffoli and Anderson will still be in their prime.  I am more concerned about the defense group where they really need some of their prospects to develop and defenceman take longer. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic